European finals 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: European finals 2020

Post by jgriffin »

Despite the rest of my siblings being either STHs or Exe supporters, I'm indifferent as I think they get free passes from refs too often.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:37 pm Despite the rest of my siblings being either STHs or Exe supporters, I'm indifferent as I think they get free passes from refs too often.
The constant blocking and sealing off amongst other things makes NZ and Leinster look like saints!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Just going back to the Bristol game, I was very impressed with the ref. Very controlled, good communication and actually called passes forward!!!!!!
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Anyone else uneasy about the role of broadcast commentary over third official decision making.

At the moment this looks like another final decided by Austin and/ or Ben Kay without them being the player to touch the ball down.
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Brilliant game of rugby, well done to Chiefs.

Bit of a shame that it ended with the TMO and Ref having a ridiculous conversation about whether time was up.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm Brilliant game of rugby, well done to Chiefs.

Bit of a shame that it ended with the TMO and Ref having a ridiculous conversation about whether time was up.
Agreed it was a bit ridiculous.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

How is Joe Simmonds man of the match? For kicking all of his kicks? Just don’t get the hype with this guy I’m glad Eddie Jones is inclined to agree.

This whole journey thing driving me nuts too, get rid of the racist branding and cheating tactics then I might feel elements of sympathy for their amazing “rise”.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Really cruel that Zebo didn’t get the MVP, I don’t care that Exeter won, tell that to Simon Shaw in 2009.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The refereeing was poor with mixed messages to players all match but that penalty awarded against Racing on Exeter's line late on with the Exeter player clearly in at the side was a shocker in my opinion.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

JP14, you are coming across as very bitter and jealous.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:48 pm How is Joe Simmonds man of the match? For kicking all of his kicks? Just don’t get the hype with this guy I’m glad Eddie Jones is inclined to agree.

This whole journey thing driving me nuts too, get rid of the racist branding and cheating tactics then I might feel elements of sympathy for their amazing “rise”.
Agreed, when it comes to European finals it highlights that Exeter’s half backs are nowhere near being international class.

Thought Hill looked good though, always makes yards with the ball in hand. Feel for S Simmonds, think he could make a very good no.7, just lacks some power to be an 8.

Thought Nigel was poor. Twice he decided to change his mind, first calling advantage over then Exeter hoofed the ball out and changed his mind. Then at the Exeter for penalty, he called hands away then blew up for keeping hold of the ball.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

BFG wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:51 pm The refereeing was poor with mixed messages to players all match but that penalty awarded against Racing on Exeter's line late on with the Exeter player clearly in at the side was a shocker in my opinion.
On such decisions are matches won or lost.
A couple of silly mistakes cost Racing dearly. I'm not begrudging Exeter's victory and their extremely well-drilled pack is nothing but a bludgeon and wins them matches.

I dearly hope Wasps can turn them over next week with their more adventurous approach to the game.
Semper in excretia
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I enjoyed the game and the way it ebbed and flowed. I have never been a fan of Nigel Owens but I didn't think he was too bad today.
Rassing were very strong and their squad cost an awful lot of money.

Considering where they have come from, it would be churlish in the extreme to rubbish Exeter's achievements.

From their first game at WR on promotion they have never failed to impress.

As for Rob Baxter? What a great bloke. He is the outstanding candidate to take over from Eddie Jones.
A life long Tiger
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Smudge wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:29 pm I enjoyed the game and the way it ebbed and flowed. I have never been a fan of Nigel Owens but I didn't think he was too bad today.
Rassing were very strong and their squad cost an awful lot of money.

Considering where they have come from, it would be churlish in the extreme to rubbish Exeter's achievements.

From their first game at WR on promotion they have never failed to impress.

As for Rob Baxter? What a great bloke. He is the outstanding candidate to take over from Eddie Jones.
I don't think it's churlish at all.
It's fair to question their ruck tactics.
Ok they latch on to the ball carrier and to drive over the try line it's fine, but elsewhere around the park for players latched on to go off their feet to seal off the ruck as they do is genuinely questionable.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Oh just be glad for them. A real English club not an Irish province pretending to be a club, not a bunch of SC cheats,
not a rich man's play thing. For heaven's sake, be a sport and wish them well..
A life long Tiger