Predictions 20-21

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Predictions 20-21

Post by Traveller »

Now we've had an eight game pre-season and seen the whole squad (except for Brink, Moroni etc) and supporter opinions have ranged from 'we're doomed' to 'I've been to the top of the mountain.....' and everything in between. I'd be interested to know:

a) What your first choice team would look like to play the final match of 2020 against Sale - assuming full fitness.

b) Which Tiger's player is really going to 'arrive' this season.

c) What will represent no / reasonable / excellent progress for Tigers through to the end of 20202 in terms of wins / losses / overall points) given that those premiership games are as follows: Gloucester (h, Irish (a), Exeter (h), Newcastle (a) Bath (h), Saints (a), Sale (h)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Predictions 20-21

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

(a)
Steward
Van Wyk
Murimurivalu
Scott
Nadolo
Ford
Youngs
Genge
Youngs
Cole
Lavannini
Wells
Taufua
Brink
Liebenberg

Clare
Gienga
Leatigaga
Martin
Reffell
White
Henry
Potter

(b) Brink

(c)
No progress - lose all but 1 (either LI or New)
Reasonable - win 3 (3 of Glaws/Saints plus above)
Excellent - win 5+
(0 is backwards from where we are, 2 is very slight progress, 4 good progress)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So
A. For the final match which will be the final v Exeter ;)

1. Genge, 2. Youngs, 3. Cole
4. Lavanini, 5. Martin
6. Liebenberg, 7. Reffell, 8. Wiese
9. Youngs, 10. Ford
12. Scott, 13. Moroni
11. Nadolo, 14. Van Wyk, 15. Steward

16. Manu, 17. Leatigaga, 18. Heyes
19. Henderson, 20. Taufua
21. White. 22. Henry, 23. Murimurivalu

B. Brink, but he will get a injury in a try saving tackle on Obano in the semi final v Bath

C. Well we win the league and challenge cup.

Source: I found the 2020/21 Rugby almanac in my garden last night.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:15 am So
A. For the final match which will be the final v Exeter ;)

1. Genge, 2. Youngs, 3. Cole
4. Lavanini, 5. Martin
6. Liebenberg, 7. Reffell, 8. Wiese
9. Youngs, 10. Ford
12. Scott, 13. Moroni
11. Nadolo, 14. Van Wyk, 15. Steward

16. Manu, 17. Leatigaga, 18. Heyes
19. Henderson, 20. Taufua
21. White. 22. Henry, 23. Murimurivalu

B. Brink, but he will get a injury in a try saving tackle on Obano in the semi final v Bath

C. Well we win the league and challenge cup.

Source: I found the 2020/21 Rugby almanac in my garden last night.
Presumably being read by a fairy?
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nah some guy in a orangey/red Gilet.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I could see Leatigaga overtaking Cole potentially.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Progress is relative and the bar has been set pretty low, so 2 wins out of 7 would be progress, technically. On the other hand, 2 wins from 4 home games and 3 away games against the likely 2 worst teams next season and a team in awful form would still be very poor.

With the squad we have we should be expecting a minimum of 3 wins from those matches and LBP or close in the other 3 - I'd be just about happy with that as a starting point for the "rebuild". 4/5 wins would represent encouraging progress if achieved.

We've been handed a very kind opening fixture list and have the opportunity to use it as a springboard. The players are good enough, SB needs to prove how good he is now by making them look like at least the sum of their parts.

I know things take time, but look at the quick improvement achieved by Saints, Glouc, England, Bath and many others in recent years after changing coaches. Yes, you can distinguish between each of those and Tigers position, no two situations are ever exactly the same. Yes, some of those failed to sustain the improvement - but does that not suggest that initial improvement is the easy part? If we can't even manage that then what hope do we have long term?

