Predictions 20-21

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Predictions 20-21

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

chipnchase wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm I also think the squad will begin to be trimmed further in response to financial impact of covid and historic contracts so the likes of Ashland-Robinson, Sam Lewis, Jordan Olowofela, Johnny McPhillips, Guy Porters, Jaco Taute and George Worth move on.
Guy Porter only joined the club during the lockdown, what's more I think he's been a real positive since arriving, defence needs a bit of work, but prior to Van Wyk moving Murimurivalu to centre, he had nudged ahead of Taute as first choice at 13.

Hardwick much more likely to be one of those shifted on.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

chipnchase wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm Team:

1: Ellis Genge
2: Shalva Mamukshvili
3: Nephi Leatigaga
4: Blake Enever
5: Harry Wells
6: Luke Wallace
7: Tommy Reffell (Captain)
8: Cyle Brink

9: Ben White
10: Zack Henry

11: Nemani Nadolo
12: Matt Scott (Vice Captain)
13: Kini Murimurivalu
14: Kobus Van Wyk
15: Freddie Steward

16: Joe Heyes
17: Dan Cole
18: Tom Youngs
19: George Martin
20: Jordan Taufua
21: Ben Youngs
22: George Ford
23: Harry Potter

Breakthrough Player - With Ford away for much of the season Henry to step up and grown with game time / confidence. Possible call up into an England training squad and summer tour.

Predictions -

Wins (12) - Gloucester (H), London Irish (A), Newcastle (A), Worcester (H), Harlequins (A), Wasps (H), London Irish (H), Gloucester (A), Newcastle (H), Saints (H), Harlequins (H), Worcester (A)
Loses (10) - Exeter (H), Bath (H), Saints (A), Sale (H), Bristol (A), Exeter (A), Bath (A), Sale (A), Bristol (A), Wasps (A)

Most likely 6th - 8th place, the best of the rest if you like. Progression would be to comfortably beat the likes of Falcons, Irish, Warriors, Gloucester and Quins whilst taking a couple of wins against the likes of Wasps.

Not really bothered about Europe in all honesty. Would rather see us build something sustainable in the Premiership as a priority. Solid core of 30 players to select from .

I made the point before we restarted that this would be the only time we could truly give everyone a run of games to prove their worth with no threat of relegation. Next season will be very very different. Likely to be missing Ford and B. Youngs for much of it which I don't think we'll be a bad thing in the long run. Back to a 'normal' program where Borthwick will be picking his strongest squad every week so rotation is likely to disappear, I also think the squad will begin to be trimmed further in response to financial impact of covid and historic contracts so the likes of Ashland-Robinson, Sam Lewis, Jordan Olowofela, Johnny McPhillips, Guy Porters, Jaco Taute and George Worth move on.
Would defo have Taufua and Lavinini starting and as for departures would keep Lewis and Porter, the rest I agree with
A2O
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I was under the impression that all the players had been contracted with extensions to cover off the financial implications of Covid.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:55 pm
chipnchase wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm Team:

1: Ellis Genge
2: Shalva Mamukshvili
3: Nephi Leatigaga
4: Blake Enever
5: Harry Wells
6: Luke Wallace
7: Tommy Reffell (Captain)
8: Cyle Brink

9: Ben White
10: Zack Henry

11: Nemani Nadolo
12: Matt Scott (Vice Captain)
13: Kini Murimurivalu
14: Kobus Van Wyk
15: Freddie Steward

16: Joe Heyes
17: Dan Cole
18: Tom Youngs
19: George Martin
20: Jordan Taufua
21: Ben Youngs
22: George Ford
23: Harry Potter

Breakthrough Player - With Ford away for much of the season Henry to step up and grown with game time / confidence. Possible call up into an England training squad and summer tour.

Predictions -

Wins (12) - Gloucester (H), London Irish (A), Newcastle (A), Worcester (H), Harlequins (A), Wasps (H), London Irish (H), Gloucester (A), Newcastle (H), Saints (H), Harlequins (H), Worcester (A)
Loses (10) - Exeter (H), Bath (H), Saints (A), Sale (H), Bristol (A), Exeter (A), Bath (A), Sale (A), Bristol (A), Wasps (A)

Most likely 6th - 8th place, the best of the rest if you like. Progression would be to comfortably beat the likes of Falcons, Irish, Warriors, Gloucester and Quins whilst taking a couple of wins against the likes of Wasps.

Not really bothered about Europe in all honesty. Would rather see us build something sustainable in the Premiership as a priority. Solid core of 30 players to select from .

I made the point before we restarted that this would be the only time we could truly give everyone a run of games to prove their worth with no threat of relegation. Next season will be very very different. Likely to be missing Ford and B. Youngs for much of it which I don't think we'll be a bad thing in the long run. Back to a 'normal' program where Borthwick will be picking his strongest squad every week so rotation is likely to disappear, I also think the squad will begin to be trimmed further in response to financial impact of covid and historic contracts so the likes of Ashland-Robinson, Sam Lewis, Jordan Olowofela, Johnny McPhillips, Guy Porters, Jaco Taute and George Worth move on.
Would defo have Taufua and Lavinini starting and as for departures would keep Lewis and Porter, the rest I agree with
I would also keep Aspland- Robinson as he hasn’t had a chance to prove himself because of injury so I think he deserves a go and is a good cover player for wing and centre. I also think Taute has look like a good defensive player for depth in centres. Because there is no chance we will keep a fit first choice 23 all season so we need these depth players.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Richardfje wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:52 pm I would also keep Aspland- Robinson as he hasn’t had a chance to prove himself because of injury so I think he deserves a go and is a good cover player for wing and centre.
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ex ... and-200706
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:51 pm
chipnchase wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm I also think the squad will begin to be trimmed further in response to financial impact of covid and historic contracts so the likes of Ashland-Robinson, Sam Lewis, Jordan Olowofela, Johnny McPhillips, Guy Porters, Jaco Taute and George Worth move on.
Guy Porter only joined the club during the lockdown, what's more I think he's been a real positive since arriving, defence needs a bit of work, but prior to Van Wyk moving Murimurivalu to centre, he had nudged ahead of Taute as first choice at 13.

