Post by wellstiger »

I love the "Magical Mystery Tour"
Its going to take me away.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Pat Howard

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am The fact is that our disastrously executed kicking game plan is now 2 seasons in the making and it began when Murphy was appointed Head Coach and despite the appointment of Borthwick it has continued. That is the truth despite all the spin from the club deployed to counter it.
Actually there's a significant difference to the kicking game pre and post lockdown. We previously kicked long looking to get the ball onto the floor to give us time to set the defensive line and move up the field. A 2007 era tactic really. Since Borthwick has arrived we now predominantly kick to compete (when we execute correctly) which is the tactic commonly seen by Sarries and England (Exeter as well when they do kick). As we have Nadolo on the wing he tends to be the target and that makes sense.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

In the ideal world Paddy would be in charge, but for family reasons amongst others he isn't.
If the current set up is what Paddy recommended I will go with it as he got most things right for us both on & off the field.
The kicking drives me insane, but providing it's part of the journey, not the destination I will suffer a bit longer, the trouble is it's often badly executed.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

wellstiger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 am I love the "Magical Mystery Tour"
Its going to take me away.
As long as we don't have a fool on the hill.
I'm not cynical just experienced
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 am In the ideal world Paddy would be in charge, but for family reasons amongst others he isn't.
If the current set up is what Paddy recommended I will go with it as he got most things right for us both on & off the field.
The kicking drives me insane, but providing it's part of the journey, not the destination I will suffer a bit longer, the trouble is it's often badly executed.
Agreed, Paddy would have been an ideal appointment. But that ship has sailed.
The poor execution - no excuse as far as I am concerned. If we had an inexperienced pairing at 9 + 10 there could be some allowance, but not with the pair we have. In Sundays game one example, late on ruck formed in our 22, Carley says 'Inside' (twice I think?) Youngs looks at Carley and asks, Carley says again 'yes, inside'. Youngs proceeds to hoof the ball down the park with it staying 5 or 6 metres in field straight to Quins player! A couple of minutes later from well outside 22 he boots it straight into touch. Inexcusable.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

fentiger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:55 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 am In the ideal world Paddy would be in charge, but for family reasons amongst others he isn't.
Agreed, Paddy would have been an ideal appointment. But that ship has sailed.
The poor execution - no excuse as far as I am concerned. If we had an inexperienced pairing at 9 + 10 there could be some allowance, but not with the pair we have. In Sundays game one example, late on ruck formed in our 22, Carley says 'Inside' (twice I think?) Youngs looks at Carley and asks, Carley says again 'yes, inside'. Youngs proceeds to hoof the ball down the park with it staying 5 or 6 metres in field straight to Quins player! A couple of minutes later from well outside 22 he boots it straight into touch. Inexcusable.
That ship sailed 13 years ago. Howard has shown no interest in coming back to Leicester!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am The fact is that our disastrously executed kicking game plan is now 2 seasons in the making and it began when Murphy was appointed Head Coach and despite the appointment of Borthwick it has continued. That is the truth despite all the spin from the club deployed to counter it.
Actually there's a significant difference to the kicking game pre and post lockdown. We previously kicked long looking to get the ball onto the floor to give us time to set the defensive line and move up the field. A 2007 era tactic really. Since Borthwick has arrived we now predominantly kick to compete (when we execute correctly) which is the tactic commonly seen by Sarries and England (Exeter as well when they do kick). As we have Nadolo on the wing he tends to be the target and that makes sense.
Thanks for your insight, for me the question remains do we have the players capable of correctly executing an effective kicking game?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

I’m just glad that I’m not on the bus with the significant of posters who have decided after little more than 3 months that despite having a new bus, with a new driver, on a different route and a change in stops it is on the road to nowhere!!!
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In an ideal world, Paddy should never have left in the first place. No bad blood at all he left for family which is perfectly reasonable and if he had stayed he still wouldn't have been here now but nonetheless one of the great what ifs...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:39 am I’m just glad that I’m not on the bus with the significant of posters who have decided after little more than 3 months that despite having a new bus, with a new driver, on a different route and a change in stops it is on the road to nowhere!!!
We're on the road to nowhere :smt030
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:22 am
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am
Thanks for your insight, for me the question remains do we have the players capable of correctly executing an effective kicking game?
As our halfbacks have well over 150 caps between them the coaches have a right to expect we should.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:39 am I’m just glad that I’m not on the bus with the significant of posters who have decided after little more than 3 months that despite having a new bus, with a new driver, on a different route and a change in stops it is on the road to nowhere!!!
It may be a new bus with a new driver, but it's still the 101 to Eleventh Place, with regular stops at Defeat.

Hopefully there will be a few diversions to Victory next season, and perhaps an amended termination at Anywhere Less Embarrassing.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

There are a lot of glass half empty posters on this forum :smt016
A2O
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:37 pm There are a lot of glass half empty posters on this forum :smt016
Well to be fair, (and I say this as a definite half full merchant) if it was a court case, the prosecuting barrister would address the jury along the lines of:

'Members of the jury Tigers have finished 11th in the premiership for the last two seasons. In the last two seasons they have won 13-44 games. In 2018-2019 they accumulated 41 points' and had a the worst defensive record on the league conceding 632. Even worse than the team relegated. This season they finished 5 points behind the newly promoted team, 40 points behind the promoted team from 2018-2019 and accumulated a mere 29 points. Eleven fewer than the previous season. They had the worst attacking record in the premiership this year and the 2nd worst defensive record conceding 609. I put it to you the team is getting worse not better.

Now the defence ................

I hasten to add. I'm an optimist and positive about the future - but the half empty merchants do have a point.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:37 pm There are a lot of glass half empty posters on this forum :smt016
:smt005 here we go again!

It is possible to be a positive person but also recognise that Tigers' recent results haven't been very good because, well, they do lose a lot of games!

I mean, being the worst team in the league probably deserves at least a little criticism, doesn't it??