Positives going forward

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Positives going forward

Post by fentiger »

OK, so we're probably all agreed on one thing... that WAS the worst season ever for Tigers!
However I do think there are some positives coming out of it:
Coaching: we are looking a lot fitter and, I think, less injury prone? Defence is, on the whole improved, especially with the 'first teamers' playing. Lineout much improved along with the rolling maul, plus some signs our maul defence is improving. Scrum pretty solid.

Players: T Youngs - much improved since restart. Genge - getting better again, probably a weight off his mind now youngster has arrived? Coley - as usual pretty steady, few silly penalties. Wells - much better in the second row, nuff said! Green - good L/O operator, has been useful around the park. Lavanini - settling in, is a 'marked man' for the refs, I think. Hanro - gets better each week. Taufua - brings an edge to the game, general menace glad he's on our side. Reffell - is a real gem, we need to keep him. Wallace - an excellent signing, gives it his best shot all the time.
B Youngs - whether it's team orders or not we never seem to get the same player that England do. Ford - my suspicion is it is team orders as he was so good last season? Nadolo - needs no introduction! Scott - good strong player starting to blend in well. Potter - looks another really good find. Porter - haven't seen a lot of him, jury out.
Minuses: Olowafela, Hardwick.

Not an exhaustive list just personal opinions. Can't help feeling if we take the shackles off we really will start to get the results we need :smt023
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Positives going forward

Post by baz1664 »

Coaching - We need a quality backs coach!! Plain and simple!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly a good backs coach won't change anything.
No backs coach dictate the overall game plan especially one that is kick chase.

Once we actually let loose our backs looked far better.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

So we saying SB is telling the backs to aimlessly launch it?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:28 pm So we saying SB is telling the backs to aimlessly launch it?
Reckon someone is....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think it's certainly those up top either Borth, Mruphy or potentially Mike Ford.
I don't think you will find a young backs coach who was shortlisted for the Aus job as wanting to kick chase.

or what do you think that Taylor when he coaches the backs spends all his time doing kicks?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Well that positivity thread lasted a long time eh?! :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

On positives for me this post lockdown?
I'm excited to see what Walters could do with a proper pre-season and with in depth knowledge of the players now.

The Development Squad looks seriously good
- Steward Is IMO nailed on 15
- Martin shined in his brief stint.
- Henderson and Chessum both showed grittiness in games destined to lose especially Henderson.
- Kelly looks a useful 13 in the making could do with a season in the Championship.

Really impressed with the new signings pretty much all seem to either fill in a role that they was signed for or shown some potential to do more. Nadolo stands out listening to him on and off he just seems a leader.

Some senior players have stepped up some not.

Lineouts and Mauls much improved on the whole compared to start of this season.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Some big positives, Steward, the young locks and young Kelly looked quick.
Murimurivalu has fitted in quickly.
More backrows to come.

Only complaint from me is one that has been for a while, and that is that 10 is too often too deep in my opinion.
Sheedy is probably my favourite 10 to watch presently and he mixes it up and attacks the line when needed, as Flood once did.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

Some huge positives.

Set piece much improved.

Defensive line speed much improved.

Nadolo is a beast.

Steward is a potential 10 year England full back.

Henry is a genuine replacement 10.

String of potentially very good 9s coming through.

There seems to be some genuine pride and commitment in the squad.

Balance in the pack and some genuine depth.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Steward, Nadolo, Liebenburg. Some other bits and pieces. Lineout has improved.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:28 pm So we saying SB is telling the backs to aimlessly launch it?
No Murphy has and if you want evidence, he actually said it at the last attended open supporters forum at Welford Rd. In reply to a supporters question as to why we persist with it when it does not work? He replied he would not dispense with it as it gives our players a breather. Well he kept his word and it still ain't working.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I believe yesterday showed enough attack promise, once Rod has had more time maybe we will start to rely on the kicking tactic less...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Steward's link up play down the left with Nadalo was sublime in the second half. Methinks the young man has nailed that 15 shirt down for the rapidly approaching new campaign.

Wells had a storming first half and then became quiet during the 2nd.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:38 pm
No Murphy has and if you want evidence, he actually said it at the last attended open supporters forum at Welford Rd. In reply to a supporters question as to why we persist with it when it does not work? He replied he would not dispense with it as it gives our players a breather. Well he kept his word and it still ain't working.
Heh!! Sapajo you have a good memory as it was me that asked one of the evenings last questions as I was sick and tired of seeing the hard working forwards struggling to win lineout or scrum ball only for the two leading "girls!" to kick the ball straight down their fast wingers throat and run it back through the "girls" or the tired forwards ~ time and time again we in the Crumbie would shout "Run it!" But here we are again still doing the same obviously wrong tactic outside our 22 ( still a cast iron instruction from Geordan to kick ~ who tried hard to belittle my enquiry)
However in the second half v Quins we eventually ran the ball and Scott touched the ball and out it spread>
I was shouting for Ben Youngs to be replaced on 60 minutes as he looked spent.
I know I am not alone in the criticism of these kicks outside the 22 and our try bonus point account is testimony to the lack of ball in hand as other teams have displayed. Roll on next season. :smt023