London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish

Post by mol2 »

I would say the only disappointment was again Taute who looks far too slow to play in the Premiership.

With the rub of the green it could have been a bonus point win.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:23 am Matt Scott 17 tackles 0 missed.
When was the last time we had a centre pull in that kind of defensive shift? Allen?

Shame he only got the ball 9 times in attack.
Quite impressive isn't he.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Murphy said on Radio Leicester post match that Martin "took a wack to the knee" so doesn't sound overly serious

Lavanini and Enever/Green together in the row on Saturday with the other on the bench you would assume
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

mol2 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 pm I would say the only disappointment was again Taute who looks far too slow to play in the Premiership.
Agreed. He's looked some way off the pace since he joined. With Scott looking very solid defensively at 12 we could do with a bit more twinkle in the boots at 13. Come on in, Moroni. And leave the door open for Huw Jones.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

mol2 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 pm I would say the only disappointment was again Taute who looks far too slow to play in the Premiership.

With the rub of the green it could have been a bonus point win.
I agree that Taute’s pace gets exposed in the 13 channel (would like to see Porter get a game there outside Scott) but don’t think he is too slow to play in prem.

I think he could do a decent job for us at 12 it’s just that Scott is similar but all round better player.

If Van Wyk gets here before season ends wouldn’t be surprised to see him played at 13 in the ‘1st XV’. Bonus with him compared to other arrivals is that he won’t be far off match fitness.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

He lacks a bit of pace, but Taute’s very busy around the pitch. Thought (bar that pass) he had a reasonable game last night, certainly defensively.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I thought Taute was OK against Chiefs then fairly anonymous last night. A player who is usually good at sticking to structures and executing the basics will naturally struggle in a back line that currently has no structure and hasn't often executed basics though.

I still think Taute can be a valuable squad member. I'm glad that Moroni, van Wyk and Porter have all joined to offer depth at 13 though as that will hopefully mean Taute might play 12 more where I think his strength will be better suited these days.

Overall I'm happy with the changes in our centre options. Scott is an excellent addition, big upgrade on Eastmond or Reid. Moroni is a very good player still to join. Porter seems a talent at outside centre. Then van Wyk is a powerful wing who can cover outside centre.

I like the move to more power on the wing and guile in the centre. Nadolo, van Wyk and Murimurivalu are all powerful runners. I think that suits our strong half-backs who need wingers who will look for work.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Wasnt Taute playing 12 at Munster before he came to us? The knee injuries have definitely taken his pace, he was a genuine exciting 15 when he started in SA.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm Wasnt Taute playing 12 at Munster before he came to us? The knee injuries have definitely taken his pace, he was a genuine exciting 15 when he started in SA.
Largely played 12 in his latter two seasons after recovering from the knee injury.

In his first season he started all their European games at 13 although he did make 4 starts at 12 in the Pro 14, with his other Pro 14 appearances coming at 13 and one start at 15.

Following his knee injuries he played 12 much more for Munster and I think it's now his best position.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Taute is a very solid player and can be like having an extra flanker with some of the hits and breakdown work he puts in, I agree with others though that he is probably better served as a 12 rather than 13.

As for Scott he really impressed me last night, his work in defence is the best we've seen in the centres since Allen retired, especially in broken play where I noticed him cut off a few potentially potent counter attacks against both Chiefs and Irish that in seasons gone by would have probably resulted in tries conceded.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Taute reminds me of latter day Matt Smith in the centres, nothing spectacular but a good pro who makes his tackles and rarely lets you down
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

Agree with most. Taute is a 12 nowadays and a solid squad player.

You'd hope that Moroni ties down the 13 Jersey with Scott at 12. That could be a fantastic partnership.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Performances are always open to personal interpretation.Having now watched the game I believe there is nothing to be down heartened with.You build from the base up , and to me there is obviously more to come.Still though we noticeably need to retain possession ; patience is vital - in every respect ..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:57 pm Taute reminds me of latter day Matt Smith in the centres, nothing spectacular but a good pro who makes his tackles and rarely lets you down
Perhaps, but Smith had seious gas in his earlier years. Always felt he played his best on the wing although perhaps not in his latter years as his pace dipped.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:46 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:57 pm Taute reminds me of latter day Matt Smith in the centres, nothing spectacular but a good pro who makes his tackles and rarely lets you down
Perhaps, but Smith had seious gas in his earlier years. Always felt he played his best on the wing although perhaps not in his latter years as his pace dipped.
There's got to be some comment to be made about the r's exiting from serious gas.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game