TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: London irish

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:34 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:01 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:22 am
...... and I believe that is what we’ll get! I wouldn’t object if one or two younger players are in the squad for Wednesday, George Martin for example, but I’d drop Lavanini who has been a disappointment for me. Henry deserves a place on the bench coming on for Ford for the last 20 and I’d pick Steward at fullback.
The 2 games so far Lavanini hasn't looked like he wants to be here :(
He is a new father with all the couple's family in another country. There could be some external issues influencing his performance. Fatigue and/or stress aren't likely to improve his performance. Hopefully he settles back in quickly.

Agree 100% with this, I have 2 kids under 3 (fortunately not a newborn) it has been incredibly difficult for me and my wife to know there's no afternoon's off with the kids at grandparents etc it is VERY intense, at the newborn age things are intensified, family is over the other side of the world.

Add in, the fact he was one of 2 player's who started 2 games - the order we're rotating, the fact when he first came his English wasn't great and though improving wouldn't say he's fluent yet. All his compatriots at the club are either in Quarantine atm or not yet here.

Let's cut him (and his family) some slack. As things stand his top priority is his wife and baby. Rugby is a distant second to that, and rightly so.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish

Post by JP14 »

HarryTigerFan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:58 pm Would love to see George Martin get another run out against Irish, maybe even at lock this time. Have just seen that he made the most tackles in the Premiership this weekend (23) and won the most lineouts (11). Pretty impressive for a 19 year old on his prem debut
+1
I feel like this hasn’t been said enough, I would hate to put too much pressure on a youngster but in my opinion George Martin is definitely worth the hype.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:02 am
HarryTigerFan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:58 pm Would love to see George Martin get another run out against Irish, maybe even at lock this time. Have just seen that he made the most tackles in the Premiership this weekend (23) and won the most lineouts (11). Pretty impressive for a 19 year old on his prem debut
+1
I feel like this hasn’t been said enough, I would hate to put too much pressure on a youngster but in my opinion George Martin is definitely worth the hype.
Martin being a good lineout lock is particularly impressive given his size and physicality. There aren't many locks pushing 20 stone who can lead the lineout and jump as frequently at his age. The only other one I can think of would be Kpoku. It wasn't a perfect debut for Martin but he grew into the game as it went on.

I thought Jack van Poortvliet stood out again when he came on as well. His service is so quick. JvP and Henry really got the game moving when paired at 9 and 10.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't understand why people are picking Taute at 15, we have never seen him play that position, I think he is ok in the centre but lacks a little pace. I do like the suggestion of Hardwick at 12 with Scott at 13.
For me Lavanini has played alright, he did get penalised a bit against Bath but some of those decisions were a little unfortunate. I don't expect him to be selected against Irish but he is still one of our best two locks.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:34 am I don't understand why people are picking Taute at 15, we have never seen him play that position, I think he is ok in the centre but lacks a little pace. I do like the suggestion of Hardwick at 12 with Scott at 13.
For me Lavanini has played alright, he did get penalised a bit against Bath but some of those decisions were a little unfortunate. I don't expect him to be selected against Irish but he is still one of our best two locks.
Since coming to Leicester he seems to have reduced aggression and I haven't seen him have a game as good as he played before.
He used to get the odd card.
I don't mind the odd card when players are trying to compete effectively.
A player gets a card competing hard here and he gets berated on here for it.
Players need to compete hard otherwise the opposition recycle for fun and score tries as was the case in Saturday.
These days you get lauded for 23 soft tackles but get berated if you make a mistake tackling hard to effect the gain line.
Players can go soft in trying to be too perfect.
It's the old Shilton vs Maradona debate, do you play nice and let Maradona handle the ball into the net or do you take his head off!

I'd add, I'd like to see more control in contact, but it's only applicable if it is being applied by ALL teams!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Leicester Tigers (v London Irish, home, Wednesday 6.00pm)

15 Freddie Steward

14 David Williams

13 Jaco Taute

12 Matt Scott

11 Nemani Nadolo

10 George Ford (vc)

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole

4 Harry Wells

5 Calum Green

6 Hanro Liebenberg

7 Tommy Reffell

8 Jordan Taufua

Replacements

16 Charlie Clare

17 Nephi Leatigaga

18 Joe Heyes

19 George Martin

20 Luke Wallace

21 Ben White

22 Zack Henry

23 Jordan Olowofela
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

About what I expected.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Very very pleased with this team - hope for a good win
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:01 pm Leicester Tigers (v London Irish, home, Wednesday 6.00pm)

15 Freddie Steward

14 David Williams

13 Jaco Taute

12 Matt Scott

11 Nemani Nadolo

10 George Ford (vc)

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole

4 Harry Wells

5 Calum Green

6 Hanro Liebenberg

7 Tommy Reffell

8 Jordan Taufua

Replacements

16 Charlie Clare

17 Nephi Leatigaga

18 Joe Heyes

19 George Martin

20 Luke Wallace

21 Ben White

22 Zack Henry

23 Jordan Olowofela
Beat me to it, very happy with that team looks strong, good bench too. Nadolo fit to play!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

That’s very close to the first team

Welcome Nadolo

Well done to George Martin making the bench

I’m looking forward to seeing where we are at
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

London Irish:
15 Tom Homer, 14 Tom Parton, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Terrence Hepetema, 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Ben Meehan, 1 Harry Elrington, 2 Motu Matu’u, 3 Sekope Kepu, 4 George Nott, 5 Sebastian de Chaves, 6 Ben Donnell, 7 Blair Cowan ©, 8 Albert Tuisue.

Replacements:
16 Matt Cornish, 17 Will Goodrick-Clarke, 18 Lovejoy Chawatama, 19 Jack Cooke, 20 TJ Ioane, 21 Rory Brand, 22 Jacob Atkins, 23 Ross Neal
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Hopefully get the job done whilst continuing to progress .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Yep great team and strong bench. Irish missing a few too with no Coleman, Mafi or Naholo. Great to see Steward given a chance and a well deserved spot in the team for Martin. Quietly confident for this one
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Must win,no excuses!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I’m happy with this selection and expect a win, although I am not underestimating the opposition. Good to see Nadolo on the team sheet and I wonder how long he will play before being replaced. Steward at fullback is an important call and I hope he does well, so too Martin on the bench.
Semper in excretia