Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by JP14 »

This would be awesome if true, however the selfish Unions will throw a hissy fit though...

https://twitter.com/pineyzb/status/1296 ... 16193?s=21
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Warren Gatland gives some early thoughts on squad composition:

https://www.ruck.co.uk/warren-gatland-n ... -lions-xv/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:47 am Warren Gatland gives some early thoughts on squad composition:

Does anyone else think that Alun Wyn Jones is the most over-rated rugby player on the planet ?
A2O
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Re the quote about Alan Wyn Jones being the most over rated rugby player on the planet.
You don’t get 100 plus international caps if your not a superb player who is rated by some of the top coaches in the world.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:43 am Am I being harsh, not really, there was a real chance we could have won in 2017 but that was wasted because of a nonexistent attacking structure and poor selection in the squad as a whole (no Ford, too many Welsh players that weren’t in form) and we dragged out a draw because of an incorrect officiating.
Not harsh, just biased.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am I wouldn’t have taken Alun Whn Jones but that’s a given, I wasn’t completely sold on Warburton captaining as well but I suppose he did as well as he could.
And clueless!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Surprised by the absence of Liam Williams, IMO he should be a nailed on starter. Still to be convinced by Hogg...
[/quote]

I agree on Hogg. I think he's so over rated. He's one of the best of an average Scotland team. If he was English, Welsh or Irish, there would be nothing like the hype. He'll more than likely tour as there's a pressure to take some Scots but my test fullback would be Williams, Watson or Larmour.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:23 am Re the quote about Alan Wyn Jones being the most over rated rugby player on the planet.
You don’t get 100 plus international caps if your not a superb player who is rated by some of the top coaches in the world.
Not saying he wasn’t a very good player at one time but surely there are now better and younger locks around. Smacks of favouritism by Gatland if you ask me
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The Boks kick a lot, you want a FB secure under the high ball, Williams is the best....when fit, he has to be in the back 3 with May, to me that makes it Watson v Hogg for the 3rd position, I wouldn't discount Halfpenny either, he seems to be slowly absorbing the Scarlets style.

As for AWJ, would of had him at Tigers in a heartbeat, the exact type of player we have been missing.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:06 am The Boks kick a lot, you want a FB secure under the high ball, Williams is the best....when fit, he has to be in the back 3 with May, to me that makes it Watson v Hogg for the 3rd position, I wouldn't discount Halfpenny either, he seems to be slowly absorbing the Scarlets style.

As for AWJ, would of had him at Tigers in a heartbeat, the exact type of player we have been missing.
We will have to agree to disagree then
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Dokie wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:33 am
JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am I wouldn’t have taken Alun Whn Jones but that’s a given, I wasn’t completely sold on Warburton captaining as well but I suppose he did as well as he could.
And clueless!
Please enlighten me why.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

JP14 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:27 pm
And clueless!
Please enlighten me why.
Where to start!
AWJ - top performing British lock for the best part of a decade. Along with Retallick, the best pairing in the world for much of that time too.
Up there with Johnno as a leader of men and an influencer of referees. Rarely makes errors or wrong decisions, top of his trade in set pieces, deceptively quick around the park, runs good support lines and has very good hands for a front 5 forward. Immense engine, consistently high tackle count and a total nuisance at the breakdown.
Will start alongside Itoje next summer. Despite being mid-30s, there’s no drop off in performance. Good shout for captain too.
Your turn to give an alternative appraisal. Try your best to make it rational rather than an anti-Welsh rant!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Dokie wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:51 pm
And clueless!
Please enlighten me why.
Where to start!
AWJ - top performing British lock for the best part of a decade. Along with Retallick, the best pairing in the world for much of that time too.
Up there with Johnno as a leader of men and an influencer of referees. Rarely makes errors or wrong decisions, top of his trade in set pieces, deceptively quick around the park, runs good support lines and has very good hands for a front 5 forward. Immense engine, consistently high tackle count and a total nuisance at the breakdown.
Will start alongside Itoje next summer. Despite being mid-30s, there’s no drop off in performance. Good shout for captain too.
Your turn to give an alternative appraisal. Try your best to make it rational rather than an anti-Welsh rant!
Sorry if this is a private argument with jp14 but imo AWJ is now past his best and my lions locks would be Two of Itoje, Gray and Lawes. Let’s be honest the only reason why AWJ has won so many caps is the lack of quality locks in Wales and the fact that he was one of Gatlands favourites
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:47 am Warren Gatland gives some early thoughts on squad composition:

Does anyone else think that Alun Wyn Jones is the most over-rated rugby player on the planet ?
Yes,definitely!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:51 pm
And clueless!
Please enlighten me why.
Where to start!
Hahahahaha,stop trolling 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer