England Training Squad announced

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: England Training Squad announced

Post by Tiglon »

Sheedy is in great form, but he's about to turn 25, he isn't a young up and coming player - he's probably at his peak and going through a purple patch in a team playing exciting rugby.

Well done to him for getting to where he is, but he isn't going to set the world stage alight.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Since when is 25 at a peak for a fly half? or in any rugby position.
By the time the next world cup comes around he will be the same age as Farrell is now....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:17 pm Sheedy is in great form, but he's about to turn 25, he isn't a young up and coming player - he's probably at his peak and going through a purple patch in a team playing exciting rugby.

Well done to him for getting to where he is, but he isn't going to set the world stage alight.
I suppose that's more credible than playing in a team breaking the salary cap rules!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:25 pm Since when is 25 at a peak for a fly half? or in any rugby position.
By the time the next world cup comes around he will be the same age as Farrell is now....
Who said 25 is peak for a fly half?

A comparison of Sheedy's career this far and Farrell's up to age 25 might suggest they are on slightly different trajectories, no?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

"he's probably at his peak"
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:52 pm "he's probably at his peak"
Do you honestly not see the difference between saying Sheedy is probably at his peak and saying 25 is at a peak for a fly half? Really?

Unless he does something spectacular in the next few years, I would say that Manu probably reached his peak at about 22/23. Does that mean I think all 13's peak at 22/23? Obviously not.

There's a difference between talking about one specific player and making generalisations about all players in a certain position.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:17 pm Sheedy is in great form, but he's about to turn 25, he isn't a young up and coming player - he's probably at his peak and going through a purple patch in a team playing exciting rugby.

No he's not an up and coming player but he is the flyhalf guiding Bristol into the playoffs. He kicks well, has got attacking vision and is consistent. The next RWC is in three years so he'll be what 28 and the one after that he'll be 32. Hardly running out of time.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:21 pm

No he's not an up and coming player but he is the flyhalf guiding Bristol into the playoffs. He kicks well, has got attacking vision and is consistent. The next RWC is in three years so he'll be what 28 and the one after that he'll be 32. Hardly running out of time.
Not running out of time at all. Just my opinion that this is as good as he's going to get and he won't maintain this form. I might be right, I might be wrong - time will tell.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Joe Simmons has to be on Eddie's radar, he is, in my opinion much better than Umaga, I think ne hope we will see him feature in the 8 nations assuming he doesn't get injured in the semi or final of the play offs
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:32 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:21 pm

Not running out of time at all. Just my opinion that this is as good as he's going to get and he won't maintain this form. I might be right, I might be wrong - time will tell.
Too late for Sheedy for England he has been named in the Welsh squad
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Surprising that Reffell is nowhere to be seen in the Welsh nor the English squad.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:28 pm Surprising that Reffell is nowhere to be seen in the Welsh nor the English squad.
Playing a dozen good games for Tigers doesn't get the international recognition it used to. To be honest I wouldn't pick him in an England squad yet either - there are too many others who are at least a level above him at the moment. If he can keep playing as well as he is though, keep improving and Tigers can perform better next season then I wouldn't be surprised to see him earn a cap for Wales next season.

He needs to cement his place in the Tigers first XV against stiff competition from Wallace before he can worry about international honours.
Wes

Post by Wes »

In regard to Sheedy, I also strongly suspect that if he had any international aspirations for England (assuming that Wales isn't his first choice and I have no idea about that at all), that he'd talk to Eddie first and see if there was a chance, just as Joel Tomkins did. Once he's told there's no chance in the next x years or that he's 17th inline, why not go to another country for honours
I only live there to wind up the population!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Piers Francis has withdrawn from the training squad after a positive Covid test following playing against Sale Tuesday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54443267
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Simmons gets an arm chair ride behind a dominant pack week in week out. Imagine the carnage Ford could cause playing for Chiefs. Smith for me is the far better talent and has proved it behind a mostly retreating pack,that’s the mark of a top FH for me. I’ve saw Simmons on the very rare couple of occasions where Chiefs pack were under the cosh,Munster was one of them and he wasn’t all that imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer