Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Legal case with ex-players

Post by ourla »

Did I miss it?

I thought something was going to be announced a few days ago?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Legal case with ex-players

Post by h's dad »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:01 pm Did I miss it?

I thought something was going to be announced a few days ago?
https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... r-players/
It seems to be a bit overdue. Even if it was settled on a non-disclosure basis you would think there would be a release to say it was settled...
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Reference was made to the case in 'The Rugby Paper' 4th Oct...
Neil Fissler intimated that Leicester were seeking a further extension in order to decide dow to proceed.Presume this was granted as nothing further heard....As to the duration ( if applicable) , nothing specified.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If we are really in so much trouble (plus Glaws) and there is any danger of going into administration (not seen or heard that), they will get nothing at all. I know the legal route was flagged when they left, but, with the exception of Eastmond, they were all snapped up by other clubs. IMHO we should fight it IF the lawyers think we can win so that we are fair to the lads who did take the 25% cut. I for one, will not welcome any of them if they are the cause of the collapse of our club - always assuming the club rises from the ashes.
Hehehehehehehehe
gedwards633

Post by gedwards633 »

Although I would hate to see valuable money wasted on Lawyers, I would like to hear in a court of law why these players can justify the claim. Obviously, they had a contract with Tigers, so legally they do have a case. But morally, I would like to know why they think they are so special. All other players and staff cut the cut. Tigers have had to make cuts including making over 30 members of staff redundant. This case is a slap in the face of all those staff who were made redundant. Some of these staff would have been on minimum wage and could have been their only income. I think I saw somewhere that the players were asked to take a 25% pay cut for one year with a potential to recoup 10%. Obviously, a lot of money when you are on a high wage but they would have hardly been destitute.
The club missing out on £5 million pounds worth of income is going to have consequences. These are not normal circumstances. It looks like the majority of the Premiership clubs also had to reduce players wages by a similar amount, so even amongst their peers they still consider themselves special. In a wider context this pandemic will affect a large number of businesses and I am sure many will have to look at the numbers of staff and/or wages to be able to carry on. When airline pilots are taking jobs as delivery drivers to keep the wolves from the door, having a job at all is a bonus to some. This pandemic will result in some Tigers supporters loosing their income completely so a less paid job (doing what you love) would be an option not available to all.
So it would be interesting to see why they think they are above that.
It is also a shame for these players to tarnish their career with the Tigers. Although, selfish people generally don't care of the opinion of others. Can they not see what is happening in the world at the moment.
A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

gedwards633 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:44 pm Although I would hate to see valuable money wasted on Lawyers, I would like to hear in a court of law why these players can justify the claim. Obviously, they had a contract with Tigers, so legally they do have a case. But morally, I would like to know why they think they are so special. All other players and staff cut the cut. Tigers have had to make cuts including making over 30 members of staff redundant. This case is a slap in the face of all those staff who were made redundant. Some of these staff would have been on minimum wage and could have been their only income. I think I saw somewhere that the players were asked to take a 25% pay cut for one year with a potential to recoup 10%. Obviously, a lot of money when you are on a high wage but they would have hardly been destitute.
The club missing out on £5 million pounds worth of income is going to have consequences. These are not normal circumstances. It looks like the majority of the Premiership clubs also had to reduce players wages by a similar amount, so even amongst their peers they still consider themselves special. In a wider context this pandemic will affect a large number of businesses and I am sure many will have to look at the numbers of staff and/or wages to be able to carry on. When airline pilots are taking jobs as delivery drivers to keep the wolves from the door, having a job at all is a bonus to some. This pandemic will result in some Tigers supporters loosing their income completely so a less paid job (doing what you love) would be an option not available to all.
So it would be interesting to see why they think they are above that.
It is also a shame for these players to tarnish their career with the Tigers. Although, selfish people generally don't care of the opinion of others. Can they not see what is happening in the world at the moment.
Some people only see the world in terms of what they are "entitled" to. I would have more sympathy for them if they worked for a business that was profitable, but when they work(ed) for a company that has been losing money for years, largely due to overpaying players such as themselves...

