Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Focus has to be getting our starting XV nailed down for Castres.. The team against Sale seemed to struggle for parts of the game and didn’t quite gel so the Saints game will give the ‘First XV’ another chance to gel before the big one.

So a midweek chance for the youngsters, I’m thinking:

15 Zack Henry
14 Jordan Olowafela
13 George Worth
12 Dan Kelly
11 Harry Simmons
10 Tom Hardwick
9 Jack Van Poortvliet
1 Ryan Bower
2 Jake Kerr
3 Joe Heyes
4 Cameron Henderson
5 Blake Enever
6 Sam Lewis
7 Thom Smith
8 Jordan Coghlan

Replacements
16 Charlie Clare
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Osman Dimen
19 Ollie Cheesum
20 Henri Lavin
21 Ben White
22 Johnny McPhillips
23 Andy Forsyth

I’d like to see Henry at 10 really as I think that’s he best position but this is what I think we’ll see. We might go for Worth at 15, Hardwick in the centre and Henry at 10 but this makes more sense for players preferred positions.
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Post by tigerburnie »

I think George Martin has an injury.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:08 pm I think George Martin has an injury.
Knee injury - recovery in months rather than weeks, I've been told.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Imagine we’ll see the first appearances for Forsyth, Jennings and Lewis. Keep our powder dry for the Saints game.

Bower Mashmu Heyes
Chessum Enever
Lewis Smith Coghlan
JVP Jennings
Hardwick Forsyth
Olowofela Worth Simmons

Gigena Kerr Dimen Henderson Lavin Law McPhillips Kelly
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:10 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:08 pm I think George Martin has an injury.
Knee injury - recovery in months rather than weeks, I've been told.
Yep you’re right.. I’d forgotten that. Sorted :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:33 pm Imagine we’ll see the first appearances for Forsyth, Jennings and Lewis. Keep our powder dry for the Saints game.

Bower Mashmu Heyes
Chessum Enever
Lewis Smith Coghlan
JVP Jennings
Hardwick Forsyth
Olowofela Worth Simmons

Gigena Kerr Dimen Henderson Lavin Law McPhillips Kelly
Like this.. I think you’re right that Forsyth and Jennings are likely to feature
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:55 pm Focus has to be getting our starting XV nailed down for Castres.. The team against Sale seemed to struggle for parts of the game and didn’t quite gel so the Saints game will give the ‘First XV’ another chance to gel before the big one.

So a midweek chance for the youngsters, I’m thinking:

15 Zack Henry
14 Jordan Olowafela
13 George Worth
12 Dan Kelly
11 Harry Simmons
10 Tom Hardwick
9 Jack Van Poortvliet
1 Ryan Bower
2 Jake Kerr
3 Joe Heyes
4 Cameron Henderson
5 Blake Enever
6 Sam Lewis
7 Thom Smith
8 Jordan Coghlan

Replacements
16 Charlie Clare
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Osman Dimen
19 Ollie Cheesum
20 Henri Lavin
21 Ben White
22 Johnny McPhillips
23 Andy Forsyth

I’d like to see Henry at 10 really as I think that’s he best position but this is what I think we’ll see. We might go for Worth at 15, Hardwick in the centre and Henry at 10 but this makes more sense for players preferred positions.

I like the look of that although I'd swap White and Poortvliet around to be fair - as much as I rate Poortvliet think we need a more experienced 9 against Wasps. The way they've been playing recently hopefully they will put their youngsters out too so we don't get a pasting. I do hope Sam Lewis gets a chance.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There's no easier fixtures for us and trying to target a game at home without the crowd maybe pointless, for me the rest of this season is all about preparation for the next season, giving young inexperienced players game time is something many have been demanding for years, now is the time to do it. The key thing is we need to be learning from this, who are our leaders on the park, who fits best in certain combinations and thus we should find our best team/squad, then with care and rotation to keep players fresher and honest, we should be in a good place going forwards. Borth's attention to detail is something some of our players will need time to learn, but I still see an improvement on where we were last year.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I think J Taute needs a game or two in the squad as he needs to up his game to cement 1st team selection.
He appears to be off the pace in the Prem.
If we are selecting on merit for the biggers games to "earn the stripes" then he needs the game time.
Otherwise I'd go with posts selections.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Apart from Taufua, few of the subs got more than 10 minutes yesterday so it's possible they're going to involved in some capacity.

Worth
Browning
Kelly
Porter
Potter
Henry
Simmons
Gigena
Mamukashvili
Heyes
Henderson
Enever
Lewis
Smith
Coghlan

With a bench of
Kerr
Bower
Whitecombe
Chessum
Lavin
JVP
Jennings
Forsyth
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Whilst I think there has been improvement in a number of areas, if we are honest we still have a long way to go. Defence has improved but isn't where it needs to be for Premiership level...since restart, with the exception of LI, we have lost every game by a bonus point win to the opposition without gaining a single BP ourselves. I am confident we will be competitive sometime over the next year and am fully behind the coaches, but realistically I think we are looking at improvement over the remainder of this season rather than any wins.
As Good As It Gets
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Now, in Premiership terms, a meaningless game against a very much in form side.Would have liked to avoided eleventh place whilst preparing for the new.next/season but this is not now going to happen.
Preparation for Castres and the onset of the new season is now the order of the day and I believe structure ,defence and game management should be predominant in our minds.Also (in my opinion) ,should any of our new and thus far unused signings be available they should be named in the Matchday 23 and used so as to integrate them into real game-time.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With no "A" games we will have to manage our squad differently to give all players some game time and keep all motivated, that is going to test our man management skills(this will also apply to every other team in the league).
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd guess that Jennings and Forsyth being signed to play is indicative that this will be a real 2nd string with little crossover from the matchday squad on Saturday. Something like below perhaps:

1.Gigena
2.Kerr
3.Heyes
4.Henderson
5.Enever
6.Lewis
7.Smith (c)
8.Coghlan

9.Simmons
10.Hardwick

11.Potter
12.Porter
13.Forsyth
14.Olowofela
15.Worth

16.Mamukashvili
17.Bower
18.Dimen
19.Chessum
20.Lavin
21.JvP
22.Jennings
23.Kelly

Definitely not what I'd pick. As said many times I'd prefer to see a mixture of experience and youth from game to game rather than 'first XV' and 'lambs to the slaughter'. Jennings and Forsyth signing to play makes me worried that we will see almost none of the 23 that have been lined up for Saints and Castres risked against Wasps.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

here we go again with the cheap digs at the selection policy.. I don't understand the need to keep going round the buoy with this one? The coaches are trying to steer the ship in the right direction in a way they best see fit. It's all about Europe and next season surely? We won't be relegated this season so apart from regaining a little dignity by beating what will probably be a second string Wasps team who really cares in the grand scheme of things? Beating Castres and preparing for next season is a different matter all together