European finals 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: European finals 2020

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:30 pm TigerCam, yes SWComms has been an interesting vehicle used to obscure financial dealing. However Rowe has always canvassed investors, and the more recent influx of Londonistas are seriously minted; Sandy Park is becoming the epicentre of the eastward spread of Exeter with much more development on its way, including the stadium.
Plenty of wealthy ex-Londoners in Gloucestershire, Bristol and Bath - plus of course all the wealthy still-Londoners close to The Stoop and Allianz. I don't think Exeter have any advantage in this respect.

P.S. Not everyone from London is minted.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There are comparisons between successful Tigers & the Chiefs now, one of the glaring differences is the Chiefs backs look far more creative & skillful than Cockers era backs.
The ignoring of the Academy was on Cockers watch, the boring play developed under him, he isn't the only cause but a considerable part of it.
Mauger/Cockerill was a brave move by the BoD the problem was they didn't set up the parameters properly.
As for MOC he really has made a mess of our club over 2 stints here.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

One thing I have to credit Exeter is smart recruitment and bringing the best of players being brought in, which is something I think we will start to see at Tigers with McGinty and Borthwick.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am a huge Cockers fan (had to make sure there was no typo there!!) and think that if he had been given a DOR and he remained head coach we would have carried on being top 4. I think as some other poster put was he is a great manager for getting a team ready for game day. Proof is in the pudding, top 4 finishes, titles and the same with Toulon and Edinburgh and their upward curve with him in charge. He had his faults but think he was Tigers through and through.
Time moves on and can’t see him coming back but he would be welcome in my head.
Think Exeter have done great and their team win because they are a machine. Can’t stop winning, like we used to be. Baxter won’t be there forever and I think that is the crunch, succession planning and what to do now you are there to be shot down.
Deserved win and should be a great final next weekend.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The evidence is winners to losing finalists to losing semi finalists to not getting in the playoffs. Not positive if we didn’t qualify while still under Cockers but a gradual decline for all to see! Not gonna mention any of the shambolic drubbings under him!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:42 pm The evidence is winners to losing finalists to losing semi finalists to not getting in the playoffs. Not positive if we didn’t qualify while still under Cockers but a gradual decline for all to see! Not gonna mention any of the shambolic drubbings under him!
All teams get a spanking. There is will always be shambolic performances by any team in any sport. Sure The All Blacks have taken a drubbing before now. We didn’t move with the times, there is no real argument about that. My point being is that if Cockers had a DOR looking at everything else, like the Academy then I think we would have moved forward. We didn’t and we are where we are. That is life. No one stays at the top of the tree for ever. Would rather be in the a Semi final and Final because you are 1 or 2 games from a trophy.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:52 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:42 pm The evidence is winners to losing finalists to losing semi finalists to not getting in the playoffs. Not positive if we didn’t qualify while still under Cockers but a gradual decline for all to see! Not gonna mention any of the shambolic drubbings under him!
All teams get a spanking. There is will always be shambolic performances by any team in any sport. Sure The All Blacks have taken a drubbing before now. We didn’t move with the times, there is no real argument about that. My point being is that if Cockers had a DOR looking at everything else, like the Academy then I think we would have moved forward. We didn’t and we are where we are. That is life. No one stays at the top of the tree for ever. Would rather be in the a Semi final and Final because you are 1 or 2 games from a trophy.
But he didn’t,his shelf life had expired. He’s gone,old news,people have to get over it!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:23 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:52 pm
But he didn’t,his shelf life had expired. He’s gone,old news,people have to get over it!
I am over Cockers being at Tigers as said and don’t think he should come back. But that doesn’t mean you can’t think what might have been. I think most people are over Cockers if not all but we all like the what ifs.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:00 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:30 pm TigerCam, yes SWComms has been an interesting vehicle used to obscure financial dealing. However Rowe has always canvassed investors, and the more recent influx of Londonistas are seriously minted; Sandy Park is becoming the epicentre of the eastward spread of Exeter with much more development on its way, including the stadium.
Plenty of wealthy ex-Londoners in Gloucestershire, Bristol and Bath - plus of course all the wealthy still-Londoners close to The Stoop and Allianz. I don't think Exeter have any advantage in this respect.

