Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Post by Ian Cant »

Was really worried we would lose by 50+ today. The first half showed the coaches that:
A) Zac Henry has to be in the squad as he never gives up and has feet to match the departed TV. Potter too looked feisty and at last supported a line break (by Henry) to score. Some backs had poor games and will really have to perform much better if they want to play for Tigers or any team.
B) The youngsters in the pack certainly put in a gift and at last Lavanini showed the form we want from. Tafau was immense. Youngs kicking and distribution when given decent ball was excellent.
Proud of the comeback.
Now we need to beat Sale and Saints.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Think SB has learned a fair bit about his squad
Clare has impressed and seemingly overtaken j.kerr Tom Young’s has given everything as usual props are pretty strong ,second rows have done well , especially the youngsters and wells, Reffell and Taufua have been going well , coughlan offers little apart from effort, wiese and brink to come in .scrum half pretty strong Poortvliet seemingly overtaken Simmons . Ford is the main man not convinced by his deputies. Olowofela hardwick and worth still have much to prove , potter has gone well Taute hasn’t convinced but steady Scott has been solid . Montoya possibly coming in along with Moroni, wiese brink Murimurivalu van wyk really strengthens the back line and it needs it ! I think as the weeks are are passing Steve’s giving them all a chance and will cut the wheat from the chaff and fill the gaps in the coming seasons
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I think the coaching squad should get some credit for identifying what was not working and changing things immediately and not waiting till half time.

Would not be surprised if some players don't appear in the first team again.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

3 first team players come on and Gloucester fold. We had the better of the forward exchanges, even in the first half. How many times do we have to roll out the reasons ? We’re playing a lot of games in not many weeks. We’re targeting the Castres game. That’s why we’re not playing a mix of players. We’re not going down. We’d all love to win every game but with new coaches and players it’s hard, given we don’t know combinations or who has got what it takes. Yes we lost to the 8th placed team but let’s be honest, they fell apart when we brought 3 players on. They won’t be happy with the way that happened. Hats off to Lavanini, massive shift from him again. Very encouraging. Interesting to see Taufua in the huddle afterwards. Clearly a key leader.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Taufua was immense at 8, suddenly gave us the power to smash over the gainline. Would love to see him and Brink in the same backrow.

Henderson too, have seen more quality from him than Enever who has an Aussie cap. Him and Martin could be a future pairing for years to come.

I am interested to see what happens on the wing. Potter has impressed. Williams has played well against London Irish, but is only on loan and we still have SAR to regain fitness. Browning is waiting in the wings so could see some movement before next season starts.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:15 pm If I’m Hardwick I’m fuming at being dragged there when Olowofela stayed on
I totally agree Olowofela has let 3 in and does not even chase the scorer, just ambles back.
Hardwick should have been left on the wing. Ugh!
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:36 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:15 pm If I’m Hardwick I’m fuming at being dragged there when Olowofela stayed on
I totally agree Olowofela has let 3 in and does not even chase the scorer, just ambles back.
Hardwick should have been left on the wing. Ugh!
could have done what we ended up doing Potter LW, Worth RW Henry FB
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:15 pm Taufua was immense at 8, suddenly gave us the power to smash over the gainline. Would love to see him and Brink in the same backrow.
Add Jasper Wiese into the future mix, not forgetting Liebenberg, and we have some possible potent back row ball carrying permutations, who also seem very capable of gently tickling a ball carrier coming towards them.

And then there's Reffell, not the biggest ball carrier but pretty handy at the breakdown that his partners can feed off.

Plus, Gengey, Leatigaga, Lavanini for ball carrying AND our promising looking back row youngsters coming through also. It's not all bad, as long as it all comes together :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Potter is the best of all those wingers mentioned.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I have thought that Genge looked decidedly average so far, does he have an attitude problem?
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm I have thought that Genge looked decidedly average so far, does he have an attitude problem?
I’d like to see you pose that question to the man himself.....no? Didn’t think so!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Blast!

Recording failed..... Or the problem lay between the remote and the seat!

It looked as though we put in a performance after a few defensive lapses..

Posh Richard is after his pint(s) as usual.... But I hope there is hope that next year I might get them back!

I read your comments with interest.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm I have thought that Genge looked decidedly average so far, does he have an attitude problem?
I think he's been playing pretty well. Not at his best but some players need a run of games to hit their best form. We've seen that a bit with Lavanini. Remember there's been a long period of no rugby and no contact training and then there was no warm up games. Hopefully we'll see him tear into Sale next weekend and Saints the weekend after that so he's really hitting the his straps ahead of the European game Vs Castres.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:13 pm
I think he's been playing pretty well. Not at his best but some players need a run of games to hit their best form. We've seen that a bit with Lavanini. Remember there's been a long period of no rugby and no contact training and then there was no warm up games. Hopefully we'll see him tear into Sale next weekend and Saints the weekend after that so he's really hitting the his straps ahead of the European game Vs Castres.
I really hope so, trust it was rust and he shows more in the next few games when picked. By the way I would not like to say to him he has an attitude problem, but please show a more positive face when playing. You can look mean and moody but dont look like he did in his last match, I just think he is a great player who needed to switch on.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Easy for me......would I rather be a Gloucester supporter or a Tigers supporter at this moment in time???

Gloucester
Just seen my first team almost turned over by a team of youngsters bolstered by a few experienced internationals who have only played 4 games under a completely new coaching regime. New coach but with very few changes to a squad that haven’t troubled the scorer for years.

Leicester
Four games under a new coaching set up who will now be developing a clear idea of the capabilities of all the players in the squad, not only on, but off the pitch. Positive signs of young players stepping up the the mark, experienced, senior players excited by taking responsibility and encouraging the youngsters. A number of high quality players still to arrive. A huge amount of potential to be realised from individual, combinations and team performances. Identification of those players who may not reach the required standard.

No brainer???

Of course in a years time there is a chance that none of the Leicester optimism will have come to fruition, but let’s enjoy the fascination and excitement of the journey and see where we are at the end of next season.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.