Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by jgriffin »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:54 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:54 pm Normally I'd agree re the bonus point, but in the current situation a bonus point is meaningless. It was worth going for the win.
This
This + 1
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

We look like nearly men.
Ford didn't kick well out of hand today. Ben Youngs same old. Lavanini trying too hard.Last seasons knock ons.
Sold continually off side. Then we get near to a decent result to let them off the hook.
With constant changes we look like were not reading from the same book or singing from the same hymn sheet.
Question - do we need to nail down our starting XV and give them game time to read each other?
or
Do we continue as nearly men for another season?
I think SB and the coaches must have an idea who our 1st XV may be ( arrivals before 20/21) and who our 2nd XV may be.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Every poster said beforehand what an awesome side Sale had picked. Most said we'd lose by at least 10 and likely more. And most are clear this won't be our strongest team next season, but it will be Sale's.

We lose by single figures, and apparently it is a disaster. Blah blah blah. V little perspective by most posters.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:03 pm Thanks for all the negative posts guys, still looking forward to the humble pie :smt001
Sorry Grumpy but how can we not be negative when we witness so many poor decisions from our team, poor handling, throwing ball anywhere and for internationals, persistently kicking back to Faf, we need to learn, yes we will, but this performance today was so so frustrating. Some played very well but I bet they are gutted to lose that point.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Goshengareth wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:09 pm Every poster said beforehand what an awesome side Sale had picked. Most said we'd lose by at least 10 and likely more. And most are clear this won't be our strongest team next season, but it will be Sale's.

We lose by single figures, and apparently it is a disaster. Blah blah blah. V little perspective by most posters.
But it could have been even closer if we had cut out the stupid mistakes, that's whats so frustrating for me.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:49 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Waiting for the
6. Brink
7. Taufua
8. Liebenberg
Me too
Certainly wouldn't be light in the carrying department
Don’t think Taufua has the discipline to play openside, for me he’s only a 6 or 8. Think Liebenberg was our best backrower today from 8. Think Brink could fight his way into the starting XV too, hopefully competition will bring the best from the players.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Better game management required and, yes, the bonus point would have been helpful particularly as European qualification now goes down to 8th place. Second half much better again. So perhaps the team talk should be "Stop panicking, and it's half time"
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Goshengareth wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:09 pm Every poster said beforehand what an awesome side Sale had picked. Most said we'd lose by at least 10 and likely more. And most are clear this won't be our strongest team next season, but it will be Sale's.

Was about to say exactly the same.. 2nd vs. 11th, Sale at full strength and we take them to the final minute. Lots of new faces to come in too
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:05 pm Blew to much possession in their danger zone through basic handling errors and poor decision making. KIcking the ball away continues to hurt us but still persist with it. We are blunt in attack. That said we did give 100% effort and never gave up the chase.
Or simply their defence was excellent and blunted our attack.

We had to keep kicking the ball away because most of the time we were scrambling inside our own 22. That’s the main issue for me. We don’t necessarily need to dominate possession (teams can win games with very little) we just need to dominate more when we are IN possession.

I’m still optimistic we’re moving (slowly) in the right direction. Probably as optimistic as the add agency tasked with producing the ad I’ve just watched for a Corona Extra...
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:26 pm ...the bonus point would have been helpful particularly as European qualification now goes down to 8th.
Erm.....and what do you thing we could achieve in the main European competition next year? Too soon for us.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Porter should be given the start over Taute.
Taute might be a decent 12 for the midweeks add a bit of experience but just don't feel he's a prem 13 anymore.

Would like to see v Saints
1. Leatigaga, 2. Youngs, 3. Cole
4. Lavanini, 5. Wells
6. Taufua, 7. Reffell, 8. Liebenberg
9. Youngs, 10. Ford
12. Scott, 13. Porter
11. Potter, 14. Nadolo, 15. Steward

I do feel that once Brink, Wiese, Moroni, Van Wyk and Murimurivalu things like the attack will start to come together. Really hope Montoya is a done deal.
The lineout had a bad day, but a bad day by currently standards feels like it prob would've counted as a good day pre restart lol.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm Porter should be given the start over Taute.
Taute might be a decent 12 for the midweeks add a bit of experience but just don't feel he's a prem 13 anymore.
Sadly, I very much agree with this.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

The constant sniping at each and every referee on here is nothing short of embarrassing and reveals a complete ignorance of the game.
A significant element of why we lost today had nothing to do with Ian Tempest. Rather, it was because Youngs and Ford, after almost turning around the game at Gloucester, both had an absolute mare.
There will be a stat somewhere showing how many times they kicked away possession, too long for our chasers to contest, inviting the Sale backfield to attack, putting us under pressure and hence the penalty count.
Let’s be honest and not blame others. We weren’t at our best but there were plenty of positive individual moments to pick out. Saints have nothing like the physicality of this Sale team and I’m hopeful we’ll win next week.
Today’s players will form the core of next season’s team so we need to give them time to gel, especially in attack. Let’s not put all our hopes on the players soon to arrive. Moroni and Muri should be great signings. I’ve never seen Brink or Wiese play so I don’t have an opinion on them. There’s been much hype on here about Van Wyk but I’m not sure why.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I may be blinkered but all I see are positives in the context that while Sale are a very good powerful team and title contender with a complete game (Their FH is wonderful to watch), we are only a few games into recovery from a 5 year Malaise . SB is building the game from ground up (Quite literally the bottom of the league) and key players that are going to put us in an even better position have just arrived or haven’t yet arrived. If your the sort of person who wants to blame someone it may be worth aiming it at those who are no longer with us. MOC is a good start but he’s not the only one.

In this context, it’s pretty obvious in these first few games what SB and the coaches have instilled so far. Technically a better defence and set piece, particularly the line out. Physically better strength and conditioning. We clearly haven’t yet got to the stage of fancy attack combinations yet but we will. In golf terms we’re not yet playing with a full set of clubs while we rebuild our swing. But with each game we are adding a club and hitting the ball straight more consistently. No fancy shots yet.

More importantly, what I am seeing as a fan is a new (some would say a return to a previous) culture of grittyness, determination and hardness, and a squad where everyone from veteran to youngster wants to put their hand up. Sale may have beaten us because they are in a different place, but we once again never dropped our heads, dug in and fought back through old fashion hard work, and once more had more physical endurance at the end. Sale’s forwards will know they’ve been in a battle. As with Glaws we could have even won it - add on the fancy bits and the players having more time together and I only see this being the case. I call it one thing that’s been lacking - leadership.

Am I an over optimistic fan? Probably, but that’s my view. Bring it on.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:43 pm The constant sniping at each and every referee on here is nothing short of embarrassing and reveals a complete ignorance of the game.
I think this is a bit harsh. All people want, imho is consistency. High tackles, sealing off, blocking lines, offside.. every referee has a subtly different interpretation of the laws but seeing one side getting away with offense after offense just gets frustrating. Consistency and parity is all I ask!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!