Super User

George Ford

Post by Old Hob »

Is out of England's game on Sunday with an Achilles tendon problem
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
SthrnTiger

Re: George Ford

Post by SthrnTiger »

As someone whose had to manage an Achilles injury for the last 5 years I find this pretty worrying.

Tigers report suggested he’s been carrying this for the back end of the season so may partly explain the out of sorts performance against Toulon.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I ruptured my Achilles’ tendon a few years ago and if you manage the rehab correctly there should be no long term problem. George does not have a tear as far as I am aware so providing the tigers medical team look after him and he does not overtrain he should be ok
A2O
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He didn't seem his normal self after the restart - ran less than normal so may have been carrying the injury.

Some achilles problems are painful but insignificant in terms of serious complications like rupture, others have to be managed carefully to avoid rupture. Even ostensibly healthy achilles can go bang if your luck's out.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

When he returns we will be desperate to see him back to his best.
Speedy recovery .....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

His form since the break has been variable ranging from 'decent' to shocker'. The injury may well have had something to do with this and just highlights how silly it is to rush to judgement when not in possession of all the facts.

He may have a problem winning his place back in the team.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Rod
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rod »

I had a chronic achilles problem a few years back and saw an NHS consultant who works with Loughborough University. He has pioneered an operation where your achilles tendon is injected with about 50cc of a simple saline solution. The nurse trying to pump all the 50ccs into my ankle had more pain than I did and the result was a complete success. No pain or soreness since. Hope George gets as good treatment.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Along with the Toulon performance, it may explain why Henry got the late nod to play first XV vs Saints
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Big fan of George but I think A) a rest will do him good and B) this should mean that Joe Simmonds gets a crack for England which he fully deserves.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Being rational, , methinks George's England days are numbered, as well as Youngs-----------for obvious reasons------- so this can only benefit the Tigers. But Achilles injuries are worrying, nevertheless.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 pm Being rational, , methinks George's England days are numbered, as well as Youngs-----------for obvious reasons------- so this can only benefit the Tigers. But Achilles injuries are worrying, nevertheless.
He's going to come under more pressure over the next few years. Farrell is 29 though so he's not getting any younger and for a player that basis so much of his game on physicality I'd be surprised if he stayed at the highest level into his mid thirties unless he can change his game. Ford at 27 and with the style of rugby he plays should have more longevity.

Simmonds is the only real threat currently. Smith and Umaga still have issues with their game they need to work out before they step up to international rugby. Smith is probably not far off he just needs to improve the tactical side of his game and learn some patience. Umaga blows too hot or cold and seems to lean heavily on Gopperth at 12.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:19 pm
fortysix wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 pm Being rational, , methinks George's England days are numbered, as well as Youngs-----------for obvious reasons------- so this can only benefit the Tigers. But Achilles injuries are worrying, nevertheless.
He's going to come under more pressure over the next few years. Farrell is 29 though so he's not getting any younger and for a player that basis so much of his game on physicality I'd be surprised if he stayed at the highest level into his mid thirties unless he can change his game. Ford at 27 and with the style of rugby he plays should have more longevity.

Simmonds is the only real threat currently. Smith and Umaga still have issues with their game they need to work out before they step up to international rugby. Smith is probably not far off he just needs to improve the tactical side of his game and learn some patience. Umaga blows too hot or cold and seems to lean heavily on Gopperth at 12.
Agreed, Farrell and Ford are head and shoulders the best no.10s in the country and can’t see that changing any time in the future. Simmonds probably the next most rounded player but does he just look good for Exeter.

Youngs maybe won’t be playing for England in 2021. Spencer and Robson are the in form options and Mitchell looks like he could have something special about him.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

England injury update on George Ford :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/england- ... ry-update/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Regardless of form or fitness are Lenny and George.... And Faz for that matter, going to be the answer for the next world cup? If the answer is no then it's time to start looking elsewhere. If others are not ready then delaying a change will ensure we're not ready come world Cup time.

IMHO, coat in hand.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For as long as Eddie Jones is head coach, and the triumvirate are fit/not banned; neither Youngs, Ford nor Farrell will be dropped.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni