ITA vs ENG ... Handbags or Psychological Edge ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SimonP in Surrey

ITA vs ENG ... Handbags or Psychological Edge ?

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Opinions please ... not sure on my take to be honest ... but its seemed that for some of the match the ITA forwards were starting to get ENG quite rattled ... ITA more fired up, not willing to lose a pushing and shoving battle etc ... Tom Curry was influenced in particular and looked on the edge although he did have a decent game overall. So was it just handbag nonsense or should ENG have been more combatant ?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: ITA vs ENG ... Handbags or Psychological Edge ?

Post by jgriffin »

Polledri was having a go constantly - I though most English were trying not to be goaded, but agree Curry seemed to be on the edge.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Should have started with Genge - he would have wound up the Italian pack before they got close winding England’s cowards up and then wandered away from the handbags with a grin on his face.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:06 pm Polledri was having a go constantly - I though most English were trying not to be goaded, but agree Curry seemed to be on the edge.
I think something must have been said to Itoje as I have never seen him lose it before it is normally him who is the peace maker
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

mol2 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:21 pm Should have started with Genge - he would have wound up the Italian pack before they got close winding England’s cowards up and then wandered away from the handbags with a grin on his face.
I really liked Ben Kay's comments that Genge doesn't see red mist he winds the opposition up and then steps away with a smirk
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Perhaps trying for a red card so they had more chance???
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:21 pm Should have started with Genge - he would have wound up the Italian pack before they got close winding England’s cowards up and then wandered away from the handbags with a grin on his face.
Cowards? :smt017
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Glad you all noticed the underlying battle and it wasn't just me that misread it. There are clearly ways to keep the psychological advantage without getting carded ... one of which is to win and win well ... but closely after that you need a collective "take no :censored:" stance ... can you imagine RSA being treated like that by ITA ?
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

England are the only six nations side that Italy have never beaten. Nuff said.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Fair play to the Italian coaches, for too long the Italian team have been doormats for the other 6N teams so any way they can come up with to get in the faces of the opposition fair play (or not fair) to them, at least it makes a game of it, and I can see some teams loosing it in the face of such provocation, well done to England to keep a lid on their response.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:27 pm
I really liked Ben Kay's comments that Genge doesn't see red mist he winds the opposition up and then steps away with a smirk
Seen him do it times for Tigers. A few choice words, the melee follows and Genge seems able to distance himself from the handbags that he triggered, grinning to himself, the ref or the rest of his team to make sure he isn't penalised and the opposition distracted.

Imagine the effect he would have had on Julian White if their paths had crossed on opposing sides? Red card in no time!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Winding up the opposition has always been and will continue to be a part of the game. Players who allow themselves to become angry and upset make mistakes.and starting serious handbags can lead to cards.

Most good and experienced players deal with this well but there are a few who tend to over react and hence get targeted.

Genge is a master of the art of wind up and at times it is fun to see.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Noggs wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:50 amGenge is a master of the art of wind up and at times it is fun to see.
Is he? I've only seen him take other peoples bait, what have i missed?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Nothing wrong with aggression channeled in the correct manner.Too nice , too gentlemanly does not take you very far in professional sport.The great Leicester sides had attitude , and were not prepared to take a backward step.Times have changed , but attitude need not.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....