LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

So what scrum coaches are about?
Marcos was player coach in his last couple years and is doing coaching clinics for Tigers still, but he has a business going in Argentina.

Any top veteran players looking for their first coaching role?

Is Dan Cole coach material or is he still a couple year away from looking to be a player coach?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Cagey Tiger »

What's Castro doing these days :smt002
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Dan Cole in a couple of years, but still first choice in his position so probably a bit early.

I think if Ayerza was interested in going into coaching full time he would have done it by now, he wouldn't be short of offers, but who knows.

I'm not convinced Castro is the coaching type.

Rory Best? Ghiraldini? Do hookers often make good scrum coaches? Not really my area of expertise.

Ben Franks?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Anyone who looks at my signature realizes I did my best to stay as far from scrums as possible, so I'm no expert.

However Castro was really good mates with our DOR, enough that they opened a restaurant together, so if he's intrested in coaching GM probably is aware...

If there's any people interested in a scrum coah role, Tigers has got to be an attractive role, club famous for a good scrum, front row players include quite a few international front rowers

T. Youngs Lions & England
D. Cole Lions & England
E. Genge England
N. Leatigaga Samoa
F. Gienga Argentina

Maybe soon even J.Heyes England?

Plus if the club is on the up then being their as the revival starts is going to look great on the CV.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I say we go left field and bring in Rocky Clark as scrum coach.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Shame Marc dal Maso just signed a new contract with Brive.
Given his history with Borthwick might have been a good fit.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There is a certain Local Farmer who might be a good man to call on....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:15 pm There is a certain Local Farmer who might be a good man to call on....
Would that be the Local Farmer who hasn't been involved in rugby for 8 years, is happy he got out of it when he did and sees himself as having been an amateur rugby player?

If so, I'd be in favour :smt023
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

As the current season draws to an end and the long international break starts is it time for episode 5 of this thread - Internationals Strike Back
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I was only joking when I mentioned Castro earlier, but:

https://www.ruck.co.uk/martin-castrogio ... er-tigers/

I know its The Ruck, but they are quoting The Rugby Paper, which I don't get, so...

If true, it will be ammunition for the "we can't employ ex-Tigers" and anti GM brigade - "it's because he owns a restaurant with GM".
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:08 am I was only joking when I mentioned Castro earlier, but:

I know its The Ruck, but they are quoting The Rugby Paper, which I don't get, so...

If true, it will be ammunition for the "we can't employ ex-Tigers" and anti GM brigade - "it's because he owns a restaurant with GM".
The Ruck are always worth a read , their 2 plus 2 equals whatever we like approach can be disconcerting however.
To me , it never has , nor never will make the slightest difference as to whether we employ ex-Tigers in whatever positions or not.Remember Boris S was an ex-Tiger. The only things that matter is that who ever we (The Club) employ in whatever capacity he/she simply has to be (all round, whatever criteria used) the best candidate for the position.Any decision has to be based upon what he/she can bring to The Club and not who he/she was....

As an aside and at some future period ,the one man I'd want to see back and working for The Club again is
Graham Rowntree - more than earned his spurs and genuinely Leicester through and through.Admittedly heart ruling head - but the justification is that the man is genuinely good (International class) at what he does.Again, stress , this has nothing to do with the current coaching situation.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Like many of you, I have very fond memories of Castro, but is he an experienced coach? The answer has got to be no and therefore he is not a good fit for us. Neither is our local farmer. SB must have some ideas and contacts and I will wait to see who he wants to work with. Don't think the obvious choice (GR) could be persuaded to leave Munster but I live in hope.
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:42 am
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:08 am I was only joking when I mentioned Castro earlier, but:

The Ruck are always worth a read , their 2 plus 2 equals whatever we like approach can be disconcerting however.
To me , it never has , nor never will make the slightest difference as to whether we employ ex-Tigers in whatever positions or not.Remember Boris S was an ex-Tiger. The only things that matter is that who ever we (The Club) employ in whatever capacity he/she simply has to be (all round, whatever criteria used) the best candidate for the position.Any decision has to be based upon what he/she can bring to The Club and not who he/she was....

As an aside and at some future period ,the one man I'd want to see back and working for The Club again is
Graham Rowntree - more than earned his spurs and genuinely Leicester through and through.Admittedly heart ruling head - but the justification is that the man is genuinely good (International class) at what he does.Again, stress , this has nothing to do with the current coaching situation.
You beat me to it
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I was watching the Champions Cup final last night and I recalled how since the signing of Jonny Gray, how little Jannes Kirsten has played for the Chiefs... wonder if he could be an option for a medical joker to cover Lavanini?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The rugby paper wasn't linking Tigers to Castro.

Basically.
Tigers are looking for a scrum coach and could do no worst than looking close to home in Castrogiovanni.

That was pretty much it.