Clubs on the brink

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by chewbacca »

I too fear for our and other sports. The paucity of science and societal understanding or perhaps caring is certainly a major issue. I would argue the truth is the truth and that should be enough but under those conditions the presentation and leadership is absolutely vital. Not withstanding the service failures the message, its presentation and comprehension has so far been woeful.
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Frankly rugby union isn't suited to being fully professional.
Full time training has made the sport inherently dangerous.
When you do this the need for financial security for players beyond injury and retirement is an absolute must, which the sport simply can't now sustain on it's own.
Time to slow down a bit and for the sport to get real.
Just my opinion.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

BFG wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 pm Frankly rugby union isn't suited to being fully professional.
Full time training has made the sport inherently dangerous.
When you do this the need for financial security for players beyond injury and retirement is an absolute must, which the sport simply can't now sustain on it's own.
Time to slow down a bit and for the sport to get real.
Just my opinion.
This is something that I have to agree with. Rugby is just not a big enough draw at club level to attract the sort of money that it needs to pay the wages that the players are looking for, have squad sizes big enough to allow players rest and to look after players after their career. Sadly I think a return to the semi professional game may be the way forward
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

People sustained and life changing serious injury before professionalism, I think the game change to being paid to play and subsequent changes to the rules, not all of which I am in agreement with has actually made rugby safer. However BFG is right that there is an obligation on the clubs and the RFU to provide a means to financial security beyond injury and retirement, players on high wages have the answer in their own hands but the majority sharing the pitch with them will be on much lower wages whilst facing the same risks. That all comes at a cost, I do not believe the average fan can be asked to pay much more than they already do, the salary cap was a good idea but became distorted by the introduction of marquee players causing wage inflation. Prior to the 2015 salary cap inquiry and the subsequent increase in the cap Tigers were breaking even over the years whilst spending heavily on ground improvements, wealthy men taking over and spending big on clubs with no assets helped inflate wages to a non sustainable level all teams being forced to pay the higher rates or risk losing their stars.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We are clearly at risk.
I could see end of this a smaller ring-fenced league with smaller squads.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Irrespective of the size of the league, clubs will still need revenue and this will come through gate reciepts, season tickets and events and hospitality.........not a promising outlook for the future of todays clubs.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would be very interested to know what other clubs cuts looked like before coming into the restart?
Wondering how much money we might have saved compared to potentially others.
I think some clubs haven't even come to agreements with players for next season.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:38 pm People sustained and life changing serious injury before professionalism, I think the game change to being paid to play and subsequent changes to the rules, not all of which I am in agreement with has actually made rugby safer. However BFG is right that there is an obligation on the clubs and the RFU to provide a means to financial security beyond injury and retirement, players on high wages have the answer in their own hands but the majority sharing the pitch with them will be on much lower wages whilst facing the same risks. That all comes at a cost, I do not believe the average fan can be asked to pay much more than they already do, the salary cap was a good idea but became distorted by the introduction of marquee players causing wage inflation. Prior to the 2015 salary cap inquiry and the subsequent increase in the cap Tigers were breaking even over the years whilst spending heavily on ground improvements, wealthy men taking over and spending big on clubs with no assets helped inflate wages to a non sustainable level all teams being forced to pay the higher rates or risk losing their stars.
The pandemic has exposed something that has been going on for a few years on the fringes of the Premiership, and around the Championship and National One level, that is players (damaging their health) on low earnings.
Of course in the amateur days players at the top level trained a lot and played very hard but they were very big fish in a much smaller bowl, which is probably something similar to where this current scenario might end up.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Let's forget all the ifs, buts, whatevers, therefores, etc. etc. We just do not have a clue as to what will happen, and all the surmising is just hit and miss guess work. It is certainly an unerving situation, as we can all agree, and will affect all the rugby nations.

I quite like the thought of a return to amateur rugby, but we can all dream can't we?

We shall see what we shall see, when the "Fat Lady" has sung
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

This doesn't look good for sport
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54284735
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:30 pm This doesn't look good for sport
THEY can give millions, nay billions, to their rich pals to reward failure, but anything else except blood sports and racing can go hang. Don't criticise me for getting political, it Is political.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:27 pm
THEY can give millions, nay billions, to their rich pals to reward failure, but anything else except blood sports and racing can go hang. Don't criticise me for getting political, it Is political.
We could tie some heather to the seats, carry shotguns and claim we were attending a grouse shoot. That seems to be permitted.
I'm not cynical just experienced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chewbacca wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:30 pm
We could tie some heather to the seats, carry shotguns and claim we were attending a grouse shoot. That seems to be permitted.
Very true. Bring our dogs and pretend we're a hunt. Sponsor horse racing at Cheltenham. Claim we're all in Leicester for an eye test. 👺👺👺
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 pm
chewbacca wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:30 pm
Very true. Bring our dogs and pretend we're a hunt. Sponsor horse racing at Cheltenham. Claim we're all in Leicester for an eye test. 👺👺👺
:smt023
To win is not as important as playing with style!