Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

susieblue

Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year

Post by susieblue »

I realise that these two awards are normally voted for by us, the fans - but this year there doesn't seem to have been the opportunity to do that - I can understand why :smt012

Every year 6 of us have a 'predictions' evening in early September where we write down our answers to 21 questions on the upcoming season, seal them and then have a results evening in June (prizes naturally).

Our results evening is next Sunday when all competitions have been finalised - but I have 2 gaps where the POTY and YPOTY should be.

What would your answers be??? :smt017 (remember that we 'guessed' last September when the likes of Veainu, May, Tuilagi etc. were with us)
Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year

Post by Tiglon »

Player of the season - Tomy Youngs or Wells. Most of our other players have either only just joined or have been with England for most of the season, and both have shown a lot of proper Tiger attributes throughout a poor season.

Young player of the season - Jordan Olowofela. Only joking... Ben White perhaps, Reffell in with a shout.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Harry Wells is a good shout, definite unsung hero, Tommy Reffell as young player of the season, Tom Youngs for outstanding service if he has not previously awarded it.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Hmm if I had done this in September 2020 reckon I would have gone for Noel Reid (I had high hopes in a World Cup year he would turn into what we’re starting to see from Henry) and Tommy Reffell.

In hindsight like others would go for Harry wells and Reffell.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would go for Liebenberg and Reffell
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would go with Wells and Reffell too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Wells and Steward for me.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I'm a great fan of Harry Wells .For me ,Player of the Season , almost by default - certainly no disrespect intended in that statement.Whatever his position he gives it everything - old school , wholehearted and fiercely committed ; another that you would rather have by your side than not and the type of character that every club wants and needs.Injuries , departures and the inconsistency of others should virtually hand him this award on a plate.He is however richly deserving of the accolade , I believe.
For Young Player of the Season I'd go with Freddie Steward for sheer impact , potential and performance - arguably already Leicesters first choice Full Back. Honorable mention for Tommy Reffell - his time will come and both players could be something special.

A peculiar season in many ways but still two outstanding and loyal candidates, for me at any rate.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Wells for me. Would have been more clear cut if they stuck to playing him in the second row.
Taufua when he wan't injured & Johnny May before he left behind Wells.
Don't get the Tom Youngs bit. He's been better in the loose but the scrum is weakened by his presence.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

For me any player nominated needs to have played more than a handful of matches for Tigers during the season.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm in the Wells and Steward camp too, stand out players.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Think Wells has played well since the restart, but also did seem to give away plenty of penalties. Also looked better at lock than blindside.

Best player for me has been Liebenberg, always getting us over the gainline and making yards ball in hand. Can’t wait to see him paired with either Brink or Wiese.

Steward for young player of the season, really has made the 15 shirt his own.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Wells & Steward' simples :smt041
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Noggs wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:31 pm Wells & Steward' simples :smt041
Liebenberg and Reffell for me. As much as an impact as Steward has made, I don’t think you can award it after a handful of games.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I think Steward is a huge talent but over the season young player has to be Reffell. Player of the season probably Ford but Liebenberg is close as is Taufua