Ringfencing NOW upon us ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Ringfencing almost upon us ?

Post by Tiglon »

I haven't watched Pro14 for a couple of seasons but, when I did, it was fairly evident that ring fencing does not necessarily result in a better quality of rugby - more likely the opposite.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:15 am
chipnchase wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Why is it? We are obsessed with relation and promotion in this country. The fact is the game is now a business, if you don't have a market share to go at what are you actually adding.

The best benefit of this year (unofficial) ring fencing has been the amount of young talent being allowed game time too develop. Does anyone really think George Martin would have got 80 minutes on Saturday topping the Prem stats list for tackles and line out wins if we were in a relegation scrap?
The standard of rugby has been worse though. Many said it would be better if ring fencing was introduced.
ring fencing wit ha normal schedule not 3 games in a week would allow for youngsters and give teams the freedom to play a more attacking expansive game
That didn’t happen before lockdown even though Saracens had been relegated.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Has anyone else stopped watching the other games? I watch the Leicester games but watching one sided matches is not entertainment in my eyes.

I don't think this was the way to finish the season in hindsight.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:30 am Has anyone else stopped watching the other games? I watch the Leicester games but watching one sided matches is not entertainment in my eyes.

I think it is all fairly pointless - the league results and table is distorted.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:30 am Has anyone else stopped watching the other games? I watch the Leicester games but watching one sided matches is not entertainment in my eyes.

Same here, started off trying to watch nearly all the matches but my enthusiasm quickly faded. I'm not even that bothered about the Leicester games if I'm truly honest.Will probably even watch the MotoGP race on Sunday.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I don't watch the obvious mismatches e.g. Chiefs vs Wuss 2nds.
I do turn off when it is clear the ref is allowing all sorts of fun at the breakdown, as it gets up my nose badly, especially as some refs do police it properly (it's one of the reasons Chiefs didn't progress in Europe, Prem refs far too lenient on them, other refs not).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

daktari wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:46 am

I think it is all fairly pointless - the league results and table is distorted.
I don't think it's any good for players or fans. The worry is that, as well as compressing the end of 19/20, the knock-on effect on 20/21 which should already started will also be deleterious. Presumably it needs to be done to contractually secure TV money and other sponsorship.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Apart from the dingdong battle between Wasps and Bath, the resumption has not exactly been box office but it’s unfair to judge on whether a four-five year ringfencing would work when we’re currently planning on a rushed fixture list.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:18 pm Apart from the dingdong battle between Wasps and Bath, the resumption has not exactly been box office but it’s unfair to judge on whether a four-five year ringfencing would work when we’re currently planning on a rushed fixture list.
I agree resting one or two because there's a big game in a weeks time, having to rotate an entire team because there's 3 games in a week is another
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I actually think blocks of midweeks game with appropriate free weekends would be better. A number of players have commented on how much better they’re feeling because they’re only playing and not having train 5 days solid before a game.

Big argument for 2 months pre season and then quick fire blocks of games
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

chipnchase wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:51 pm I actually think blocks of midweeks game with appropriate free weekends would be better. A number of players have commented on how much better they’re feeling because they’re only playing and not having train 5 days solid before a game.

Big argument for 2 months pre season and then quick fire blocks of games
there was talk of midweek games during international windows so clubs aren't having to compete with those games in terms of TV and attendance
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

That is actually a really good shout
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

'Informed' speculation from Neal Harvey in 'The Rugby Paper' (6/12/20) states that a 13 team Premiership with a moratorium on promotion and relegation is realistically set to be announced by January 2021 for the following season(s).Effectively , this paves the way for the return of Saracens plus potentially any other side(s) based on the their ability to meet financial requirements and resting on the purchase of Premiership shares (Presumably Ealing in the foreground of thought)....This latter point/pre requisite due to the fact that any new Premiership participant would be guaranteeing themselves access to future Premiership revenue streams.

Hopefully I have accurately précised the article.

Buying your way to the Premiership ??
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The current system means that effectively you have to buy your way up anyway to secure promotion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:48 pm So a question to all forum users, if, as seems likely, a 13 team ring fenced premiership happens from the beginning of the 21/22 season, How many posters who have openly said they hate/dislike ring fencing, will stop following not only Tigers, but The Premiership in general?
...why would they!!!
It would be the only source of professional rugby available for miles and featuring a club they have supported for years.
It is equivalent to expecting Saracens supporters to leave their club in view of what has transpired off the pitch.
It is not going to happen!!