Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 04 Oct 20 15:00

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks! Is that a Friday night?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:21 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:19 pm Well if proof was ever needed that we are wedded to playing to an appallingly anal game plan based upon kicking the ball away it was today
I thought we looked better when we tried to run the ball
Agreed and its hardly surprising
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Time for Borthwick and Murphy to play the same combinations at the beginning of next season. Ford and Youngs won’t be around for two thirds of the season So let Zac Henry play what he sees in front of him and take away the fear of running with the ball. Today, in the second half we looked ok to good when running with the ball but then when Quins had a player in the sin bin and with their defensive line all over the place the ball was kicked away.
To me personally, injuries permitting, Borthwick, not Murphy, must know what the first fifteen is!
Gloucester at home is a new start. It will be a MUST WIN game for boosting morale.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

simply put unless our England half backs seriously up their game next season we are wasting a hell of a lot of money on 2 players that are undroppable
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

There were some green shoots but perspective needed ,that was close to our first team against Quins missing 5/6? first choice at home and it’s another loss conceding a TBP again! There’s a MASSIVE task ahead to make sure we stay in this league next season. Call me negative if you want but we are in a mini league next season with LI,Wuss and Newcastle. Hope im wrong!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:10 pm
Traveller wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:08 pm Is it fair to assume that we just can't be worse next season?
We thought that last year!

But no I agree, I think the green shoots of recovery are there, at the end of the day just hope I can watch the lads in time soon. By the time they open the Crumbie again I’ll be buying the rounds!
Where’s your seat? I’ll make sure I’m near by :smt030
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:28 pm simply put unless our England half backs seriously up their game next season we are wasting a hell of a lot of money on 2 players that are undroppable
Sadly have to agree with this
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

chipnchase wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:37 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:28 pm simply put unless our England half backs seriously up their game next season we are wasting a hell of a lot of money on 2 players that are undroppable
Sadly have to agree with this
+1
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

This season has not been the best for Tigers both on the field and off the field with COVID. The transgressions of Saracens meant that Tigers were safe from relegation and performances were on the up pre-COVID lockdown. During lockdown, contracts ended and players came and went, some in not so wanted manner.
When the season recommenced, the schedules were tight with some matches played midweek. Tigers had the luxury of knowing that relegation was not a threat and played different combinations. Had a relegation battle been there, I expect that the teams would have been selected stronger for the challenge.
However, the players used have given the coaches an opportunity for them to perform and it will have highlighted positives and negatives to work on.
Borthwick stated that he had a plan and as has been said there have been some improvements but still more to come.
Roll on next season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:12 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:59 pm Freddie Steward is by no means the finished article, but his performances are continuing to really impress, those two neat offloads to Nadolo were class, even if one might have been forward. Never seen Worth or Olowofela so assured and powerful in the air.
Onwards and upwards. The biggest plusses for me since lockdown are Steward, Wallace and Scott.
Negatives: our ‘big’ players. Both half backs have been so out of form. For the money we’ve spent, Muri has disappointed in his last two games and I felt Van Wyk looked a bit disinterested today. I hope he can bring more of the excitement and commitment that Steward shows.
However, with a better game plan, 6th-8th is a genuine possibility next year, along with a chance in Europe as more of the better teams will be in the Champions Cup.
#livethedream
Bit harsh on van Wyk only been with us for a couple of weeks, I don’t know how many other wingers would have finished that, especially since the pass from Steward was poor and he had to check his run. van Wyk was one of the best finishers in Super Rugby/SR Aotearoa this year so I’m excited about what he can do for us next year.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

chipnchase wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:34 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:10 pm
Traveller wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:08 pm Is it fair to assume that we just can't be worse next season?
We thought that last year!

But no I agree, I think the green shoots of recovery are there, at the end of the day just hope I can watch the lads in time soon. By the time they open the Crumbie again I’ll be buying the rounds!
Where’s your seat? I’ll make sure I’m near by :smt030
Ahh I’m on the terrace I’m afraid.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

The forwards are performing as a pack. The real problems lie with Youngs and Ford, if they are being told to kick it away then that problem shifts to the coaches. The rest of the backs are itching for the ball!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:39 pm This season has not been the best for Tigers both on the field and off the field with COVID. The transgressions of Saracens meant that Tigers were safe from relegation and performances were on the up pre-COVID lockdown. During lockdown, contracts ended and players came and went, some in not so wanted manner.
When the season recommenced, the schedules were tight with some matches played midweek. Tigers had the luxury of knowing that relegation was not a threat and played different combinations. Had a relegation battle been there, I expect that the teams would have been selected stronger for the challenge.
However, the players used have given the coaches an opportunity for them to perform and it will have highlighted positives and negatives to work on.
Borthwick stated that he had a plan and as has been said there have been some improvements but still more to come.
Roll on next season.
Well it's about time his plan to obey Murphy and play a game solely based upon kicking the ball away and hoping for a different outcome was buried under the new hotel :smt011
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

fentiger wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:44 pm The forwards are performing as a pack. The real problems lie with Youngs and Ford, if they are being told to kick it away then that problem shifts to the coaches. The rest of the backs are itching for the ball!

There is no if ! The problem lies with the coaches you do not see Youngs and Ford playing that game plan for England.
Bobmac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Bobmac »

Too many basic errors across the park.