Love the way you say likely to be shifted on - how do you know those players mentioned might not want to leave themselves rather than being moved on by the club. The lack of game time for some would be good enough reason to go if they are out of contract at the end of next June.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Similar to RB for me but with a few tweaks:

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Martin
6. Liebenberg
7. Taufua
8. Wiese
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. Van Wyk/Murimurivalu
15. Steward

16. Mamu
17. Leatigaga
18. Heyes
19. Enever
20. Reffell
21. White
22. Henry
23. Murimurivalu/Van Wyk
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:11 pm
Richardfje wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:52 pm I would also keep Aspland- Robinson as he hasn’t had a chance to prove himself because of injury so I think he deserves a go and is a good cover player for wing and centre.
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ex ... and-200706

Only mentioned as someone above said that they would move him on due to financial issues with Covid amongst other players
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I'd like it to be..1. Genge 2. Montoya 3. Cole 4. Martin 5. Lavanini 6. Taufua 7. Refell 8 Brink 9. Jvp, 10 ford, 11. Nadolo 12 Scott 13, Moroni 14 Van wyk 15 steward 16 youngs 17 Gigena 18 Heyes 19 Green 20 Liebenberg 21 Youngs 22 Henry 23 Muri

I think Steward is already a star so I'd go for Martin

Success is to win at least all home games and get 5 bonus points
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Downsouth wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:01 pm I'd like it to be..1. Genge 2. Montoya 3. Cole 4. Martin 5. Lavanini 6. Taufua 7. Refell 8 Brink 9. Jvp, 10 ford, 11. Nadolo 12 Scott 13, Moroni 14 Van wyk 15 steward 16 youngs 17 Gigena 18 Heyes 19 Green 20 Liebenberg 21 Youngs 22 Henry 23 Muri

I think Steward is already a star so I'd go for Martin

Success is to win at least all home games and get 5 bonus points
So no Leatigaga who has been our best prop since lockdown
A2O
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I live in hope but I believe that Big Dai's present bottle of Remy will still reside behind the settee and not be replaced this coming season.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:03 am (a)
Steward
Van Wyk
Murimurivalu
Scott
Nadolo
Ford
Youngs
Genge
Youngs
Cole
Lavannini
Wells
Taufua
Brink
Liebenberg

Clare
Gienga
Leatigaga
Martin
Reffell
White
Henry
Potter

(b) Brink

(c)
No progress - lose all but 1 (either LI or New)
Reasonable - win 3 (3 of Glaws/Saints plus above)
Excellent - win 5+
(0 is backwards from where we are, 2 is very slight progress, 4 good progress)
Steward, Potter, Nadolo, Scott, Muri, Ford, Youngs
Genge, Youngs, Cole, Wells, Lavanini, Taufua, Wallace or Reffell, Liebenberg
Mamu, Gigena, Leatigaga, Green, Brink, White, Henry, Porter or Williams or Van Wyk

Definitely need balance across the back row, 6,7&8 not two 7s and an 8 or two 6s and an 8.
Breakthrough player could be any from a number, depending upon injuries and game time: Steward, Potter, Henry, Porter, Williams, one of the 2nd rows.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:53 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:51 pm

Love the way you say likely to be shifted on - how do you know those players mentioned might not want to leave themselves rather than being moved on by the club. The lack of game time for some would be good enough reason to go if they are out of contract at the end of next June.
Goes without saying that it’s a two way arrangement. My point being is that some of the less decorated players will struggle from now on in to play their way back into the match day squad and with little or no rugby being played in the championship / national league they become very expensive bag holders.

I understand we adjusted to meet the losses caused by COVID however that was in May / June when we thought we’d have people back I. Stadiums by the autumn. Clearly that hasn’t happened and Any government bail out will come with some form of further belt tightening.

In the current environment it is more than possible for clubs to have 30-35 fully contracted players and 10-15 development players on part time contracts.

I also believe we need to ring fence the 13 prem clubs for 4/5 years with the caveat that they need to all be profitable by year 4 in order to maintain their status. It would be a short period of time in the grand scheme of things to get our house in order, invest in the correct areas within clubs (not straight into overseas players pockets), develope club infrastructure further and clear debts created by the pandemic. The only club other than Saracens in the Championship with a sizable war chest is Ealing but again if their owner decides once they get to the Prem that his job is done then we’ve got another unprofitable club in a crowded geographic market that has no fan base to speak of or commercial appeal. Any way I digress.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:54 pm I was under the impression that all the players had been contracted with extensions to cover off the financial implications of Covid.
A number were only given 12 month contracts.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I’m a Tigers Fan so we are going to win the title next season obviously. And if we don’t it’s going to be the fault of the Ref, TMO, Steve Diamond, unnecessary kicking (except when it’s necessary), Matt O’Connor, and whoever got rid of Harry Thacker. :smt003

Oh you lot of little faith.........