Teams up v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Teams up v Bath

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Felt sorry for McPhillips, he was that bad I doubt he could do that poorly ever again.

3 horrific kicks in the first half when we were 6-0 up gave Bath 2 tries and the game went with it.

Shame but the way the team carried on and played some decent stuff in the 2nd half was a big plus as was attitude and fitness.

Some decent individual performances but hard to know what it all means other than some young and deeper squad players have been given a taste of the premiership and hopefully it’ll push them on for more.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

10mill wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:16 pm We drew the 2nd half I think that’s a positive didn’t sink away
Huge positive that we didn't drop off. Last year we fell apart in those sort of situations. Today there were players who grew into the game and their heads never dropped. You never felt like they were putting in less than 100%.

Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of disappointing stuff in there and it's not the type of selection I would have gone for, but it wasn't a disaster either.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Excellent match we played very well the youngsters shone and everything is pointing to a squad that is improving incrementally and with more firepower to arrive the only direction is up. :smt035
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Started well, finished well and never gave up. Tigers development 15 vs nearly full strength Bath first 15. Not a bad showing at all imho. Nearly 100% at the lineout last 2 games which is a massive improvement under SB and the new coaches. Expect a stronger team on Wed vs Irish and then I guess we will see where we really are at.

Not the best performance by JMcP today which didn't help matters but some good debut performances from Potter, Porter and Evener and Henry looked more comfortable at first receiver after Steward came on. Some good impact by the youngsters off the bench to finish on a high.

The result most expected given the mismatch on paper but you can't doubt the commitment from the lads. Bring on the Irish!
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:19 pm Doesnt get SB or GM a pass though! The game was already won,happens all the time when teams take their foot off the gas. It was a very bad loss,its just made the scoreline a bit respectable,that's it!
I would ignore individual results as the club are clearly treating these games as effectively trial/practice games

You can argue the merits or otherwise of that strategy but the results of these matches will be where we are in 12 months time not in 2-3 weeks time
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:21 pm Excellent match we played very well the youngsters shone and everything is pointing to a squad that is improving incrementally and with more firepower to arrive the only direction is up. :smt035
For once I agree with you. In what was effectively a dead rubber, reputations were made (and lost). Henry looks a good 'un and possibly the understudy for Ford with Hardwick to be Scott's at 12. Too many on here need to realise it is one or two years down the line, when perhaps 2 or 3 of these lads are in the England squad and Tigers are on the up again, that we will look back and say that SB played it right.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Some of the hysteria in this thread is hilarious
Blimey...
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Crivvens wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:30 pm Some of the hysteria in this thread is hilarious
Makes you wonder if there aren’t a few non-Tigers fans on a wind up
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:33 pm
Crivvens wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:30 pm Some of the hysteria in this thread is hilarious
Have the courage to name names rather than making catch all statements
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Either that or they expected Harry Potter to rock up with his wand and miraculously make everything all ok instantly.
Blimey...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It happens every time Tigers are losing a game, some people just get carried away with negativity and want to vent their frustration.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Austin saying Bath could be dark horses !!! I think they’ll be disappointed that they didn’t finish us off properly. Potter, Henry, Porter in parts and Martin all did well I thought. Eneva solid and replacements decent. Onwards need a win on Wednesday.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would like to see a team of
1. Genge, 2. Youngs, 3. Leatigaga
4. Wells, 5. Henderson
6. Liebenberg, 7. Reffell, 8. Taufua
9. White, 10. Henry
12. Scott, 13. Porter
11. Nadolo, 14. Olowofela, 15. Steward

16. Mamu, 17. Gigena, 18. Cole
19. Martin, 20. Brink
21. Simmons, 22. Hardwick, 23. Williams

At some point this season.
Last edited by RagingBull on Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

It was always likely to be a tough afternoon once the teams became known. We started quite well but became messy and ragged as lack of experience and time playing together became evident. However, Tigers kept at it and the 10-12 loss of the 2nd half was an improvement. But mostly the postives are the effort, fitness and passion and the fight to the end, actually looking quite good for the final try. The youngsters also now have a benchmark of where they need to get to. A final point, the losing margin today was smaller than the L Irish loss earlier today; maybe some perspective especially given the relative team selections today.
As Good As It Gets
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The young lads at the end, helped by Old King Cole, showed lots of promise.
Henry never let his head drop and with Hardwick showed a skills we need: taking the ball to the line then getting the ball away.
Put it into perspective, some years ago my wife and I saw a Tigers first team get hammered 45-0 at the Rec then later on in the season saw us lose at the same ground by a big score in the Playoff Semi!
Yes, in the second half Bath could relax but the young lads kept going and weren’t helped again by Lavanini’s I’ll discipline : hopefully he will learn to be a more disciplined player under Borthwick.
Now let’s beat Irish and Gloucester!