Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:22 pm What I think tells heavily is the number of ex-Tigers players we face in opposition each week and how well most seem to be doing. It's a long list, too.
Really? Umaga today... who else? Brookes was average at best.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

All we need to do is improve our defence and our attack. :smt002
But more seriously, forget the next few games and start again next season.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

markharbtiger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:30 pm All we need to do is improve our defence and our attack. :smt002
Don't forget the set piece...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

gingertiger47 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:26 pmCan it really get any worse?
Careful what you wish for.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

I'm not convinced that Borthwick is all he was cracked up to be. A "world-class coach" was in fact a forwards coach under a very strong-minded head coach. It's worth bearing in mind that in his last match with England the pack was out-thought and out-gunned by a Springbok eight who were very astutely coached. Whoever is selecting the Tigers teams is clearly not up to the job.
Ancient Mariner
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Crofty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:32 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:30 pm All we need to do is improve our defence and our attack. :smt002
If you ignore today’s shambles our lineout and scrum have been solid. I’ve been very impressed with the huge improvement in the lineout in particular as you’d expect with SB at the helm.. not sure what happened today!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:34 pm
Crofty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:32 pm
If you ignore today’s shambles our lineout and scrum have been solid. I’ve been very impressed with the huge improvement in the lineout in particular as you’d expect with SB at the helm.. not sure what happened today!
Yes, I feel the set piece has largely improved
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ancientmariner wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:34 pm I'm not convinced that Borthwick is all he was cracked up to be. A "world-class coach" was in fact a forwards coach under a very strong-minded head coach. It's worth bearing in mind that in his last match with England the pack was out-thought and out-gunned by a Springbok eight who were very astutely coached. Whoever is selecting the Tigers teams is clearly not up to the job.
I personally think it’s still GM
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:27 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:21 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:16 pm Second half, Wasps have played far better and have executed their moves with accuracy and pace.....a well drilled side.
Credit must go to a good Wasps side and their position in the table is evident.
Tigerbeat, I am 99% of time positive, but at no stage in that game did we ever look like holding them. We got hammered in the second half and to be honest lucky not to get humped in the first.
Wasp were better by a country mile and shows just how poor we are and how far we are away from not being relegated next season.
This restart of the season is asking a lot of questions of the younger players and these games have been used as pre- season training and due to COVID....with no threat of relegation and not able to make the top 8, the coaches have the opportunity to see how the players handle the big games....lots to be learnt and work on.
I get what the idea is or is meant to be but at the moment all the younger players are learning is how to have a chat behind the posts every 5 to 10 minutes. I am not sure what they would have learnt from this game?
Like I said, I am usually in the happy clapper brigade, but even I am struggling to see a positive performance coming anytime soon, and I live in Tigers tinted glasses.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

ancientmariner wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:34 pm I'm not convinced that Borthwick is all he was cracked up to be. A "world-class coach" was in fact a forwards coach under a very strong-minded head coach. It's worth bearing in mind that in his last match with England the pack was out-thought and out-gunned by a Springbok eight who were very astutely coached. Whoever is selecting the Tigers teams is clearly not up to the job.
Sack everyone and sack those who sacked them and let's start again.......
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:37 pm
Why so?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

No excuses but we weren't helped by a ref who was inconsistent with his scrum timings. Unfortunately I don't think Genge was cute enough to realise and have a word!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

It’s unfair to criticise SB. I remember when Eddie Jones was first appointed and said after the first few games that a new coach is playing with someone else’s team.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 pm
Sack everyone and sack those who sacked them and let's start again.......
The way things are just wait for us to inevitably go bust in the middle of the championship table during the 2023-24 season, that'll do the job for you...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:37 pm
Why so?
Just what I’ve been told,there are allegedly still problems with some players with GM behind the scenes too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer