Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Some positives, sadly no points but almost a gutsy comeback from 36-6 down today away to Glos. So next week looks like this:

Sat 05 Sep - Sale (H)
Wed 09 Sep - Wasps (A)
Sun 13 Sep - Saints (H)

then it's time for the big one..

Sun 20 Sep - Castres (H)

Clearly SB will want a fully fit first choice match-day squad for Castres so perhaps we might see a strong team against Sale, rotation team away to Wasps then a final chance to look at the starting XV for the derby match at home to Saints. That would set us up nicely with a weeks rest before the European Cup QF.

So I am going to open the bidding, for what it's worth with my thoughts on our team for Sale. I think the team vs. Sale might be close to a first XV which might then be used again a week later against Saints and the following week against Castres with a development 15 for the midweek game away to Wasps.

So something like this against Sale:

15. Steward
14. Nadolo
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Ford
9. Youngs

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

Replacements: Mamu, Gigena, Leatigaga, Lavanini, Wallace, White, Henry, Worth

Hopeful that we might see Van Wyk and Murimurivalu in Tigers soon but not sure about the latest on their availability. Not expecting Brink, Wiese and Moroni until next season.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by Duncan B »

I really think Lavanini has been quite poor. Agree Steward deserves the start at 15.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Duncan B wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm I really think Lavanini has been quite poor. Agree Steward deserves the start at 15.
I reckon he deserves a chance to prove this afternoon wasn't a one off and he's just taken a little longer than you'd like to bed in...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Surely Zac Henry has to be in the squad : his attitude has been commendable and he has that spark about him that will compliment Ford’s attacking play.
I think he deserves to play in a strong team.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

1 Genge
2 Youngs
3 Cole
4 Lavanini
5 Green
6 Liebenberg
7 Reffell
8 Taufua
9 Youngs
10 Ford
11 Nadolo
12 Scott
13 Porter
14 Potter
15 Steward
16 Mamukashvili
17 Gigena
18 Heyes (Leatigaga deserves a rest)
19 Henderson
20 Smith
21 White
22 Henry
23 Taute
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

15 Steward
14 Potter
13 Porter
12 Scott
11 Nadolo
10 Ford
9 Simmons
8 Taufua
7 Reffel
6 Chessum
5 Henderson
4 Lavanini
3 Leaitigaga
2 Kerr
1 Gigena

16 Mamakusvili
17 Bowser
18 Heyes
19 Green
20 Coughlan
21 White
22 McPhillips
23 Kelly
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Yep agree available Fist XV (ish) for Sale. Saints and Castre. Rotate for the Pests.
Then I believe that with the new additions we will be in a better position for 20/21.

Sorry SB ..........do your thing.....
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

It would be good to see Sam Lewis get a run out. I've already posted in the Squad new hope thread that I was really impressed with Lewis at the start of the season but feel he might not be getting game time due to him being slighter than the other back rows. That would be such a shame as he brings speed to the game. But I suppose Borthwick knows what he's doing. Would love to see Lewis at 6 and Reffell at 7 in a match to see how that combination works. Fear he may leave if he can't get games.

Other than that I agree with the selections suggested - we need another win and points!!! :smt041
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

More than ever, this particular game depends on which two sets of teams are selected and/or turn up..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Crofty wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:09 pm
Duncan B wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm I really think Lavanini has been quite poor. Agree Steward deserves the start at 15.
I reckon he deserves a chance to prove this afternoon wasn't a one off and he's just taken a little longer than you'd like to bed in...
I think there's been a few players across the league, seemingly most at Saints, that have had issues adapting to first team games following the lay off and no real pre season. Lavanini played well against Glaws and was excellent pre lockdown. With the firstborn at home and family a long way away it might have been quite a challenge finding a new normal which won't have helped his form. If he can build in the form Vs Glaws then we'll all be very happy with him once again. I would like to see him in a stronger team as at the minute he's being used to hold up the rotation squad in the set piece which is a tough ask and pretty much a thankless task.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:08 am
Crofty wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:09 pm
I think there's been a few players across the league, seemingly most at Saints, that have had issues adapting to first team games following the lay off and no real pre season. Lavanini played well against Glaws and was excellent pre lockdown. With the firstborn at home and family a long way away it might have been quite a challenge finding a new normal which won't have helped his form. If he can build in the form Vs Glaws then we'll all be very happy with him once again. I would like to see him in a stronger team as at the minute he's being used to hold up the rotation squad in the set piece which is a tough ask and pretty much a thankless task.
I think Lavanini did play very well against Glaws and agree that he has been given a very tough task of holding up the rotated squad and under the circumstances I do not understand why he has been given so much stick as frankly for me he is currently our best lock.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I would go Genge, Youngs, Cole, Wells, Green, Liebenberg , Taufua, Reffell, Youngs Ford Nemani, Henry, Scott, Potter, Steward. Gigena, Clare, Leatigiga, Lavanini, Wallace, White, Potter, Porter.
A2O
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Agree with the principle of strong team against Sale/Saints in prep for the Castres games. My strong team would be something like
Strongest Squad
15. Steward
14. Nadolo
13. Porter/Taute
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Ford
9. Youngs

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

Mamukashvili
Gigena
Leatigaga
Lavanini
Wallace
White
Henry
Porter/Taute
Hehehehehehehehe
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:30 am Agree with the principle of strong team against Sale/Saints in prep for the Castres games. My strong team would be something like
Strongest Squad
15. Steward
14. Nadolo
13. Porter/Taute
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Ford
9. Youngs

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

Mamukashvili
Gigena
Leatigaga
Lavanini
Wallace
White
Henry
Porter/Taute
No Henry ?
A2O
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:12 am Yep agree available Fist XV (ish) for Sale. Saints and Castre. Rotate for the Pests.
Then I believe that with the new additions we will be in a better position for 20/21.

Sorry SB ..........do your thing.....
As long as we avoid the red and yellow cards!
Semper in excretia