Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Kobus Van Wyk

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Latest club update in Kobus was here:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... 494118.amp

However a couple of days ago someone on here suggested his Instagram was saying he was on his way (I don't have Instagram so can't check, if anyone can quote the post that would be great)

When he arrives I'd be tempted to throw him in on the bench as soon as he's over jetlag as he's played competitive rugby recently. My only question is, is NZ a county that they need to quarantine from?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Kobus Van Wyk

Post by trendylfj »

No need to isolate or quarentine on entry from NZ - https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1239961 ... ronavirus/
Hehehehehehehehe
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:54 pm Latest club update in Kobus was here:

However a couple of days ago someone on here suggested his Instagram was saying he was on his way (I don't have Instagram so can't check, if anyone can quote the post that would be great)

When he arrives I'd be tempted to throw him in on the bench as soon as he's over jetlag as he's played competitive rugby recently. My only question is, is NZ a county that they need to quarantine from?
It’s a farewell post that suggests he’s on his way:
“It’s been an amazing journey in Wellington, thanks to everyone that played a part in our lives, its been the most perfect timing. God all honour gives to you”

Murimurivalu went straight into the starting 15 so don’t see why wouldn’t put Van Wyk at least on the bench if he’s fit.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:54 pm Latest club update in Kobus was here:

..not the biggest Country in the world but a lot bigger than we are!!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Good job it wasn't Scotland you called a county!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Van Wyk posted an Instagram story of him in the gym at Tigers around 2 hours ago.

As others have said, if he’s fit he could be thrown into the match day 23 - though the other backs who are likely to be involved have put their hand up too.
How nice is it to genuinely have some selection battles for good reasons again!!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I'm looking forward to seeing van Wyk in a Tigers shirt - I think he could do a similar role to Thompstone in being a tough, dependable all-rounder on the wing.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:48 am I'm looking forward to seeing van Wyk in a Tigers shirt - I think he could do a similar role to Thompstone in being a tough, dependable all-rounder on the wing.
Wings are covered but centres are still a bit under gunned?
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Can he play centre?
BG01

Post by BG01 »

He can play centre, yes. But I wouldn't start him there vs Castres when he's not even been in the country a week.

I'd play him on the wing vs Bristol, with Potter or Williams on the other wing (and a Porter/Forsyth) centre combination.
Never believe generalisations
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Excellent news that he’s here and can train straight away, think he will be a good signing to be honest.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Two Premiership games for on field integration.The Castres game is the one game of meaning post re-start - it would be unfair on both Van Wyk and those who have played their way into contention for the match to throw him straight in.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think the main thing is getting him settled here as well, especially as Mrs VW is due to give birth shortly..the Oval Park creche is going to be busy.
Be good to get him on the park this season, but not imperative unless we beat Castres...
He may well need to play 13 as the back 3 from Sunday look pretty nailed.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am I think the main thing is getting him settled here as well, especially as Mrs VW is due to give birth shortly..the Oval Park creche is going to be busy.
Be good to get him on the park this season, but not imperative unless we beat Castres...
He may well need to play 13 as the back 3 from Sunday look pretty nailed.
In 18 or so years our academy will be well stocked...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 am Van Wyk posted an Instagram story of him in the gym at Tigers around 2 hours ago.

As others have said, if he’s fit he could be thrown into the match day 23 - though the other backs who are likely to be involved have put their hand up too.
Kobus Van Wyk cannot play for Tigers on Sunday V Castres as he is not at present in the Tigers list of European Challenge Cup registered players. ~ https://www.epcrugby.com/club/leicester-tigers/#players
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!