Best Tigers lineup (Since the Restart)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Best Tigers lineup (Since the Restart)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

There's a lot of chat about our split of teams in selection.

Now we've had a few games to look at them here's how I would pick a first team based only on those who have been fit and ready

15. Steward
14. Potter
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Nadolo
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Leatigaga
4. Lavanini
5. Wells
6. Reffell
7. Wallace
8. Taufua

16. Kerr
17. Gigena
18. Cole
19. Green
20. Liebenberg
21. Martin
22. White
23. Henry

There's also quite a few others that have impressed and feel they are unlucky to not make my matchday squad...

Very open to see others views on who's played best where, and what they would say is the current first XV from the past 4 games?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Best Tigers lineup (Since the Restart)

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Not going to be hugely different to that, looks good to me.. I'd go:

15. Steward
14. Nadolo
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

16. Kerr
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Green
20. Wallace
21. Martin
22. White
23. Henry

While I think Wallace has probably played slightly better than Liebenberg since the restart, I'm a big fan of this back 3 so that gets my vote.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:56 pm Not going to be hugely different to that, looks good to me.. I'd go:

15. Steward
14. Nadolo
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

16. Kerr
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Green
20. Wallace
21. Martin
22. White
23. Henry

While I think Wallace has probably played slightly better than Liebenberg since the restart, I'm a big fan of this back 3 so that gets my vote.
I really struggled seperating our back row (main reason I went for 6-2 split on subs)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:58 pmI really struggled seperating our back row

What a wonderful thing to read - nice that our options are finally creating selection headaches again :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:56 pm Not going to be hugely different to that, looks good to me.. I'd go:

15. Steward
14. Nadolo
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

16. Kerr
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Green
20. Wallace
21. Martin
22. White
23. Henry

Pretty much what you’ve got except....Clare on the bench, I’ve been impressed with him. Green with Lavanini is the best combination in the line out. Find it hard to leave Henry out, he’s been superb.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

15. Steward
14. Nadolo
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

16. Kerr
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Green
20. Wallace
21. Martin
22. White
23. Henry

Close to my choice but I would switch Green and Wells for the line out and then Steward and Henry as well. Although Henry didn’t have a great game at 15 against Bath he looked good when moved there today and I think if you’re playing Scott and Porter in the centres you want a playmaker at 15.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

If I had a must win tomorrow, on current form I’d go with:

Genge Youngs Leatigaga
Wells Green
Leibenberg Taufua Reffell
Youngs Ford
Scott Taute
Nadolo Steward Potter

Kerr Gigena Cole Lavanini Martin Wallace White Henry

Seems harsh on Wallace and Henry, both deserve to be in the starting XV, but that’s the competition we have for places. Henderson too ideally should have a place on the bench, great young player. Feel though Wells and Green are the form second row partnership at the moment, same with the backrow combination.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

This is a good team! I think that Cole has been better than Genge, so I would have Nephi at LHP (although not sure Heyes has been brilliant). I also think Clare has been better than Kerr, and personally that Liebenberg has been better than Taufua. Taufua is a brilliant player but he still gives away too many penalties, I'd have him off the bench.

A few players unlucky to miss out, including Simmons, T Smith, Green, and Henderson.

15. Henry
14. Potter
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Nadolo
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Leatigaga
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Wells
6. Reffell
7. Wallace
8. Liebenberg

16. Clare
17. Genge
18. Heyes
19. Martin
20. Taufua
21. White
22. Steward
23. Williams
Never believe generalisations
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

BG01 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:56 pm This is a good team! I think that Cole has been better than Genge, so I would have Nephi at LHP (although not sure Heyes has been brilliant). I also think Clare has been better than Kerr, and personally that Liebenberg has been better than Taufua. Taufua is a brilliant player but he still gives away too many penalties, I'd have him off the bench.

A few players unlucky to miss out, including Simmons, T Smith, Green, and Henderson.

15. Henry
14. Potter
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Nadolo
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Leatigaga
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Wells
6. Reffell
7. Wallace
8. Liebenberg

16. Clare
17. Genge
18. Heyes
19. Martin
20. Taufua
21. White
22. Steward
23. Williams
Taufua off the bench?! Wow!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Well, it almost worked against Glaws!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Yep loving what I see. And then there are other arrivals at the end of the season. OMG you can hear the panic setting in.

With the teams selected(as above) is it not possible to bed in for a couple of games to build for Castre and maybee gain the points needed to raise us above Worc.Whilst still learning.?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:06 am Yep loving what I see. And then there are other arrivals at the end of the season. OMG you can hear the panic setting in.

With the teams selected(as above) is it not possible to bed in for a couple of games to build for Castre and maybee gain the points needed to raise us above Worc.Whilst still learning.?
I'm hoping that we'll play the stronger teams on the weekends against Sale and Saints with the second XV playing against Wasps. A win over Saints, whose post Covid form looks very iffy, would definitely be good for us fans. Get the bragging rights back a bit. Build towards Europe.

I'd got for a 23 of

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Green
6. Liebenburg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Taute
14. Potter
15. Steward

Bench - Kerr, Leatigaga, Heyes, Martin, Wallace, White, Henry, Porter

I'd expect Murimurivalu and Gigena to force their way into the thinking over the next couple of weeks though. Good to see Gigena back in action yesterday.

Taute has been criticised a bit on here but has defended the 13 channel well and if he can just improve his discipline will be an asset as back up to Moroni next season. I think we saw the future at centre for us yesterday as well with young Dan Kelly slotting in well with a huge step up from Loughborough University to away game Vs Glaws in the Prem. Might just take Kelly a season or two to develop a bit.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Lots of youngsters and new signings have advanced their cases and really impressed since the restart IMO.

Most notably:

Wallace, Martin, Leatigaga, Potter, Porter, Henry, Reffell and Steward

Nadolo and Scott obviously have lots to offer and are high quality additions.

I’m also keen to see more from:

Henderson, Chessum, Smith, Williams, Simmons and Hardwick (he certainly shouldn’t have been the one dragged off for Ford...)

For me a few players need to up their games in order to stay a part of the improving squad, I don’t like to chastise players publicly and it’s fairly apparent who those players are...

And all that’s before the likes of Murimurivalu arrive. Whilst three losses out of four shouldn’t be praised I certainly think there are reasons to be positive and, from my armchair at least, it’s becoming apparent who Borthwick will be keeping involved with the squad and who isn’t quite at the required level.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would say my current first team is basically same as most others
I would have Williams on the bench at 23 though
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BG01 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:56 pm This is a good team! I think that Cole has been better than Genge, so I would have Nephi at LHP (although not sure Heyes has been brilliant). I also think Clare has been better than Kerr, and personally that Liebenberg has been better than Taufua. Taufua is a brilliant player but he still gives away too many penalties, I'd have him off the bench.

15. Henry
14. Potter
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Nadolo
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Leatigaga
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Lavanini
5. Wells
6. Reffell
7. Wallace
8. Liebenberg

16. Clare
17. Genge
18. Heyes
19. Martin
20. Taufua
21. White
22. Steward
23. Williams
Really sorry I would have to disagree for me, Taufua would be the first name on the team sheet, not just for his outstanding play but for his obvious leadership and the way he gees up the rest of the team especially the youngsters
God created rugby so footballers have heros too