I go into next season still optimistic, although less so than 2 months ago.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Traveller wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:45 am Now we've had an eight game pre-season and seen the whole squad (except for Brink, Moroni etc) and supporter opinions have ranged from 'we're doomed' to 'I've been to the top of the mountain.....' and everything in between. I'd be interested to know:

a) What your first choice team would look like to play the final match of 2020 against Sale - assuming full fitness.

c) What will represent no / reasonable / excellent progress for Tigers through to the end of 20202 in terms of wins / losses / overall points) given that those premiership games are as follows: Gloucester (h, Irish (a), Exeter (h), Newcastle (a) Bath (h), Saints (a), Sale (h)
No predictions please.
Patience and humility. :smt043
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:42 am I could see Leatigaga overtaking Cole potentially.
Heyes already has, he's in the England training squad.......................................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

BFG wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:01 pm
Traveller wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:45 am Now we've had an eight game pre-season and seen the whole squad (except for Brink, Moroni etc) and supporter opinions have ranged from 'we're doomed' to 'I've been to the top of the mountain.....' and everything in between. I'd be interested to know:

No predictions please.
Just trying to work out what patience means (in my own head). I remain your humble.................. and upbeat servant.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

I'm not into picking teams so won't bother :smt003

In terms of a Tigers "bolter" - maybe Steward :smt023

I think finishing in Euro Cup qualification should be the target for next season (is that above 8th?). Season after Top 6 or Top 4 at a stretch, with a view to semi final or even final the season after.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Traveller wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:45 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:01 pm

No predictions please.
Just trying to work out what patience means (in my own head). I remain your humble.................. and upbeat servant.
Patience is an Owen Farrell missed tackle!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Coops wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:03 pm I'm not into picking teams so won't bother :smt003

I think finishing in Euro Cup qualification should be the target for next season (is that above 8th?). Season after Top 6 or Top 4 at a stretch, with a view to semi final or even final the season after.
Steward to make the Lions.

On all the other stuff,

Heyes: nice to see him in the training squad but he won’t make the step up yet. Eddie’s just having a look.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Coops wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:03 pm I'm not into picking teams so won't bother :smt003

Well Europe is top 6 so next seasons goal is top 6 and season after should be top 4. Tigers is a business whose product is rugby and allegedly as plastered all around our stadium its the home of world class rugby.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Team:

1: Ellis Genge
2: Shalva Mamukshvili
3: Nephi Leatigaga
4: Blake Enever
5: Harry Wells
6: Luke Wallace
7: Tommy Reffell (Captain)
8: Cyle Brink

9: Ben White
10: Zack Henry

11: Nemani Nadolo
12: Matt Scott (Vice Captain)
13: Kini Murimurivalu
14: Kobus Van Wyk
15: Freddie Steward

16: Joe Heyes
17: Dan Cole
18: Tom Youngs
19: George Martin
20: Jordan Taufua
21: Ben Youngs
22: George Ford
23: Harry Potter

Breakthrough Player - With Ford away for much of the season Henry to step up and grown with game time / confidence. Possible call up into an England training squad and summer tour.

Predictions -

Wins (12) - Gloucester (H), London Irish (A), Newcastle (A), Worcester (H), Harlequins (A), Wasps (H), London Irish (H), Gloucester (A), Newcastle (H), Saints (H), Harlequins (H), Worcester (A)
Loses (10) - Exeter (H), Bath (H), Saints (A), Sale (H), Bristol (A), Exeter (A), Bath (A), Sale (A), Bristol (A), Wasps (A)

Most likely 6th - 8th place, the best of the rest if you like. Progression would be to comfortably beat the likes of Falcons, Irish, Warriors, Gloucester and Quins whilst taking a couple of wins against the likes of Wasps.

Not really bothered about Europe in all honesty. Would rather see us build something sustainable in the Premiership as a priority. Solid core of 30 players to select from .

I made the point before we restarted that this would be the only time we could truly give everyone a run of games to prove their worth with no threat of relegation. Next season will be very very different. Likely to be missing Ford and B. Youngs for much of it which I don't think we'll be a bad thing in the long run. Back to a 'normal' program where Borthwick will be picking his strongest squad every week so rotation is likely to disappear, I also think the squad will begin to be trimmed further in response to financial impact of covid and historic contracts so the likes of Ashland-Robinson, Sam Lewis, Jordan Olowofela, Johnny McPhillips, Guy Porters, Jaco Taute and George Worth move on.