Gamesmanship shenanigans

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Gamesmanship shenanigans

Post by ay2oh »

Is anyone else finding it increasingly annoying with the constant gamesmanship in the game with things like patting the opponents on the head, whooping when you win a penalty or even just when you just win a scrum put in.
This needs to be stamped out of the game and in my view the referee needs to speak to both captains before kick off and warn them that a penalty will be given if any over exuberant celebrations take place.
A2O
SimonP in Surrey

Re: Gamesmanship shenanigans

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

100% agree .... too many teams do this including the backs getting their GPS metres covered stats boosted by sprinting to every scrum or breakdown that is won !! Not sure that the ABs do it as much as most tbh ... Note it's the one and only negative aspect of the otherwise stellar Itoje too.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I do in the large agree but I also heard one commentator state that in some ways with no crowd that without the crowd it is a way of trying to fire the team up and generate atmosphere.

That said it happened too much before lockdown too!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:33 pm Is anyone else finding it increasingly annoying with the constant gamesmanship in the game with things like patting the opponents on the head, whooping when you win a penalty or even just when you just win a scrum put in.
This needs to be stamped out of the game and in my view the referee needs to speak to both captains before kick off and warn them that a penalty will be given if any over exuberant celebrations take place.
It started with Danny Care...... :smt002
Actually, there was head patting in the old days and the front row celebrating when they won one against the head. However, if you took umbrage, there were ways of letting them know, which nowadays would be a red card.
My youngest (Nottingham Casuals) once had a try disallowed for unsportsmanlike behaviour as he grandstanded on the way to a solo score! (U14s of course).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don't mind in the sense that during these times it is needed to generate atmosphere with no fans (hence why the Saracens players are experts at it :smt003).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:33 pm I don't mind in the sense that during these times it is needed to generate atmosphere with no fans (hence why the Saracens players are experts at it :smt003).
You've won the internet today with that observation :smt023
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

A lot of peoples favourite English 2nd row at present is a horrendous perpetrator of this & other petty non rugby behaviour, it is time it was cut out of the game, or allow the appropriate response back into the game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fentiger wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:16 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:33 pm I don't mind in the sense that during these times it is needed to generate atmosphere with no fans (hence why the Saracens players are experts at it :smt003).
You've won the internet today with that observation :smt023
:smt035 :smt035
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I'd like this behaviour to be nipped in the bud before it becomes out of control.
For example, when a scrum penalty is awarded and nearly the whole team rush in to praise the prop forwards as if they've won the World Cup, it seems so over the top to me.
Conversely, when watching the 6Nations matches on Saturday some tries were scored, the try scorer and other players trotted back into their half as if nothing particular had happened and got on with the game.

The French commentator during the Italy v England game wasn't very impressed with the Italian players attempting to wind up the English players.
This must have no part in the game and club/international coaches and DoRs are responsible for ridding us of this behaviour.
Semper in excretia
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

As already noted, one of the worst exponents of this trait is the 'would be ' Lions Captain for many Maro Itoje.

One of the more distasteful aspects of 'professional' sport.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It is one thing the front row congratulating themselves for stuffing their opposite numbers but I wonder if a penalty reversal or two dished out for the arrogant head patting when a technical penalty is awarded might stop it.

As for whooping and hollerin' leave that to the numpties across the Atlantic. Don't see the likes of Martin Johnson dancing a jig when his side won a penalty. A grunt of "yes" and congatuating his team member.

For me there is far to much chat and perhaps the refs need to make it clear to the sides before the game that innapropriate chat and comments to the opposition and ridiculous celebrations will result in a reversal of scrum or penalty.

It's a poor example to show to kids. All comments to the ref should go via the captain unless initiated by the ref. End of.

A few more marching back 10m are needed like we saw in the Italy game too.
Or to quote the West Indian cricket umpire
"What do you think you can see from there boy?" in response to an LBW appeal from the fielder standing next to him at quare leg! This should be the level of distain shown by the refs to the rediculous calls of "Holding on" from the wing 30 yards away!

Shut up and get on with the game.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I also don't like it but I don't think it is a big problem in the scheme of things. Coaches and refs can easily discourage these antics and should.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Wayne & Nigel are pretty forceful about it, but not far enough.

Can you imagine what Julian would of done if patted on the head by an opponent when he had been adjudged of a scrum offence.

Not condoning violence in the game but in the not so distant past this type behaviour was self policed & kept out of the game.

Be interesting to find out what Deano thinks of it.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Castro was one of the worst for patting opposition players on the head when he played for us and no-one seemed to mind then..........................odd.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:49 am Castro was one of the worst for patting opposition players on the head when he played for us and no-one seemed to mind then..........................odd.
Most players would take one look at Castro and say 'fair enough' :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!