Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:34 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:10 pm Being 6”8 probably helps the refs spot him too...
We all wanted a hard edge Jono style lock. An enforcer, we have one and I am looking forward to seeing him tearing it up.
I don't know why people keep on about "an enforcer". Certainly, there were such (I suspect SB's nose wasn't always that shape) but nowadays a red card would instantly ensue. Perhaps our younger viewers have a different idea of what enforcement meant.
You're right, I think Victor Matlock and his buddy whose name escapes me were the last of the 2nd row enforcers. You can't get away with it these days. What you need now are smart locks who know how to play the ref and the opposition.
Botha ans Matlock were far more than 'enforcers' if that is code for being thugs. Matlock in particular was a superb line out operator in the Borthwick line out nerd role, Botha more than competent. Both were fine scrummagers and could carry, tackle and had huge engines. In short both were world class locks.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Do you mean Victor Matfield?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:46 am
Duncan B wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm I really think Lavanini has been quite poor. Agree Steward deserves the start at 15.
Did you see Lavanini against Glouscester? I thought previous to that match that he didn't appear to want to be at Tigers, however his performance against Glouscester really changed my mind
He mentioned in his post match interview that he was trying to build on each week's performance and improve. I don't think he ever didn't want to be here, he accepted the amended contract without complaint after all. He just needs to play himself into form, some players need more pre season than others. I also thought he played well Vs Glaws and he has been given a fairly thankless task securing the set piece of the younger development side.

I'd like to see Lavanini given a go with the first team pack to get a better idea of where he is. Drop Green into the Wasps game to back up the younger lads. I'd very much like us to target the Saints game as a must win. Raise morale ahead of Europe.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

This was the team picked for LI:

15 Freddie Steward

14 David Williams

13 Jaco Taute

12 Matt Scott

11 Nemani Nadolo

10 George Ford (vc)

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole

4 Harry Wells

5 Calum Green

6 Hanro Liebenberg

7 Tommy Reffell

8 Jordan Taufua

Replacements

16 Charlie Clare

17 Nephi Leatigaga

18 Joe Heyes

19 George Martin

20 Luke Wallace

21 Ben White

22 Zack Henry

23 Jordan Olowofela

If hours played permit I would like to see Henry start at 15 with Steward on the bench and have Potter on the bench in lieu of Olowofela who I though had a poor game at the weekend.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 am Do you mean Victor Matfield?
I did - Bertie Matfield.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Noggs wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:24 pm This was the team picked for LI:

15 Freddie Steward

14 David Williams

13 Jaco Taute

12 Matt Scott

11 Nemani Nadolo

10 George Ford (vc)

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole

4 Harry Wells

5 Calum Green

6 Hanro Liebenberg

7 Tommy Reffell

8 Jordan Taufua

Replacements

16 Charlie Clare

17 Nephi Leatigaga

18 Joe Heyes

19 George Martin

20 Luke Wallace

21 Ben White

22 Zack Henry

23 Jordan Olowofela

If hours played permit I would like to see Henry start at 15 with Steward on the bench and have Potter on the bench in lieu of Olowofela who I though had a poor game at the weekend.
Henry is a 10 who can play 15, defensively looks suspect, square pegs in the square holes.
No word on Wells & Martin so who knows how they are.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Martin has got a nasty knee injury apparently. Wells going through return to play protocols and may be involved
Less is more....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bummer about Martin...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:50 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:47 pm Having a second distributor at 12 might open up our attacking game more and Scott at 13 seems the best option in shutting down Manu. I'm a firm believer in getting our best players on the pitch and when seeing if the Ford/Henry partnership works (also a right/left foot kicking combination), there's not much game time left to try it before Castres. If we don't try it against Sale, it only really leaves the Saints game.
Manu has been playing at 12 for Sale
So far Manu has still not scored a try for Sale so let's keep it that way this weekend.
According to the Sale statistics he has made 5 appearances and had 397 minutes on the pitch, with these news regulations could he be ineligible for this weekends game? He was rested for the Wasps game.
Source ~ https://www.premiershiprugby.com/player ... &TeamId=12
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Don’t the regulations refer to the 3 game weeks?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Old players have this unerring habit of coming back to haunt you .... really do hope not come this Saturday...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

We need to test against the best. I hope he is playing.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

In Louis Deacon, we had one of the best "enforcer" locks in the game, you never saw what he got up to, but the opposition knew he was there, Flats said he was known as "silent but violent" in the England camp.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I'm looking forward to this game. SB has now seen the whole squad under match conditions and will have identified those who have put their hand especially when things weren't going well. I am expecting a competitive team.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 am In Louis Deacon, we had one of the best "enforcer" locks in the game, you never saw what he got up to, but the opposition knew he was there, Flats said he was known as "silent but violent" in the England camp.
A hugely underrated player by many, was always judged against the bloke before him in the No.4 Shirt, hardly fair.
We really have missed that sort of 2nd row, that's what Tomas was signed to be.
To win is not as important as playing with style!