Autumn Nations Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Autumn Nations Cup

Post by Crofty »

Much as I hate to agree with squidge rugbyover on the YouTubes he is right in saying that England's attack plan is all about hitting the opposition when they're not set up for defence i.e. off turnovers and kicks back to England. Georgia probably won't be easy to make kick back so we'll need turnovers, loose 5 forwards make turnovers happen at the breakdown so having an extra one on the field will be designed to allow those extra turnovers that will be needed to make up for the Georgian tendancy not to kick the ball back where others (Italy) might.

Of course it might just be Eddie being Eddie and amusing himself with the stir such a comment was bound to make.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Anyone else think that we should just teach the 13 and 11/14 to ruck properly
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:20 pm Anyone else think that we should just teach the 13 and 11/14 to ruck properly
Long term, that might be much more sensible. Players have become so much more multi skilled over the last decade, and I can only see that continuing in future years.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Exactly ... the trend is for all players get bigger, fitter and faster ... even the props can't afford to just be scrum demons they need to be fit and offload etc ... so the backs need to be expert in the breakdown as they get most exposed in space ... similarly the forwards need to be able to pass and see space as a modern game spreads resources in attack and defence usually pretty wide.

So don't for me put a forward on the wing and don't put a back at flanker either .. I think Jones is using these examples to stretch the envelope of the players skills and mindset ... you want a Jonny May taking a wide ball in space not Earl or Simmons ... and you want a hard case dog fetcher mostly hitting narrow highly contested rucks not your best stepper.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:04 pm Exactly ... the trend is for all players get bigger, fitter and faster ... even the props can't afford to just be scrum demons they need to be fit and offload etc ... so the backs need to be expert in the breakdown as they get most exposed in space ... similarly the forwards need to be able to pass and see space as a modern game spreads resources in attack and defence usually pretty wide.

So don't for me put a forward on the wing and don't put a back at flanker either .. I think Jones is using these examples to stretch the envelope of the players skills and mindset ... you want a Jonny May taking a wide ball in space not Earl or Simmons ... and you want a hard case dog fetcher mostly hitting narrow highly contested rucks not your best stepper.
Like I said earlier, we will just have to wait and see.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:25 am Sometimes you have to think outside the box with selections and tactics.
Anyone remember the tactics that Italy adopted against England........
Bergamasco at scrum half? That went well.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Tomorrows tournament opener Ireland Vs Wales (Fri 13 Nov) Free to Air on Channel 4 from 6:30 pm.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:07 am Tomorrows tournament opener Ireland Vs Wales (Fri 13 Nov) Free to Air on Channel 4 from 6:30 pm.
As are all the Ireland games - on Channel 4 that is.
And all the Wales games are on S4C, available on Sky, free. So if you don't like the Amazon commentators, you can watch it with Welsh commentary :smt003
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

England squad announced:

15. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 43 caps)
14. Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 51 caps)
13. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, 1 cap)
12. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 30 caps)
11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 57 caps)
10. Owen Farrell (c) (Saracens, 83 caps)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 100 caps)
1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 19 caps)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 50 caps)
3. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 4 caps)
4. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 16 caps)
5. Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 65 caps)
6. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 39 caps)
7. Jack Willis (Wasps, uncapped)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 52 caps)

FINISHERS

16. Tom Dunn, (Bath Rugby, 1 cap)
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 60 caps)
18. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 36 caps)
19. Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 4 caps)
20. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 24 caps)
21. Dan Robson (Wasps, 3 caps)
22. Max Malins (Bristol Bears, uncapped)
23. Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 3 caps)
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nice to see Genge start and Willis make his debut, as well as Max Malins if he comes off the bench.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Joseph starts on wing, is that so Earl can replace him?
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

So come on how do we see this tournament panning out?

From a personal point of view im more excited about seeing how a strong Fijian side thats had some prep time together fairs, hoping the Italians shut a few up who are calling for them to be removed from the six nations and learning more about the Georgians who seem to have a bit of an air of mystery about them like some bond villain army! :smt005
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:04 pm Exactly ... the trend is for all players get bigger, fitter and faster ... even the props can't afford to just be scrum demons they need to be fit and offload etc ... so the backs need to be expert in the breakdown as they get most exposed in space ... similarly the forwards need to be able to pass and see space as a modern game spreads resources in attack and defence usually pretty wide.

I seem to remember a certain Tom Croft doing all right hanging around on the wing and props began being more than scrummaging fat lads in the amateur days, our own Steve "tank" Redfern was one of the prototypes for the modern prop in the 1970's.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:25 am Sometimes you have to think outside the box with selections and tactics.
Anyone remember the tactics that Italy adopted against England........
More anti rugby than tactics,truly dreadful approach to a game!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Mamukashvili starting at hooker at least! Would imagine he will give Genge some advice in the front rows...

Georgia
Backs: 15. Lasha Khmaladze (83 caps, 53 points), 14. Akaki Tabutsadze (3 caps, 30 points), 13. Giorgi Kveseladze (25 caps, 20 points), 12. Merab Sharikadze (67 caps, 60 points, captain), 11. Sandro Svanidze (*), 10. Tedo Abzhandadze (16 caps, 53 points), 9. Gela Aprasidze (26 caps, 24 points);

Forwards: 1. Mikheil Nariashvili (62 caps, 10 points), 2. Shalva Mamukashvili (75 caps, 50 points), 3. Beka Gigashvili (14 caps, 5 points), 4. Lasha Jaiani (2 caps), 5. Grigor Kerdikoshvili (2 caps), 6. Beka Saginadze (13 caps, 5 points), 7. Giorgi Tkhilaishvili (58 caps, 60 points), 8. Beka Gorgadze (28 caps, 40 points);

Substitutes: 16. Jaba Bregvadze (59 caps, 15 points), 17. Guram Gogichashvili (15 caps, 5 points), 18. Lexo Kaulashvili (1 caps), 19. Otar Giorgadze (26 caps, 25 points), 20. Tornike Jalagonia (1 caps); 21. Vasil Lobzhanidze (52 caps, 40 points), 22. Deme Tapladze (3 caps, 5 points), 23. Sandro Todua (86 caps, 65 points)