Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Post by ABClub »

Just because it's been said before doesn't mean that I can't hold the view we'd be better off in these games by letting our youngsters get game time with the internationals, hence developing the whole squad rather than the first XV.

Personally I think the experience gained for the younger players from for instance Ben White starting with Geoge Ford, Zach Henry with Ben Youngs or Guy Porter with Matt Scott would sit us in better stead for next season than the current selection policy.

Wanting us to rotate I'd argue is the less result orientated view of finishing the dead rubbers this season. Picking a full first XV for some games then de facto giving up on others would seem the obvious method to target wins in easier games - such as London Irish at home - to gloss over our position in the table. The issue is that thus far picking the first XV together hasn't really yielded the wins to gloss over anything!

Tigers have had a good first XV on paper the last few years. It's done nothing for us though as good sides these days are capable of rotating their squads week to week, rather than having a first XV that play when fit regardless of form, then a second XV then get thrown out during international periods and injury crisis. The later is a throwback to the amateur days and something that clubs who have surpassed Tigers have moved beyond.

The performances against Saints and Castres will be an interesting measure of whether playing what seems to be Borthwick's first choice 23 as a unit has paid off at least in terms of them gelling as a team somewhat. The lineout and fitness has already improved. The back play, kick chase and defence until after the opposition have claimed the TBP are still frustratingly dire though.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:14 pm
The performances against Saints and Castres will be an interesting measure of whether playing what seems to be Borthwick's first choice 23 as a unit has paid off at least in terms of them gelling as a team somewhat. The lineout and fitness has already improved. The back play, kick chase and defence until after the opposition have claimed the TBP are still frustratingly dire though.
Agreed. I think SB wants to target the Castres game and with 3 games in 8/9 days it kind of means playing an A and B team rather than mixing it up. There are definite benefits to the pairings you suggest and I’d like to see those too but in order to have a first XV playing together and singing from the same hymn sheet in advance of Castres it kind of makes sense to do it this way.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

15 Worth
14 Potter
13 Kelly
12 Hardwick
11 Olowofella
10 Henry
9 Simmons
8 Coughlan
7 Smith
6 Lewis
5 Enever
4 Henderson
3 Heyes
2 Youngs
1 Gigenga
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:55 pm Focus has to be getting our starting XV nailed down for Castres.. The team against Sale seemed to struggle for parts of the game and didn’t quite gel so the Saints game will give the ‘First XV’ another chance to gel before the big one.

So a midweek chance for the youngsters, I’m thinking:

15 Zack Henry
14 Jordan Olowafela
13 George Worth
12 Dan Kelly
11 Harry Simmons
10 Tom Hardwick
9 Jack Van Poortvliet
1 Ryan Bower
2 Jake Kerr
3 Joe Heyes
4 Cameron Henderson
5 Blake Enever
6 Sam Lewis
7 Thom Smith
8 Jordan Coghlan

Replacements
16 Charlie Clare
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Osman Dimen
19 Ollie Cheesum
20 Henri Lavin
21 Ben White
22 Johnny McPhillips
23 Andy Forsyth

I’d like to see Henry at 10 really as I think that’s he best position but this is what I think we’ll see. We might go for Worth at 15, Hardwick in the centre and Henry at 10 but this makes more sense for players preferred positions.
Its got to be Henry at 10
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TIGERS XV

15 George Worth

14 Harry Potter

13 Dan Kelly

12 Guy Porter

11 Harry Simmons

10 Zack Henry

9 Ben White (vc)

1 Ellis Genge (c)

2 Jake Kerr

3 Nephi Leatigaga

4 Cameron Henderson

5 Blake Enever

6 Ollie Chessum

7 Thom Smith (vc)

8 Jordan Coghlan

REPLACEMENTS

16 Charlie Clare

17 Facundo Gigena

18 Joe Heyes

19 Harry Wells

20 Sam Lewis

21 Ben Youngs

22 Johnny McPhillips

23 Andrew Forsyth

No Hardwick, Tom Youngs or Reffell suggesting that maybe they are carrying knocks. Maybe Hardwick coming off against Glaws wasn't as tactical as we thought.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Just announced

TIGERS XV

15 George Worth

14 Harry Potter

13 Dan Kelly

12 Guy Porter

11 Harry Simmons

10 Zack Henry

9 Ben White (vc)

1 Ellis Genge (c)

2 Jake Kerr

3 Nephi Leatigaga

4 Cameron Henderson

5 Blake Enever

6 Ollie Chessum

7 Thom Smith (vc)

8 Jordan Coghlan

REPLACEMENTS

16 Charlie Clare

17 Facundo Gigena

18 Joe Heyes

19 Harry Wells

20 Sam Lewis

21 Ben Youngs

22 Johnny McPhillips

23 Andrew Forsyth
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wasps going all out.

Looking at various teams I feel we have been rather unlucky in always being against a 1st choice team.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wasps: 15 Matteo Minozzi, 14 Zach Kibirige, 13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Ryan Mills, 11 Marcus Watson, 10 Jacob Umaga, 9 Dan Robson; 1 Tom West, 2 Gabriel Oghre, 3 Kieran Brookes, 4 Joe Launchbury (c), 5 James Gaskell, 6 Alfie Barbeary, 7 Thomas Young, 8 Brad Shields Replacements: 16 Tom Cruse, 17 Simon McIntyre, 18 Jeff Toomaga-Allen, 19 Levi Douglas, 20 Jack Willis, 21 Sam Wolstenholme, 22 Jimmy Gopperth, 23 Sam Spink

Not the brightest use of a lot of big names in my opinion but there you go. We'll do well to keep this under 50.
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:08 pm Wasps going all out.

Looking at various teams I feel we have been rather unlucky in always being against a 1st choice team.
We must now be the only team who haven’t played against a weakened opposition. Hopefully it will take its toll on some of these clubs during next season. It was blatantly obvious to anybody that the Tigers side would look something like this so why haven’t Wasps gambled in any way and rested a few key players. I’d like to see our younger players in a match where they are able to stay in the game a little more.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

We need to be testing the young guns against good teams if we are stretch them and discover their strengths and weaknesses. View every game in terms of the bigger picture. It is a learning curve for all involved.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Most likely a game of trying to find the small positives.
If Kelly can even do a little v Fekitoa I would be extremely impressed.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'm surprised by Wasps selection as they have fellow top 4 rivals Bristol visiting next up and Wasps will have played a lot of their 1st XV weekly minutes against Sarries and then us
AshbyTiger

Post by AshbyTiger »

Interesting that Genge is named captain when White and Smith are both in the starting XV having previously captained the side.

Maybe this is a tactic by Borthwick / Murphy to try and develop more leaders within the squad?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wasps put out a full strength team against our secondary team, 4th place vs 11th place, yet I'd still rather have our tight 5 (ok it's where some of the guys who would normally be in and around 1st choice are playing)

Yes I expect to lose but yes I can see us having decent platform from set piece.

Could do with Enever stepping up and showing why he's got a Wallabie cap, but I'm looking forward to another chance to give a team a fright. Ok may not work, but it might!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Harrystiggers

Post by Harrystiggers »

Glad to see Charlie Clare in the squad again. Solid 80 minutes last week followed up by the impressive run out against Sale.
19 tackles must be near the top.
Pity he was given the wrong call in the line-out at the end. Must be a contender for a regular place.