Stop twisting what I am saying. From the time the Met Office moved next to J29, Exeter has been on an inflationary curve, so much so that three of my siblings could not afford to buy housing. The two who are well enough off (live on Bishops Way next to the suspension bridge and are Chiefs STHs, North Stand) are the ones who comment on the Londonistas. I made no comment as to rich people elsewhere or poor Londoners.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

This thread is wandering way off topic but I would like to point out that Rob Baxter developed a lot of his skills when he was still player/coach at Exeter by coaching at Exeter University. There, he got hands on performance software that championship (and probably some top flight clubs) did not have and he had a hundred plus lads to play with on a constant conveyer belt. (He was also still farming at this point but that's by the by.) This was invaluable experience without the financial pressures.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:00 pm

Stop twisting what I am saying. From the time the Met Office moved next to J29, Exeter has been on an inflationary curve, so much so that three of my siblings could not afford to buy housing. The two who are well enough off (live on Bishops Way next to the suspension bridge and are Chiefs STHs, North Stand) are the ones who comment on the Londonistas. I made no comment as to rich people elsewhere or poor Londoners.
I didn't say you did make a comment about rich people elsewhere or poor londoners :smt017
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:40 pm Baxter won’t be there forever
Nothing lasts forever for sure but I don't think Baxter is going anywhere soon. He's a family man, loves the set up down there, gets on well with the owner. The only potential job he'd move for is the England job but Jones is contracted until the RWC in 2023 and even then there is a question over if Baxter would want it the above. I think the Chiefs will be competing with the top dogs for several years to come.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Some very selective memories here, or maybe people remember but pretend things were not as they were but as they wished them to be.
This message board was bristling with comments during Cockers term lamenting the lack of flair the boring forward play, winning was not enough, no we wanted flair, style fancy dan barbarian style rugby, winning with 4 tries from line outs was boring and brought the Tigers into disrepute, it was not just on this board but from the gods of the 4th estate as well!

Cockers big mistake was to not be experienced and confident enough in himself to ignore the claptrap on this board and elsewhere, the Tigers decline started when he tried to appease the selfsame people who now decry him.

Winning in itself was not supposed to be enough, we had to win with style was the cry!

Are the same people now watching and congratulating Exeter?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There were not too many negative comments when we were winning but the writing was on the wall to see that we were a diminshing force as far back as the Cockers era.

Even back then when we had a dominant pack of forwards we were starting to struggle to convert possession into points.
Exeter are an evolution of the Tigers' way - a pack that won't let you go when they have you by the throat and backs to run through the gaps made by the forwards and working together as a unit.

Pragmatic kicking rather than always kicking as a tactical ploy (wasteful kicking has blighted us since the Meyer period and that has yet to be reversed), a pack that retain the ball when they truck it up and are willing to spin it wide when the gaps have opened.
Simple, pragmatic, winning rugby. Not what I call boring. I like watching Rugby Union not Rugby League or basketball which is what I suspect that some think the TV audience wants.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mol2 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:38 pm There were not too many negative comments when we were winning but the writing was on the wall to see that we were a diminshing force as far back as the Cockers era.

Even back then when we had a dominant pack of forwards we were starting to struggle to convert possession into points.
Exeter are an evolution of the Tigers' way - a pack that won't let you go when they have you by the throat and backs to run through the gaps made by the forwards and working together as a unit.

Pragmatic kicking rather than always kicking as a tactical ploy (wasteful kicking has blighted us since the Meyer period and that has yet to be reversed), a pack that retain the ball when they truck it up and are willing to spin it wide when the gaps have opened.
Simple, pragmatic, winning rugby. Not what I call boring. I like watching Rugby Union not Rugby League or basketball which is what I suspect that some think the TV audience wants.
Pretty well my view too. I seriously hated the short Meyer period, almost as much as after I sussed MOC out.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.