Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 04 Oct 20 15:00

Post by fentiger »

sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:48 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:44 pm The forwards are performing as a pack. The real problems lie with Youngs and Ford, if they are being told to kick it away then that problem shifts to the coaches. The rest of the backs are itching for the ball!

There is no if ! The problem lies with the coaches you do not see Youngs and Ford playing that game plan for England.
Likely that :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How do you define improvement.? Putting this seasons table next to the one before doesn’t make for good reading and last season we stayed up on merit,this season by default. The defence conceded slightly less points but scored over 100 points less. Imo the scrum has gone backwards,I could confidently say that we had the leagues best scrum,not any more. I suppose the only thing that has improved would be the maul,thoughts?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

fentiger wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:01 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:48 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:44 pm The forwards are performing as a pack. The real problems lie with Youngs and Ford, if they are being told to kick it away then that problem shifts to the coaches. The rest of the backs are itching for the ball!

There is no if ! The problem lies with the coaches you do not see Youngs and Ford playing that game plan for England.
Likely that :smt023
well whomever is at fault, and I have my suspicions given this tactic pre dates Borthwick etc. needs to get out of the way and let them play, otherwise we get such little drop off from Youngs and Ford to White and Henry we may as well have spent the money for Youngs & Ford on 3 or 4 other players
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We also won one more game last season so technically if you were to simplify it,if anything we have gone backwards!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

And the line out
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:02 pm How do you define improvement.? Putting this seasons table next to the one before doesn’t make for good reading and last season we stayed up on merit,this season by default. The defence conceded slightly less points but scored over 100 points less. Imo the scrum has gone backwards,I could confidently say that we had the leagues best scrum,not any more. I suppose the only thing that has improved would be the maul,thoughts?
10th or above in the table is the bare minimum for improvement IMHO, a few TBPs along the way would be nice
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:04 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:02 pm How do you define improvement.? Putting this seasons table next to the one before doesn’t make for good reading and last season we stayed up on merit,this season by default. The defence conceded slightly less points but scored over 100 points less. Imo the scrum has gone backwards,I could confidently say that we had the leagues best scrum,not any more. I suppose the only thing that has improved would be the maul,thoughts?
10th or above in the table is the bare minimum for improvement IMHO, a few TBPs along the way would be nice
Should be 9th really with no relegation worries at all but I’d take 11th if offered now!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:04 pm We also won one more game last season so technically if you were to simplify it,if anything we have gone backwards!
Scott, yet again you go looking for the negatives....this season cannot be compared to last seasons. The fight to stay up this season was not an issue given Saracens transgressions. If it had been, I expect the team selections would have been different.
Scrum, maul, lineouts, fitness and defence (in part) has improved.
Players have been given opportunities for the new Head Coach to see them in action and has started the rebuilding.
Rome was not built overnight. Judge it on next season and I personally believe that we will be in a better position.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:12 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:04 pm We also won one more game last season so technically if you were to simplify it,if anything we have gone backwards!
Scott, yet again you go looking for the negatives....this season cannot be compared to last seasons. The fight to stay up this season was not an issue given Saracens transgressions. If it had been, I expect the team selections would have been different.
Scrum, maul, lineouts, fitness and defence (in part) has improved.
Players have been given opportunities for the new Head Coach to see them in action and has started the rebuilding.
Rome was not built overnight. Judge it on next season and I personally believe that we will be in a better position.
It’s not negative,it’s the truth! And if there wasn’t a danger of going down why persevere with a turgid gameplan like that instead of taking the shackles off?!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Contrasting sides in a very watchable game.
A one score dead rubber of a game so nothing to get massively worked up about in my opinion.
Quins played better than on paper, particularly their midfield carrying, even long off the ruck they were pretty handy at it to beat Leicester's rush which got good momentum for them on occasions.
Get him close enough and Nadolo is a beast.
Remember Quins beat Sale so they are no mugs.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Positives from today:
-Wells much improved at lock, menace at the breakdown, good carrier and great all round display. One of our better forwards on the field today.
-Backrow did very well, Liebenberg has been our best forward since the restart and liked the look of Reffell and Wallace paired together.
-Back 3 looked like they could be something special. Nadolo and Steward linking very well and thought Van Wyk looked like a classy player who will only get better with more minutes in a Tigers shirt.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Dokie wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:12 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:59 pm Freddie Steward is by no means the finished article, but his performances are continuing to really impress, those two neat offloads to Nadolo were class, even if one might have been forward. Never seen Worth or Olowofela so assured and powerful in the air.
Onwards and upwards. The biggest plusses for me since lockdown are Steward, Wallace and Scott.
Negatives: our ‘big’ players. Both half backs have been so out of form. For the money we’ve spent, Muri has disappointed in his last two games and I felt Van Wyk looked a bit disinterested today. I hope he can bring more of the excitement and commitment that Steward shows.
However, with a better game plan, 6th-8th is a genuine possibility next year, along with a chance in Europe as more of the better teams will be in the Champions Cup.
#livethedream
Bit harsh on van Wyk only been with us for a couple of weeks, I don’t know how many other wingers would have finished that, especially since the pass from Steward was poor and he had to check his run. van Wyk was one of the best finishers in Super Rugby/SR Aotearoa this year so I’m excited about what he can do for us next year.
Wasn’t commenting upon the finish. Just his overall demeanour. When you pay big money for players, you expect them to turn up from day 1.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Onwards and upwards. The biggest plusses for me since lockdown are Steward, Wallace and Scott.
Negatives: our ‘big’ players. Both half backs have been so out of form. For the money we’ve spent, Muri has disappointed in his last two games and I felt Van Wyk looked a bit disinterested today. I hope he can bring more of the excitement and commitment that Steward shows.
However, with a better game plan, 6th-8th is a genuine possibility next year, along with a chance in Europe as more of the better teams will be in the Champions Cup.
#livethedream
Bit harsh on van Wyk only been with us for a couple of weeks, I don’t know how many other wingers would have finished that, especially since the pass from Steward was poor and he had to check his run. van Wyk was one of the best finishers in Super Rugby/SR Aotearoa this year so I’m excited about what he can do for us next year.
Wasn’t commenting upon the finish. Just his overall demeanour. When you pay big money for players, you expect them to turn up from day 1.
Oh come on! Really? Ok here’s my acid test for any constructive criticism that I make. Would I be prepared to say it to the player’s face? I think the answer in this case would be ‘heck no’. I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion on the very first appearance of a player who has hardly had time training in a side clearly lacking in confidence. Did you watch his interview on LTTV? Seems to be quite a laid back kind of dude.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The problem wasn’t on the wing.
Half backs who let us down. On that form their England days are numbered.

There is the backbone of a team but things need to change or we will be relegated or rely on ring fencing.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:23 pm

#livethedream
He did a lot of good things, he did some things I think he should have done better. He looked a bit rusty but having not played for a few weeks (5?) and only been in the country for a couple of weeks with a new team that's not massively surprising. I'm sure we'll see more from him next season.