Tigers vs Quins - 04 Oct 20 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 04 Oct 20 15:00

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'm hoping Lewis gets a start, of the players we've had available since the restart think he's about the only one not to get a start
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

a) younger fans have to be attracted which at the moment won’t happen with the style of rugby we are playing
This is a big thing, especially with City doing so well these days. Theres certainly not much point carrying on with the stadium expansion until we start winning again. I'm really just hoping they are holding something back prior to next season. My optimism is starting to fade though with the recent heavy defeats considering they have been primarily working on defence....

I do still believe we will see things turn around next season, but its its getting harder, so could do with a win this weekend.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I think that the club are in real danger of not putting enough balance between the need to develop our squad and the effect of Tigers poor performances this season and particuarly since it restarted on any future potential ticket sales. Where are I sit in the Holland & Barret there has been a huge decline in season ticket holders giving up their seats over the last 5 seasons and frankly I cannot see this halting until such times as the product on the pitch significantly improves.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

If Brown is available for Squints then I'm going to count how many times we kick to him.
Season gone. Sarries gone. Confidence gone. Chance of hoping for a W gone. Glass is no longer half full - empty.
Enthusiasm for next season you've guest it gone.
I'm going into hibernation like a bear not a groundhog.
Please turn the lights off.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

wellstiger wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:47 am being cynical----
The only team we haven't put out against a team since restart is Loughborough Womens.
At least they'd make a game of it.
Might also learn how to work to a game plan.
Very constructive 😴
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:12 am Totally agree that the half back pairing should be the pair who will start most games next season. Doubt though if our current coaching set up has the balls to put Ford and Young’s on the bench! My problem is that White is now ingrained with kicking every ball away I’d try Jack Van Poortvliet. He has a bit of the Faf De Klerk about him and that’s certainly what the whole team needs: some urgency and energy.
Tigers has two huge problems going forward if in these difficult times the club wants to survive.
a) younger fans have to be attracted which at the moment won’t happen with the style of rugby we are playing
b) getting the winning habit.
At least Quins, with Smith and Care as half backs will bring some entertainment value!
At the moment I just want to see us win by scoring some tries.
I really think the volume of kicking is the tactics rather than players at this stage. All three scrum-halves who have started games have kicked most our ball away. The same with Ford and Henry. The poor execution is less forgivable from the England half-backs with 170 caps though it must be said.

I rate JvP and White very highly. White needs to get past frequently looking better from the bench than starting but he's definitely talented and I can see why Jones looked at him for the Baabaas game. His box kicking has been poor since the restart but so has Youngs and he'll almost certainly start for England this month. One area White is good that often gets overlooked is in defence. He's a good cover tackler and can drop back to take kicks. Faf and Dupont show how valuable that all around game from a scrum-half can be to a team.

On the lack of rugby being played, absolutely agree. Due to work I often can't watch games live but I'll watch them back in full later in the day/week. It's been a long time since I didn't watch a Tigers game all the way through. The Wasps and Bath games ended up being those occasions though. I turned off around the 50 minute mark because it just felt like a futile exercise to keep watching.

Nobody is expecting the Fiji Sevens team but when sides aren't even attempting to keep ball in hand and string phases together it gets tedious very quick.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not sure how much input EJ had into that England team that played the Baabaas as it was Voldemort that coached them that day. So whether White is on England's radar is doubtful really.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:44 pm Ok, so I can't think about tonight's game anymore it's too depressing. Onwards and upwards and let's end on a high.. huge match, huge.. nothing to play for season wise just confidence, pride and respect. So let's do this:

15 Kini Murimurivalu
14 Kobus Van Wyk
13 Guy Porter
12 Matt Scott
11 Nemani Nadolo
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs (vc)
1 Ellis Genge
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole (vc)
4 Tomás Lavanini
5 Calum Green
6 Harry Wells
7 Tommy Reffell
8 Hanro Liebenberg

Replacements:

16 Shalva Mamukashvili
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Nephi Leatigaga
19 Sam Lewis
20 Luke Wallace
21 Ben White
22 Zack Henry
23 David Williams

I'm not a fan of Wells at 6 but he seems to get the nod - hope that might change with the additions of Brink and Wiese for next season. Would like to see Lewis get a start but with Reffell likely starting at 7 I think the coaches will favour Wells again. Clare deserves a place in the 23 on merit imo but as it's the last game of the season I'd like to see Mamu get a little game time.

It's a shame we haven't had a chance to see the back row combination of Brink Taufua Liebenberg yet. That could be an incredibly solid back 3 with Wiese, Reffell, Lewis and Wallace stepping in as required. Exciting times ahead...

Anyway.. I digress.. back to this weekend.. any thoughts?

*forgot Van Wyk is available.. good shout
For me

15 Freddy Stewart
14 Kobus Van Wyk
13 Kini Murimurivalu
12 Matt Scott
11 Nemani Nadolo
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs (vc)
1 Ellis Genge
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole (vc)
4 Tomás Lavanini
5 Blake Enever
6 Harry Wells
7 Tommy Reffell
8 Hanro Liebenberg

I would like to see Blake Enever play in a strong side, he seems to be the only new signing who hasn't had the chance in a strong side
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Having just read the BBC article regarding Manu's latest injury is it worth risking our senior players in the Quinns game?? Should it be a case of "keeping the powder dry" until the real action starts with the new season??
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:59 pm Having just read the BBC article regarding Manu's latest injury is it worth risking our senior players in the Quinns game?? Should it be a case of "keeping the powder dry" until the real action starts with the new season??
Winning is a habit and we do not have that habit
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Lavanini is out until the end of December earliest. Perhaps move Wells and start Wallace?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Noggs wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:23 pm Lavanini is out until the end of December earliest. Perhaps move Wells and start Wallace?
That is bad news for Tigers and Tomas, wish him a full and swift recovery we need him back badly
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

sapajo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:30 pm
Noggs wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:23 pm Lavanini is out until the end of December earliest. Perhaps move Wells and start Wallace?
That is bad news for Tigers and Tomas, wish him a full and swift recovery we need him back badly
When not in the bin he is indeed a very good player. I also look forward to his speedy return to action.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

That is really unlucky for Tomas. We will miss him for the rest of the year. Apparently he got injured in the final minutes of the Toulon game and now needs an op. I wish him a speedy recovery.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Given injuries, I wonder about something like:

15 Freddie Steward
14 Kini Murimurivalu
13 Guy Porter
12 Matt Scott
11 Nemani Nadolo
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs
1 Ellis Genge