Offside at a kick off

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rod
Top Cat
Top Cat

Offside at a kick off

Post by Rod »

I am continually annoyed by seemingly all referees who allow several players to run offside at a restart. Almost invariably the player making the tackle is the one most offside. It kills counter attacking. Hopefully it will be policed next season - written more in hope than expectation!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Offside at a kick off

Post by chewbacca »

Along with squint put-ins, stepping towards your side for a throw-in and forward passes not a prayer. All in the name of letting the game flow of course.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

If I had a £1 for every time ......
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Noggs wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:24 pm If I had a £1 for every time ......
They could perhaps use this in those outdated contracts. :smt005
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

BFG wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:32 pm
Noggs wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:24 pm If I had a £1 for every time ......
They could perhaps use this in those outdated contracts. :smt005
:smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Yes: lots of the games I’ve watched this season sees players offside, and by quite a few metres, but I’ve only seen Tigers( once) and Wasps ( once) pinged.

Hookers stepping a metre onto the pitch before throwing in also bugs me but Tom Young’s usually stays behind or on the line!!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I do get fed up with offside at kickoff, and in general. Badly policed all round. Squint put-ins? So many throws down the nearside channel through the locks feet as to be normal. The game is being let to ruin in the names of 'continuity' and 'entertainment'.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Squint feeds and dodgy lineout tactics are even more frustrating given that properly enforcing them could solve some bigger issues.

The maul being such an unstoppable weapon now can be tedious but forcing hookers to stand in the centre of the lineout, behind the touchline and throw straight would likely lead to fewer throws to the tail which is where mauls are hardest to defend.

Packs getting heavier and heavier, notably with hookers becoming a third prop is an issue from a injury prevention perspective. If hookers actually had to hook they'd need to be more agile which usually means losing a few pounds. That brings players such as Thacker into the international frame more which would make the game a better one.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Rod wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 am I am continually annoyed by seemingly all referees who allow several players to run offside at a restart. Almost invariably the player making the tackle is the one most offside. It kills counter attacking. Hopefully it will be policed next season - written more in hope than expectation!
Totally with you on this one Rod. It’s especially annoying because it’s easy to spot. You can probably buy software that spots in for you.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:34 am I do get fed up with offside at kickoff, and in general. Badly policed all round. Squint put-ins? So many throws down the nearside channel through the locks feet as to be normal. The game is being let to ruin in the names of 'continuity' and 'entertainment'.
What this man said........ In spades
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:44 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:34 am I do get fed up with offside at kickoff, and in general. Badly policed all round. Squint put-ins? So many throws down the nearside channel through the locks feet as to be normal. The game is being let to ruin in the names of 'continuity' and 'entertainment'.
What this man said........ In spades
..... and buckets
Semper in excretia
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Box Kicks too, runners are nearly always in front of the kicker.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I remember a couple of seasons back in the same match at the Ricoh when Spencer got a red card, a Wasps kick off to deep in our twenty two near touch Nathan Hughes who with others had been at least two yards offside at the kick completely nailed our receiver (Adam Thompstone I think), leading to a Wasp's try. The referee was informed about the offside and instead of reviewing just said he would watch out for it next time. Referees are spoiling so many games by deliberately ignoring some basic rules most of the time, offsides, forward passes, crooked feeds, Hookers feet infield at the lineout then they get really pedantic at try times with slo-mo television detecting breaks in contact with the ball not visible to the naked eye.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Couldn't agree more.

Perhaps we could have a "Hawkeye" equivalent in the premiership? The players have transponders in their shirts for flagging up high impacts that might merit HIAs. Wouldn't think it that difficult to do for kick offs. If the player's transponder was in front of the line at the moment of impact -penalty. Harder for rucks as tech won't know if the ball is out.

Simple enough for forward passes too. Would get rid of which way was the arm pointing twaddle and whether it was clearly forwards or not. I may well scream if I hear another ref mention momentum! The basic premice of rugby is that the ball can only have forward momentum whilst being carried or kicked forwards. Everything else is just a silly excuse for allowing forward passes.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Agreed. If the ball is taken in advance of whence it came its forward. Momentum humbug.
I'm not cynical just experienced