Brian Moore - Telegraph 14 Sep 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Brian Moore - Telegraph 14 Sep 2020

Post by fortysix »

We are actually very similar to West Indies Cricket.
So superior. For such a long time.
But wrecked by arrogant old fashioned imperialist thinking ( non-thinking) idiots at Board Level--who should have gone years ago.
And it really doesnt help having ex England players on the Board who might be great TV Pundits but are worthless as Non Exec Committee members.

Anyone agree ?????
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not sure being imperialist is a failure of the board, if you mean stuck in the past, than that view does have merit of some members but currently I’m satisfied with the current board.

I would like Ben Kay to decide though if he wants to be a pundit or a board member, not both.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The Board has been a constantly changing body since its inception, the one constant has been Peter Tom as Chairman, I think he would agree that not all decisions made by the Board have with hindsight been correct but many have, unfortunately incorrect decisions sometimes have consequences that take time to emerge and longer to correct. Like JP14 I believe that we are now back on the right path and the current Board and management will take us forward.
JP questions Ben Kay's contribution to the Board, only his fellow directors know if his involvement is worthwhile, he is a non'executive director, he has a job as a pundit, I suggest that puts him in a unique position to be in the know about what is happening in our game elsewhere and bring to the table facts that otherwise ordinary business men/directors would be unaware of.
When we changed from being run by a committee to a PLC board my concern was that with professionalism there would cease to be a supply of men that had dedicated their early years to achieving on the pitch whilst gaining the relevant experience in a profession or business that would enable them to make a positive contribution in decision making, fewer still would identify particularly with one club as player movement between clubs increased. Time may cure that problem as players retire and over say twenty-five years develop second careers but in the meantime I think we are fortunate that we have Ben & Rory to speak at Board level about matters that non professional rugby players would not be aware of and present relevant facts when hard business decisions are being made.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

JP14 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 am
I would like Ben Kay to decide though if he wants to be a pundit or a board member, not both.
I don't see any conflict.

As a pundit he gives good incisive comment on both the broader issues surrounding the game and actions on the field of play. No doubt he also makes good contributions at the board table, otherwise he would not keep his position. Unless of course you know different?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The board always gets the blame and to be honest it's a bit boring.
The youth development programmes were corrupted by the connected and Daddy coaches living the dream through their sons.
The talent tap stopped dripping whilst the bowl was slowly emptying.
Meanwhile the market for signings became extremely competitive.
It's that simple.
I think they had every right to sack Cockers, although it was very harsh he was DoR and so ultimately a drop in rugby standards was his responsibility.
Anyway that's in the past and I see green shoots in players like Steward.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

fortysix wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:50 pm But wrecked by arrogant old fashioned imperialist thinking ( non-thinking) idiots at Board Level--who should have gone years ago.

Anyone agree ?????
Not sure Imperialism is the right word. Or even old fashioned.

Other clubs caught up with us - in many ways emulating what we'd done before.

We struggled to respond and then made some bum moves. And once things are going poorly on the pitch it's easy to get rid of people. But then with that comes the issue of rebuilding/recruiting.

There have been a lot of board changes now and in turn coaching/player changes. So we need to give that time to grow. We certainly need to create a new history now. The dominant era Tigers is just that, history.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

fortysix wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:50 pm We are actually very similar to West Indies Cricket.
So superior. For such a long time.
But wrecked by arrogant old fashioned imperialist thinking ( non-thinking) idiots at Board Level--who should have gone years ago.
And it really doesnt help having ex England players on the Board who might be great TV Pundits but are worthless as Non Exec Committee members.

Anyone agree ?????
Wrecked by arrogance, complacency and incompetence. Its early doors and only time will tell if we have truly transformed ourselves both on and off the pitch. I desperately hope so
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I rate Brian Moore. Talks sense. No nonsense player. No nonsense pundit.
To be honest its only when you look inwards the problems become insurmountable.
I am under no illusion Mr Borthwick knows the challenge. He has stated " 2-3 seasons to get back to where we need to be".

Its every other b---ger that thinks/wants it to happen now or next season.

I believe that we are going to get there, the seeds are being sown. It won't be long before the knockers are knocked.The likes of Mr Moore will be eagerly awaiting our arrival. Then all the plaudits will be about how well the club, the coaches and players reacted in a time of adversity and only a great club as Tigers could have achieved that fate.
( To be continued )
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I feel like being a board member restricts Ben Kay in being able to say what he truly thinks, or maybe he genuinely believes everything he says about Tigers. In truth only he will know.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

This may be an oversimplification but the Tigers I remember were a first class, predominantly English, predominantly International pack with strength in depth of at least two per position with a bunch of adequate backs. (This includes you, Austin)

The last experiment was a stellar backline, the dream team, with a less than adequate bunch of forwards. Doomed to failure.

I've seen something of a resurgence recent that stems form the pack and I'm somewhat comforted.

If the ball winners can instill some confidence in the ball users something good may happen.

With due respect to Bill

Keep the Faith.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:54 pm This may be an oversimplification but the Tigers I remember were a first class, predominantly English, predominantly International pack with strength in depth of at least two per position with a bunch of adequate backs. (This includes you, Austin)

The last experiment was a stellar backline, the dream team, with a less than adequate bunch of forwards. Doomed to failure.

I've seen something of a resurgence recent that stems form the pack and I'm somewhat comforted.

If the ball winners can instill some confidence in the ball users something good may happen.

With due respect to Bill

Keep the Faith.
The old adage -  Forwards win matches, the backs by how much
Semper in excretia
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

JP14 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:25 pm I feel like being a board member restricts Ben Kay in being able to say what he truly thinks, or maybe he genuinely believes everything he says about Tigers. In truth only he will know.
I have to say I have seen no evidence of this and I do think he tells it as he sees it, very much like Moore.

As already said he is a non-exec board member, there for his insight and experience. His paid work is as a pundit and in my opinion he is the best one at it on the BT team.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!