Ford out of England Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Ford out of England Squad

Post by Noggs »

Ford has not been included in the England squad for the Autumn leaving just Youngs and Genge:

ENGLAND SQUAD

Backs
Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 83 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 2 caps)
Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 13 caps)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 50 caps)
Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)
Max Malins (Bristol Bears, uncapped)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 3 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 56 caps)
Dan Robson (Wasps, 2 caps)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 29 caps)
Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
Jacob Umaga (Wasps, uncapped)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 43 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 99 caps)

Forwards
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 23 caps)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 3 caps)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 18 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 49 caps)
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors, 1 cap)
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 38 caps)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 65 caps)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 8 caps)
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Jack Singleton (Gloucester Rugby, 3 caps)
Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 35 caps)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 18 caps)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 51 caps)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 59 caps)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps)
Jack Willis (Wasps, uncapped)
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford out of England Squad

Post by RagingBull »

Would be brilliant for us I not for the fear that his injury might be a bit more serious than first thought.

Nevermind
"Elliot Daly, George Ford and Joe Marler will join up with the squad for reconditioning."
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Eddie Jones must be the only person in the country who thinks Jacob Umaga is a better pick than Joe Simmonds.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm Eddie Jones must be the only person in the country who thinks Jacob Umaga is a better pick than Joe Simmonds.
Well Eddie thinks Daly is an International Full Back.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm Eddie Jones must be the only person in the country who thinks Jacob Umaga is a better pick than Joe Simmonds.
I can only think that Jones feels Simmonds is a worse version of Farrell. Doesn't offer enough as a playmaker to push Farrell to 12 but isn't any stronger at Farrell's strengths to challenge him at 10. I'd disagree and would pick Simmonds over Umaga with Smith injured. Just a thought on why he might be overlooked though.

Umaga has been really good overall this season when Gopperth is outside him. He's still inexperienced and shows inconsistency at times but is repaying the faith Wasps showed by signing him to their senior academy on what was basically a senior contract wage wise.

If the day comes when Umaga (Wasps) and Costelow (Scarlets) pops up on a 6 Nations team sheet for England vs Wales it will be frustrating viewing.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Umaga with Farrell at 12 will work, Simmonds with Farrell won't, that's probably what it boils down to. I do feel sorry for Sam as I feel he warrants another call up but hey-ho.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:01 pm Umaga with Farrell at 12 will work, Simmonds with Farrell won't, that's probably what it boils down to. I do feel sorry for Sam as I feel he warrants another call up but hey-ho.
Back row strength is pretty ridiculous to be fair.

6.T Curry, T Hill, Willis
7.Underhill, Ludlam
8.Vunipola, Earl

That's with Wilson and Lawes injured as well.

I can't wait to see Ted Hill at international level. The way he dominates contact is similar to Tom Curry and Underhill when they burst into senior rugby.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It's interesting with Costelow surprised that he hasn't featured in the first 3 games for Scarlets. Arguably he most likely would've played in all the games Henry did this season if he stayed.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:10 pm It's interesting with Costelow surprised that he hasn't featured in the first 3 games for Scarlets. Arguably he most likely would've played in all the games Henry did this season if he stayed.
Am I right in saying he hasn't featured at all outside of the friendly with Dragons where he scored off the bench?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:10 pm It's interesting with Costelow surprised that he hasn't featured in the first 3 games for Scarlets. Arguably he most likely would've played in all the games Henry did this season if he stayed.
Did warn that Scarlets might be a graveyard stretch......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

This :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I hope Ben gets the nod against Italy. 100 caps will be a great achievement and he should go on to get many more. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ABClub wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:05 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:01 pm Umaga with Farrell at 12 will work, Simmonds with Farrell won't, that's probably what it boils down to. I do feel sorry for Sam as I feel he warrants another call up but hey-ho.
Back row strength is pretty ridiculous to be fair.

6.T Curry, T Hill, Willis
7.Underhill, Ludlam
8.Vunipola, Earl

That's with Wilson and Lawes injured as well.

I can't wait to see Ted Hill at international level. The way he dominates contact is similar to Tom Curry and Underhill when they burst into senior rugby.
Everyone moaning that Dombrandt hasn’t been included but think Eddie is right in that Earl is the more rounded player with the better work rate to cover 8. Simmonds I don’t think is big enough at test level, shame cos he could have made a great flanker.

Be interesting to see who drops out when Wilson is fit again. Hill for me is miles ahead of Willis who I think showed at the weekend he has some limitations. Yet everyone seems to love him. Hill is a beast both in defence and attack.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not sure Wilson will get back in when fit.
He is a fine player but there are several there who are arguably just as good already and considerably younger and should get better.
England nearly won the world cup but to take it to the next stage they need to to give the yonger players time to settle into international rugby so that may mean some of the older players find their international careers over. England lost the final in the front row which is why I'm surprised to see Macko there.

Willis can't be far off. Outrageously effective at turning the ball over, has he got the all round game to back that up? There would seem to be a host of back rows fighting for the 3 berths so some will be disappointed.

The other question is whether Farrell is the best captain given he may well not be a certain starter - is he the best fly half? The best inside centre? I would make Itoje captain.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Sport is all about opinions. There are some on here who think Thacker is an international class hooker and that Castro would make a good scrum coach despite having no coaching pedigree :smt003
A2O