Rob Taylor leaves on compassionate grounds

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Rob Taylor leaves on compassionate grounds

Post by Noggs »

Clearly we all thank Rob and wish him and his family well.

Regarding a replacement I feel sure that SB has a list of possible replacements in mind although it may take a little time to explore options and reach a conclusion.

These things happen and whilst not ideal in terms of timing a solution will be found.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Am I right in thinking Vesty recently signed an extension with Saints? He could have been a great option at Tigers.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:34 pm Am I right in thinking Vesty recently signed an extension with Saints? He could have been a great option at Tigers.
Or we could let him carry on learning at Saints and bring him in as Head Coach when Borthwick goes! :smt002
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Think we could all do with a bit more clarity from the club on the coaching front if possible, time for a LTTV Special?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

That won’t come till new coaches are announced.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:34 pm Am I right in thinking Vesty recently signed an extension with Saints? He could have been a great option at Tigers.
Saints allegedly blocked his move to England to take up the attack/backs coach there so can't see them accepting an approach for him to do the same here.

If Wigglesworth is joining could he be a player/coach? He did some coaching with Canada at the world cup, admittedly in defence but with his experience and leadership he might offer something.
Super User
Super User

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:24 pm
Saints allegedly blocked his move to England to take up the attack/backs coach there so can't see them accepting an approach for him to do the same here.

If Wigglesworth is joining could he be a player/coach? He did some coaching with Canada at the world cup, admittedly in defence but with his experience and leadership he might offer something.
Not wanted at Tigers thank you, his focus should be on defense against RFU charge.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think Murphy is "helping out" with this position.
Super User
Super User

Mauger is out of work at the moment.....
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

How about tempting Ant Allen back from Cov?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Obviously we don't know the nature of why he is leaving (nor should we expect to if it is personal rather then Tigers related) but it is increadibly difficultto have to recruit mid season.

Whilst the season hasn't officially started because of the Covid delays, the reality is coaches have got themselves contracted for the 20/21 season ages ago in much the same way the players have too which is why the loss of players with the contract dispute was difficult to manage.

Players and coaches would normally be contemplating their futures around now for the 21/22 season.

My thoughts are that finding a high calibre attack coach at this juncture won't be easy unless there are a few in the Southern Hemisphere coming to the end of their contract as their seasons draw to an end (although their seasons have been disrupted like ours)

Given past performance I would doubt we have the skills in house amongst the existing coaches. With best will in the world SB will have his hands full combining coaching the pack and head coach roles until Boris's replacement is found.

A big ask for Matt Smith. Ford snr is a proven defense coach but our attack under him did not suggest enough to persevere with him taking over full responsibility.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

MurphysLaw wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:50 am How about tempting Ant Allen back from Cov?
Think he’s mainly a defence coach rather than attack. That’s the worry, earlier in the year Vesty was coming out of contract and you had Alex King available. Now I don’t think there’s anyone on the market.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I am a bit worried about how we replace him, firstly who is out there and do we have the funds to be able to get them and anybody we do get will have to quarantine until the season has already begun unless they come from within the UK meaning more disjointedness
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:06 am
MurphysLaw wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:50 am How about tempting Ant Allen back from Cov?
Think he’s mainly a defence coach rather than attack. That’s the worry, earlier in the year Vesty was coming out of contract and you had Alex King available. Now I don’t think there’s anyone on the market.
Concur - he had a well deserved reputation as a player as the defensive organiser on the pitch. Presumably this would have been his initial strength as he transitioned into coaching.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=mol2 post_id=756341 time=1604576315 user_id=5173]
[quote=Leicestertinytiger post_id=756337 time=1604570784 user_id=12366]
[quote=MurphysLaw post_id=756332 time=1604566208 user_id=3365]
How about tempting Ant Allen back from Cov?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Concur - he had a well deserved reputation as a player as the defensive organiser on the pitch. Presumably this would have been his initial strength as he transitioned into coaching.
[/quote]

Actually, Ant is listed as Coventry's attack and skills coach. (James Scaysbrook is their defence coach).
I agree he was a very good defensive organiser, as all good 12s need to be (and something we have missed since his playing days imo). However, that doesn't preclude them being attack minded. Paddy Howard was the same.
After he had to stop playing, Ant started coaching the Academy lads, and I think it coincided with the start of the run of success that the Academy lads have had. I also think he was invited, along with one or two others, to take part in the England squad preparation at one point, as he was seen as an 'up and coming coach'.

Whoever comes in will need to work with Ford, and I am not sure how that might sit with 'big-name, established' backs coaches.