OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:38 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:27 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:21 pm

Tigerbeat, I am 99% of time positive, but at no stage in that game did we ever look like holding them. We got hammered in the second half and to be honest lucky not to get humped in the first.
Wasp were better by a country mile and shows just how poor we are and how far we are away from not being relegated next season.
This restart of the season is asking a lot of questions of the younger players and these games have been used as pre- season training and due to COVID....with no threat of relegation and not able to make the top 8, the coaches have the opportunity to see how the players handle the big games....lots to be learnt and work on.
I get what the idea is or is meant to be but at the moment all the younger players are learning is how to have a chat behind the posts every 5 to 10 minutes. I am not sure what they would have learnt from this game?
Like I said, I am usually in the happy clapper brigade, but even I am struggling to see a positive performance coming anytime soon, and I live in Tigers tinted glasses.
Today was a shambles, there’s no disguising that. Let’s wait and see how our first XV gets on at the weekend against Saints and then in Europe the weekend after. Today was embarrassing no question about it but it was always a massive mismatch on paper. Our youngsters getting thumped away to a strong Wasps team is one thing.. If we get thumped at the weekend and lose to Castres that’s another..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Louis

Post by Louis »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 pm
Louis wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:18 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:10 pm Radio Leicester, the Mercury, BT and the national papers need to demand answers from Borthwick over his selection policy and total lack of attacking plan
I am in no way disagreeing with you.

My thoughts are this: What is the plan?

Why: SB is no fool. Coached at the highest level. We've had big changes in personnel at Tigers. Lots of old blood out, lots of new blood in. Not all of it shabby by any means. What is happening at Leicester that results in this sort of outcome? There must be a plan, so what is it?
Plan. Build a bigger hotel on the pitch?
Could generate some much needed revenue. Suggest it to the board.

:smt002
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Tbh I do have to question the game plan before the games it's like we have almost admitted defeat before we go out there!! The attack is almost non existent we kick all the midfield ball away and our attack is so blunt.

Last year I felt the players were good enough but weren't trying at all at times today I thought we were trying but some players just aren't good enough. Of course today is a massive step backwards but this is going to be a long rebuild and we have seen some positives in the last 5 games
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Didn't watch it. Had a look at the two teams and thought "We're in for a regular shellacing here."

To paraphrase Mr Blackadder "These games are like a broken pencil. Pointless."

As far as Tigers are concerned that's right on so many counts. Get this season's tripe out of the way and bring on next season:s tripe.

Onward and sideways!

Keep the Faith.
Last edited by Big Dai on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The result reflected the difference between the 2 selected sides. Positives for me are that Worth and Porter were solid, Henry is an excellent backup SO and they never gave up trying in spite of losing much of their shape in the 2nd half. Negatives - Line out was very poor (Launchbury got away with so much - credit to him), Leatigaga needs a lot of work in the scrum, Kerr has a long way to go both with his throwing in and in the scrum as well as many of the others and our defence was torn to bits. We must now play our best available 23 for the rest of the season - no ifs or buts. The youngsters play when senior players are not available.

I wish I could be convinced about GM's role in both selection and training. - I want the buck to stop with SB and he has to have total control and the final say. I don't know if he has or not but I do want him to be our leader in every way.
Hehehehehehehehe
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

...so far Wasp has been the only team not to take their foot off the gas!!!
We have covered over the cracks with our comebacks in previous games but Wasp took the opportunity to put the points on us and the most disappointed person tonight would be Dallaglio who I suspect would be furious they did not make it 60 points.
If Murphy is still in charge of team selection, then we have not learned our lessons. Borthwick needs to be his own man.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:41 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:37 pm

I personally think it’s still GM
Why so?
Just what I’ve been told,there are allegedly still problems with some players with GM behind the scenes too.
So, publically Borthwick has said "I pick the team" and privately he's not? I can't see Borthwick being someone's puppet and also can't see him signing up for a job where he's not going to be able to carry out selection the way he wants to.

