Commentators

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

alistu

Commentators

Post by alistu »

Having watched the Ireland France game, its time the BBC pensioned off Eddie Butler. What a bore even got told to shut up about stats by pit bull.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Commentators

Post by Old Hob »

I think there is a more serious problem and it doesn't just apply to Butler and that is when the referee is explaining a controversial
(or any, really) point and they talk over it and then comment on it instead of being quiet and letting us hear for ourselves. Having W Barnes explain why he's made that decision is so much more instructive and adds to the game.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:32 pm I think there is a more serious problem and it doesn't just apply to Butler and that is when the referee is explaining a controversial
(or any, really) point and they talk over it and then comment on it instead of being quiet and letting us hear for ourselves. Having W Barnes explain why he's made that decision is so much more instructive and adds to the game.
Absolutely! :smt023
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Personally I have always preferred Eddie's print journalism.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I have to say both of them annoy me and if I had just the ref link I would be on top of the world. Not straight, that's wrong, time should be taken off, stop the clock etc etc etc are all things many of us agree with but we don't ram them down each other's throats all game. I would love them to comment on the game rather than highlighting ref decisions.
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Winds me up when they were saying the ref was guessing at scrum when you can see clear infringements, like ok sometimes they'll reset if they don't see something, but the top ref's like Barnes I think ref the scrum fairly well. Ok some of the lower level aren't great. The "refs are guessing" type conversations just mean you see more criticism of refs in club games.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

alistu wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:36 pm Having watched the Ireland France game, its time the BBC pensioned off Eddie Butler. What a bore even got told to shut up about stats by pit bull.
I think Pit Bull May be under some scrutiny too, given his comments.

Basically the sooner the pair are replaced the better. Let’s face it, Pit Bull is Stuart Barnes’ era; out of date.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:36 pm
alistu wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:36 pm Having watched the Ireland France game, its time the BBC pensioned off Eddie Butler. What a bore even got told to shut up about stats by pit bull.

Basically the sooner the pair are replaced the better. Let’s face it, Pit Bull is Stuart Barnes’ era; out of date.
He isn't Barnes though which is a huge plus.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:36 pm

He isn't Barnes though which is a huge plus.
This is a fair point. And he only commentates 5 times per year.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Butler and Pitbull passed their sell by date many years back, I assume they are now playing Statler and Waldorf as an in joke between them
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:02 am Butler and Pitbull passed their sell by date many years back, I assume they are now playing Statler and Waldorf as an in joke between them
At least Stadler and Waldorf had the redeeming feature of being vaguely amusing.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I like Pitbull. He often gives a good insight into what is going on is the scrum and unlike some tends not to be 'one eyed' when covering an England game. If he thinks we are in the wrong he is happy to say just that.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:02 am Butler and Pitbull passed their sell by date many years back, I assume they are now playing Statler and Waldorf as an in joke between them
Neither has the mental capacity/sense of humour to do so! :smt119
Louis

Post by Louis »

I enjoy Brian Moore's commentary for it's bluntness and accuracy, I enjoy Eddie Butler's commentary for the accents and every time Teddy Thomas touches the ball the man practically has an intimate personal moment and cries the player's name in a manner that is borderline indecent.

If either were replaced, I'd live. Maybe time to give Squidge Rugby a go...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Louis wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:46 pm I enjoy Brian Moore's commentary for it's bluntness and accuracy, I enjoy Eddie Butler's commentary for the accents and every time Teddy Thomas touches the ball the man practically has an intimate personal moment and cries the player's name in a manner that is borderline indecent.

If either were replaced, I'd live. Maybe time to give Squidge Rugby a go...
If that's Johnathan Davies you are referring to then, No No No Thanks dreadful.