Maybe if the players win they are planning to donate that money to the other former Tigers employees who were made redundant. :smt023
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I am particularly disappointed in TV, Manu and Bateman as these 3 were very well looked after by Tigers when some clubs wouldn’t have given new contracts 2-3 years ago!
Tigers will be consulting their legal experts and no doubt other clubs will be watching nervously because IF fans aren’t back until April there are several clubs, including a Tigers, which will need to make more cuts!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The apparent implications from the continued delay in our club not issuing forth a stance does seem to suggest that the initial termination decision was not made with legal assurance.I have to be honest and say I find this surprising although I did and still do back The Club's position in this matter.
There is a reality more than visible to the majority in the real world that others simply can't or refuse to see.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:55 am The apparent implications from the continued delay in our club not issuing forth a stance does seem to suggest that the initial termination decision was not made with legal assurance.I have to be honest and say I find this surprising although I did and still do back The Club's position in this matter.
There is a reality more than visible to the majority in the real world that others simply can't or refuse to see.
Or maybe the club are correctly not discussing ongoing legal proceedings or being as leaky as a sieve?

Still if the ex players win & Tigers go bust that will make them popular with the multiple unemployed.

There are 3 sides to every story...

An all round sorry tale.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

This is not the sort of situation in which you, as the former employer, issue public updates. Not if you have any common sense or legal advice. The club's silence implies nothing at all.

The media silence implies there is nothing interesting to report and that the parties who previously leaked details have either already got the pay out they wanted, or they have concluded that they have no chance of getting it and have given up.

There is a huge delay for employment tribunals at the moment, so you could be waiting a long time for a resolution. Very likely that Tigers would be incredibly keen to avoid a tribunal even if 100% certain they would win. If it doesn't get that far then it means the two sides have reached a settlement, which will have confidentiality clauses. If I were Tigers, there would be a very strong confidentiality clause written by very expensive lawyers preventing any of the players from discussing the matter with anyone ever again, particularly the media!

Most likely current situation? A settlement has already been agreed and none of us will ever hear about it.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

According to (admittedly unsubstantiated) reports Leicester have twice recently asked for extensions to decide how to proceed - interpret that as/how you wish.... no one expects live commentary but equally no one wants or needs the situation to drag on interminably either, and nothing is gained by prevarication when ultimately the actual circumstances seemingly remain unaltered.Presumably, we (The Club) knew the potential consequences of our actions and were/are prepared for the potential eventualities.

Further , The Rugby Paper (18 Oct) now intimates that Leicester are prepared to contest the claim of unfair dismissal in court and that the players involved have now been informed of this decision.Should this be the case then , in my own opinion, it is the correct thing to do.There is a reality now that has to be recognised and whilst I hope common sense prevails (for/on both sides) those who only see and only appreciate self interest really need to be shown the bigger picture.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would suggest taking the players to court is perhaps not a great idea. There is precedent with the case of William Hall v London Lions (basketball team). They asked him to take a 10% pay cut, he said no, they sacked him. He won.

What you read in the news is mostly what the people involved want you to read. When the threat of legal action came out it might have been because the players wanted to put pressure on the club to make a settlement. When news comes out that the club are willing to go to court it might be because they want to pressure the players to accept an offer that has been made.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

For The Club , I believe that compromise is acceptable when necessary ; backing down (in this instance) is not.

The Club is (or appears prepared to) contest the legal action of the 5 ex players. Would be surprised however, if 'we' ever saw a Court in this particular case.
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

A recent article in the Financial Times says the wait for an Employment Tribunal date is up to 2 years, due to a backlog following COVID. Perhaps the celebrity status might speed it up, but I doubt it.

If successful the players will only be awarded compensation, not damages and they cannot claim their legal costs. Tigers can also come to a settlement the week before the tribunal if they feel they might lose and save on legal fees.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I don't know enough about this, but I assume that there will be a lot of cases where employers have forced paycuts on people in the courts now? So will it be clear to both sides who is likely to win and a settlement will be reached soonish?