I also doubt very much that players would have signed up to new terms or extend their contracts if they couldn't work with the DoR
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

A CEO who moves up to Chair the Board only ever causes issues. Sorry to say but in order to really get a clean broom in GM needs to move on. SB will be looking over his shoulder constantly.

Agree with all the comments ref the younger players - they simply aren't up to the standards being set in the majority of other teams.
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

markharbtiger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:30 pm All we need to do is improve our defence and our attack. :smt002
But more seriously, forget the next few games and start again next season.
I really can’t see it being much the different next season. Yes we have players coming in, but squad depth is appalling. From what we’ve seen over the last six games, we don’t deserve to be a Premiership side and quite frankly we’d struggle in the Championship.
Last edited by rich1576 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We can but hope this is just pre season training.

However we have played only one team that would have competed with Tigers of 10 years ago (Exeter), the rest are nowhere near top European level. It gives a clear indication of where we are at.

We must be skint given the cast offs we have signed and the absolute mediocre players we have retained.
How many of them would be signed by other Premiership teams? Of the players we lost only Manu and Vianu went to top level teams. Some haven’t got jobs. Our replacements are a step down from that.

In the past I have said we were not as good as the sum of our parts. Sadly that seems irrelevant now, there is no making a silk purse out of this sow’s ear.
Yes we have one or two players lined up for next season, but we need some real quality signings. Unfortunately those players won’t be available until the start of the 21/22 season. I fear Borthwick will have a real struggle to keep us in the Premiership. He clearly has a structure and game plan in mind but too many of those players are simply incapable of putting that game plan into action.

Sorry but we are becoming a laughingstock.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:48 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:41 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 pm

Why so?
Just what I’ve been told,there are allegedly still problems with some players with GM behind the scenes too.
So, publically Borthwick has said "I pick the team" and privately he's not? I can't see Borthwick being someone's puppet and also can't see him signing up for a job where he's not going to be able to carry out selection the way he wants to.

I also doubt very much that players would have signed up to new terms or extend their contracts if they couldn't work with the DoR
Just what I’ve been told,and the guy has an excellent strike rate.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

I always thought that the 0-45 capitulation against Bath a few years back would be the worst game I’d ever see Tigers play. That was a dark day but it was unexpected and although the team was already in decline back then, the rest of that season almost seems like golden days compared to Murphy’s reign. This result is so much worse because, aside from the greater losing margin, despite the 7 points on the board it was a shockingly feasible outcome.

Some of the young players do look promising but in these circumstances I find the tactics utterly baffling. I’ve only played second row in a social side so don’t pretend to be a master tactician - the activities and responsibilities of those outside the pack always seemed irrelevant and inconsequential to me. All that aside, when Tigers are losing badly why don’t the team just try and play a bit of rugby instead of this kicking?! It achieves nothing but the conservation of energy which seems daft - I‘d rather see them give everything to get some decent territory and cough up the odd lung. That would show fight and intent but would also presumably sharpen up their skills in the loose.

Im struggling to see anything other than a relegation battle at best next year but I really hope I am wrong.
Last edited by Brutus on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Redstripeman wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 pm ...so far Wasp has been the only team not to take their foot off the gas!!!
We have covered over the cracks with our comebacks in previous games but Wasp took the opportunity to put the points on us and the most disappointed person tonight would be Dallaglio who I suspect would be furious they did not make it 60 points.
If Murphy is still in charge of team selection, then we have not learned our lessons. Borthwick needs to be his own man.
That’s an excellent point what I have echoed. It’s been more teams having already wrapped up the game and easing off more than anything
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Murphy or SB spoken yet?
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

All you moaners wait till next season, all players available therefore game plan can be worked on, AND the squad will not be knackered from 9 pointless pre-season type games. The younger squad players will learn and some players may fall by the wayside. Let's all stay positive and wait till the squad is finalised.
Scott 1 change the song!