LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by wormus »

Louis wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:09 pm Where's Wigglesworth going to play?

Behind Youngs?

Behind Youngs and White?

Behind Youngs and White and Simmons?

I'm happy we're signing a good player, but I think we have, if not an embarrassment of riches at 9, at least a decent showing. Sure he could cover when Youngs is with England, but can't White or Simmons? Bring the younger players on a bit. I'm not sure this is where I'd place my money, but then I am not a Director of Rugby or Head Coach at a world leading rugby club.
Or Behind Youngs and White and Jack Van Poortvliet? I think he will be a great coach and mentor to our 9's as well as a player. Coming from Sarries he will undoubtedly have a few tricks up his sleeves! :smt002
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Wigglesworth is a very good signing, played plenty of games and comes with great game management. White is a great player but still has much to learn and partnered with Henry they maybe lack some experience. Will also aid White and JVP’s development no doubt.

Hope the Luan de Bruin rumours are also true. Could still also do with either a 13 or left winger, hopefully we’ll have some news next week.
Louis

Post by Louis »

wormus wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:29 pm
Louis wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:09 pm Where's Wigglesworth going to play?

Behind Youngs?

Behind Youngs and White?

Behind Youngs and White and Simmons?

I'm happy we're signing a good player, but I think we have, if not an embarrassment of riches at 9, at least a decent showing. Sure he could cover when Youngs is with England, but can't White or Simmons? Bring the younger players on a bit. I'm not sure this is where I'd place my money, but then I am not a Director of Rugby or Head Coach at a world leading rugby club.
Or Behind Youngs and White and Jack Van Poortvliet? I think he will be a great coach and mentor to our 9's as well as a player. Coming from Sarries he will undoubtedly have a few tricks up his sleeves! :smt002
If nothing else, an excellent eye for a real estate deal...

(Good points all!)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I hve no issue with Wigglesworth being at Saracens, he did not force them to pay everyone too much, loyalty to an employer who treats you well is also good. His age is older but we have young scrum halves who need some guidance, for that he's perfect.

Also when there's England duty he's the perfect off the bench player to stabilise a game if needed.

Age profile he's the perfect age to transition to a player coach so no issues on that front.

Baa baa's here is my only issue with th guy and it's not even an issue for a ban (as his worth is as much on the field as it is training ground imparting wisdom) I am much more concerned about the fact we're bringing in a player who is going to be a senior leader and where he sits within the Tiger's values.

That said given he's signed on the dotted line I am willing to wipe the slate clean and give him a new start with us just that he really needs to prove he's whiter than white. I'll forgive but not forget...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

What happens if he gets a ban though for his Baabaas misdemeanour?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I worry where we are heading, I don't want us to become a Saracens clone type team, I would rather us never get back to the top than resort to their methods on & off the pitch.
This could be the thin end of the wedge.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:27 pm I worry where we are heading, I don't want us to become a Saracens clone type team, I would rather us never get back to the top than resort to their methods on & off the pitch.
Just because we sign one ex sarries player you are worried we will become a clone
A2O
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:30 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:27 pm I worry where we are heading, I don't want us to become a Saracens clone type team, I would rather us never get back to the top than resort to their methods on & off the pitch.
Just because we sign one ex sarries player you are worried we will become a clone
When Saracens started their "project" they said they wanted to be Leicester Tigers
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

If cloning their methods on the pitch means winning I will happily take it
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Borthwick has signed him because Wigglesworth is a winner. We have lots of talented players, but how many of them know how to win things? How many of them, deep down, really expect to win things?

It's someone else who thinks the same way Borthwick does, who has the same attitude and perspective. It's another person pushing Borthwick's culture. It's one more person who will be angry about every defeat, every failure, rather than shrugging his shoulders and having a laugh like we have so many times of recent years. It's not about what he brings on the pitch (although that might be very useful this season) but what he brings to the environment.

Borthwick's job isn't just to come in and tweak the tactics, kick a bit less here, a bit more there, fix the lineout. He is here to completely overhaul the environment and culture. Wigglesworth will help him do that.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

There will be times we need experienced heads to manage and control games. Without Youngs and Ford we are lacking this at half back
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Have taken Williams and Bower off the squad list
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:57 pm Have taken Williams and Bower off the squad list
Has Bower been released?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:05 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:57 pm Have taken Williams and Bower off the squad list
Has Bower been released?
They are both in the squad page still, interestingly they've changed all the photo's from last seasons kit to the new training kit which indicates they are both staying this season too
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:10 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:05 pm
Has Bower been released?
They are both in the squad page still, interestingly they've changed all the photo's from last seasons kit to the new training kit which indicates they are both staying this season too
Interesting. Thanks for the insight