Romain Poite

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Romain Poite

Post by Tigerbeat »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:17 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:33 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:51 pm I was under the impression that all players and officials had their temperature taken when they arrived at the ground and were subject to regular testing. You'd certainly hope that the ref had undergone all of that and doesn't have Covid. He could just have a cold or allergies.
Don't forget that it was in France and as we all know France only follows the rules it wants to, as per EU. and you can also be tested and shortly after develop something! I don't follow allergies, I suffer from those, coughing like that was suspicious. Maybe Robespierre could keep us posted? No one has replied as to whether he reffed Castres recently! 2 + 2 = 5
I work in an international group and the European based teams say exactly the same about us. We've asked to be excluded from so many things or so often been the problem child most will be happy to be shot of us.

If he had a cough and it was Covid then I would imagine he'd have had a raised temperature which may not have been high enough for a noticeable fever but would have been picked up on the temperature check when he arrived at the ground.
Temperature is one of the symptoms but not necessarily prevailent for someone to have COVID....passing a temperature test does not mean you are clear, just that you do not have one of the possible symptoms.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Not really rugby related!
But this is the whole huge media driven problem.
He has a cough
One of the Covid symptoms is a cough
Therefore he must have Covid
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

There is such a thing as a false negative test result.
They usually have an extra official at matches to cover injuries.
Whatever Poite was suffering someone could've stepped in.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Is one of the symptoms of Covid 19 an increase in randomness of decisions?
I watched the game and though as well as the coughing he was very off in decision making, even more than is normal for him!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Maybe he overdid the cigarettes during the warm up!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

LE18 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:33 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:51 pm I was under the impression that all players and officials had their temperature taken when they arrived at the ground and were subject to regular testing. You'd certainly hope that the ref had undergone all of that and doesn't have Covid. He could just have a cold or allergies.
Don't forget that it was in France and as we all know France only follows the rules it wants to, as per EU. and you can also be tested and shortly after develop something! I don't follow allergies, I suffer from those, coughing like that was suspicious. Maybe Robespierre could keep us posted? No one has replied as to whether he reffed Castres recently! 2 + 2 = 5

Time will tell if the cough was Covid related. I sincerely hope it wasn't for all concerned.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

You would think in the current climate that, irrespective of anything, just having a cough would be enough to keep you out of the stadium just to avoid any risk.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:28 pm You would think in the current climate that, irrespective of anything, just having a cough would be enough to keep you out of the stadium just to avoid any risk.
+1
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Did people never have coughs before Covid then? Surely if he's been tested for Covid and proved negative he's good to go?

People still get coughs and colds that are not Covid related.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Unless of course he knows the cause of the cough (just getting over a heavy cold for example).

I don't think they are idiots and I feel sure they are making the necessary checks to ensure player safety.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

northerntiger wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:24 am Not really rugby related!
But this is the whole huge media driven problem.
He has a cough
One of the Covid symptoms is a cough
Therefore he must have Covid
I got the impression he’d had a gulp of water and it had gone down the wrong way. ..
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

BFG wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 am There is such a thing as a false negative test result.
Actually I think he'd have needed to test negative twice to have been officiating the game. Any test has 3 outcomes, positive, negative and inconclusive. One of the ways to get the test more accurate is give them the inconclusive a higher window of the results. Based on the rules elite sport is working on inconclusive is considered a positive until a restest is done.

Also within the rules of elite sport are the fact that all involved get a test as soon as any symptoms are showing and they have to get a test in the immediate build up to a game.

Therefore I believe for Poite to have been reffing the game he would have tested negative twice (one with symptoms and one prior to the game) if either had been an inconclusive - he'd have been tested again so.

2 false negatives are very unlikely.

We do not have access to hid medical records and until he is put under investigation for bypassing the rules on testing we can be pretty assured that he was perfectly fine to officiate the game
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:27 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 am There is such a thing as a false negative test result.
Actually I think he'd have needed to test negative twice to have been officiating the game. Any test has 3 outcomes, positive, negative and inconclusive. One of the ways to get the test more accurate is give them the inconclusive a higher window of the results. Based on the rules elite sport is working on inconclusive is considered a positive until a restest is done.

Also within the rules of elite sport are the fact that all involved get a test as soon as any symptoms are showing and they have to get a test in the immediate build up to a game.

Therefore I believe for Poite to have been reffing the game he would have tested negative twice (one with symptoms and one prior to the game) if either had been an inconclusive - he'd have been tested again so.

We do not have access to hid medical records and until he is put under investigation for bypassing the rules on testing we can be pretty assured that he was perfectly fine to officiate the game
So basically although very unlikely anything is possible.
Very reassuring. :smt005
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

BFG wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:56 pm

True it's possible that everyone else on the pitch apart from Poite had Covid-19 however unlikely. Essentially it's about risk management. Say (and I don't have the data about what it is, but based on other medical test data).we're looking at a relatively high false negative of 2%. Odds of two false negatives are 1 in 2500. I'd be pretty confident in those odds.

Currently the odds of any random person having it in Leicester is about 1 in 1000, that means the anyone you come in to contact with (if you live in Leicester) is over twice as likely to have Covid than the guy who refereed the game.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:27 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:56 pm

True it's possible that everyone else on the pitch apart from Poite had Covid-19 however unlikely. Essentially it's about risk management. Say (and I don't have the data about what it is, but based on other medical test data).we're looking at a relatively high false negative of 2%. Odds of two false negatives are 1 in 2500. I'd be pretty confident in those odds.

Currently the odds of any random person having it in Leicester is about 1 in 1000, that means the anyone you come in to contact with (if you live in Leicester) is over twice as likely to have Covid than the guy who refereed the game.
Yes the odds are long.
Covid-19 can multiply.
The potential 1 in 2500 can become something else, and so on.