Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Unfortunately with the midweek games there is always going to be rotation, not the clubs fault. Could argue that we’ve been unlucky in that every team have been putting out their first XV against us.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:47 pm Unfortunately with the midweek games there is always going to be rotation, not the clubs fault. Could argue that we’ve been unlucky in that every team have been putting out their first XV against us.
Would be interesting to look at other teams rotation.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Honestly - I don't give a rats.... if others are fielding their strongest team.
Two ways of looking at it 1) they are showing our developing team/squad respect. 2) They are going for max points.

We are developing - they have evolved and risk getting first team players injured prior to 20/21.
I know which camp I'm in. Equally whats the use developing against 2nd/3rd string teams.
Yes I see a home W -but at this stage I'd take another incremental improvement, and who knows. Bet SB is looking for a close game. If we keep J May quiet its a bonus.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:32 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:07 pm 15 George Worth (vc)

14 Harry Potter

13 Guy Porter

12 Tom Hardwick

11 Jordan Olowofela

10 Zack Henry

9 Jack Van Poortvliet

1 Ryan Bower

2 Charlie Clare

3 Joe Heyes

4 Tomás Lavanini

5 Blake Enever (vc)

6 Ollie Chessum

7 Thom Smith (c)

8 Jordan Coghlan

Replacements

16 Jake Kerr

17 Facundo Gigena

18 Nephi Leatigaga

19 Cameron Henderson

20 Jordan Taufua

21 Ben Youngs

22 George Ford

23 Dan Kelly
Why are we having 2 internationals Tomás Lavanini & Blake Enever staying with is arguably a second team and not seeing them get a run with the first team?
Maybe to ensure there is a blend of experienced players with younger players with limited experience.

I applaud this selection and wish them well. It'll surely be uphill but I tell you for nowt that they will not be lacking for effort.
Last edited by Robespierre on Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper in excretia
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Congratulations Thom Smith. Must be the youngest ever Tigers captain. After Ben White being captain last week our young players are carrying the Tigers DNA forward.
I'm not cynical just experienced
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'm not particularly clued up on our development squad so it's cool to get a look at some of the future stars in a competitive fixture. The result is unfortunately a bit of a foregone conclusion but still I'm sure they'll try their best.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

This is an ideal opportunity for young players to gain experience (hopefully amongst some seasoned professionals), stake a claim and afford the coaches a chance to see them in match action. More and more it feels like somebody knows what they are doing and there is a plan.
I'm not cynical just experienced
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Austin is pretty scathing about Leicester in todays Telegraph. His opinion on Borthwicks method of sacrificing games is worth reading. We are the only team not playing any Rugby... and he is 100% correct.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

I feel a little sorry for the half backs who are going to be dealing with slow ball and working off the back foot, difficult to get any rythem or make an impression.

That said, this is a necessity and allows us to see which players look capable of playing roles, especially when the internationals are gone.

If the set pieces continue to impress, the defensive workrate and line speed is maintained and we at least see some attempt to move ball through hands then I'll be happy enough.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Clare deserves a start, been playing well off the bench. Be a good game to give our depth in squad some game time despite Healey's click baiting opinion. Building for the future.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

fortysix wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:42 pm Austin is pretty scathing about Leicester in todays Telegraph. His opinion on Borthwicks method of sacrificing games is worth reading. We are the only team not playing any Rugby... and he is 100% correct.
Austin was a great player but how many teams to how many trophies has he coached?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

fortysix wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:42 pm Austin is pretty scathing about Leicester in todays Telegraph. His opinion on Borthwicks method of sacrificing games is worth reading. We are the only team not playing any Rugby... and he is 100% correct.

This domestic season is a dead rubber for us. Nothing to play for in terms of points on the board.

Borthwick and the coaching team have gone back to basics and seemingly want to get set pieces and to defensive positioning/attitude ingrained throughout the squad. They also likely want to see who has the correct attitude moving forward.

This is much more important to get right than tiring out our big names and flinging the ball around in an effort to entertain fans who aren't even in the stadium.

We also have to remember we are down many more players than other teams as we await many of our better attacking threats to link up with the squad.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Austin never says a good word about Tigers and is a sad little man :smt016
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TheTigerKing wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:51 pm

This domestic season is a dead rubber for us. Nothing to play for in terms of points on the board.

Borthwick and the coaching team have gone back to basics and seemingly want to get set pieces and to defensive positioning/attitude ingrained throughout the squad. They also likely want to see who has the correct attitude moving forward.

This is much more important to get right than tiring out our big names and flinging the ball around in an effort to entertain fans who aren't even in the stadium.

We also have to remember we are down many more players than other teams as we await many of our better attacking threats to link up with the squad.
100% which people seem to forget. In many way the results don’t matter, what matters is the performance improving and young players getting invaluable premiership exposure. No doubt the likes of Reffell, Martin, Steward etc will gain massively from the rest of this season. Next season will be the big test, but don’t expect miracles, a finish 6-8 would be massive.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

As much as I like Austin its easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize as he has been doing for the last 4-5 years, Borthwick is a talented and well respected coach so I would like to think he knows what he is doing