kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Freddie Steward

Post by kk20gb30 »

Starting to get noticed :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54179458

...and rightly so,
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Freddie Steward

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Agree completely. Composed on the ball and a brave defender as exemplified by a fantastic tackle on naiyaravoro.

Also appeared in the telegraph for those who have a subscription.

[url] https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... s-english/
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Good chance he’ll be picked in the next EPS as an apprentice player! Pity Martin picked up his injury as he may have been a shoe in too.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I could absolutely see Freddie in the EPS as an apprentice player, then quietly having the asterisk removed from his name in the squad listing, before making a debut off the bench. Similar to how Mercer and Hill were capped young by Jones.

He's a long way from the finished article but I honestly think he offers a lot of what Daly hasn't at fullback given his high ball work and physicality. Whilst he still offers a canon of a boot for tactical kicking.

Daly added a lot to England's attack with his ability to act almost as a playmaker in the outside channel. He is absolutely fantastic at that. His kicking game is also outstanding. Sadly his high ball work, positioning and last ditch tackling aren't as strong.

Furbank was clearly tried by Jones as a more 'traditional' fullback. Takes his high balls, makes his wingers look good. Furbank. whilst a good player who deserved that chance on form with Saints at the time, struggled to step-up in his England performances and his form since debuting has dropped with Saints. Arguably Mallinder had overtaken him as first choice fullback prior to Prince Harry picking up another untimely injury.

Freddie, whilst raw, has all the raw talent to be the fullback option that Jones probably hoped Furbank could offer.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Stick Cokanasiga and Hodge on the wings for England and you’ve got a pretty special future back 3.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not quite seen what Jones saw in Furbank and Daly simply isn’t a full back at international level. A bit of a puzzle. Talented player but doesn’t strike me as an England started. A bit like Oz can play a number of positions but is he a starter for England.

Steward looks a promising player and could he be in contention for the next World Cup.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Must agree he looks the part and will only get better.
I'm not cynical just experienced
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I just hope people give him a chance and don't rush him, he's still a young lad with what looks like a great future with some luck.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Great potential - could be a fixture in the Leicester side for seasons to come.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Hmm..potential is the word. Don't want to put anyone's fire out, but I think he needs to concentrate playing for Tigers and trying to secure a matchday squad position before he can think of international honours. I'm pretty sure that's what he's thinking. Small steps but he's no doubt on the right track.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I agree wouldn't want him dropped into the England team too early and have his confidence knocked. Apprentice player so he can go and learn in camp would be ideal. He's only 19 and already this good we want to build him up gradually so he fulfills all of his massive potential. Massive is the word for a 6ft5 and 17 stone fullback as well.

Each game he comes out his shell a little more and is growing in stature. For someone so young he seems completely at home with the pressure of Premiership. I'd like to see him work on his footwork though as he doesn't tend to beat the first man on kick returns, he manages to put himself in a position so that it's a side on tackle and so it's hard for the tackler to compete for the ball. That's good but if he can start beating the first man he'll cause carnage, Vs Saints when he got away in some space he made a lot of ground quickly and Ribbans ended up in the bin because of a panicked tackle. Hopefully he can pick up some tips from Murphy who had some simply brilliant footwork at the back.

The back three that started last weekend looked very good and big. When Murimurivalu is the "little" member of the back three that's a big back three. Not many teams are going to want to risk kicking to those three. Potter came on and did well just to add competition.
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:13 pm Good chance he’ll be picked in the next EPS as an apprentice player! Pity Martin picked up his injury as he may have been a shoe in too.
I was mightily impressed by Martin, it was a huge shame to see him get injured.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The condensed season has allowed us to see some very bright young talent given chances they perhaps would not have had in more normal circumstances. Martin, Henry, Steward among others have risen to the challenge and have great futures ahead of them. I just hope we gave them decent length contracts. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Noggs wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:27 am The condensed season has allowed us to see some very bright young talent given chances they perhaps would not have had in more normal circumstances. Martin, Henry, Steward among others have risen to the challenge and have great futures ahead of them. I just hope we gave them decent length contracts. :smt023
Zack Henry is older than Genge and Liebenberg. Not a youngster. Otherwise, I agree, it's been great seeing what youngsters like Martin and Steward are capable of.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Is it just me, or is there a bit of a Stimpson vibe about Steward? Just reminds me of a young, raw, undeveloped version. Let’s hope things come on well.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….