Teams up v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Teams up v Bath

Post by soggytiger »

Given the PRL guidelines on player safety for this period, every club is going to have to put a side out like this at some point during the three game spell. We are slightly more hampered by lack of player availability but great to see some trust put in youngsters.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m looking forward to see what Guy Porter offers today, no footage really available of him online, but Bondi reckons he’s a big fellow, so a Jamie Roberts type player maybe? Let’s see.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

The way I see it is we had to play the strongest side possible against Exeter meaning we then have to play a “weaker” team against Bath or London Irish.

We could have picked the “strong“ team for today and still lost and then picked the “weaker” team against Irish and then lost again. I think we’ve gone down the route of “weaker” against Bath and then the “stronger” team against Irish to get the win.

One of these games was already going to be a changed side as sending a “weaker” team to Exeter just wasn’t an option.

All I’m looking for between Exeter until the end of the season is a side that looks more physical, plays for 80 minutes and looks like we could actually do something. If we can get this cracked, then we are heading in the right direction!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Duncan B wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 pm
Duncan B wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 pm

You don’t see that we have a decent opportunity to beat bath at home by putting a decent side out and we have put out a side with literally no hope of achieving anything as the players being blooded have no quality around them.... why would we not rest players for the following away trip and at least have some quality on the bench?
And yet we may win with the side selected. I'd rather give squad players a go and see what they can do. Nothing to lose at all and plenty of longer term benefits
If they do get pumped and have incredibly limited go forward ball, what exactly are the benefits? They’ll feel less confident about playing at that level than before. I’m sure any of those players could do an admirable job slipping into a first team, this is a totally different kettle of fish.
I see it like this, Borthwick has stated from the beginning, hard work, determination, effort, attitude, heart are what he’s looking for. Put this team out against a full strength Bath, sure they could buckle and lose confidence, or they could show the attributes Borthwick has stated from the off are his main focus at the moment. If they get pumped but fight to the end, hopefully as a team, but even as individuals, a lot is going to be learnt about the boys/men.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's a bit of a strange team but good to see in other ways, there are options in the backline for swapping about if we get any quick ball.
Big game for Big Tomas, really needs to impose himself. Luke Wallace will have to do a lot of talking.
Performance as a team & individually the most important thing today.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Trying very hard to understand the reasoning behind the team selection. Yes, we want to see everyone and combinations need to be looked at. Also games are coming thick and fast so we need to utilise the whole squad. Just difficult to get my head around not playing the strongest possible line up against Bath. I get that we’re not going to be relegated but why should we accept being second bottom ? All very strange and tricky to get used to.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Hmmm....interesting selection. I guess it suits SB to use the rest of this season to have a really good look at his entire squad, see who is up to it and how isn't and have a look at some untried combinations.

I'm excited to see what the new guys can do.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I wonder who is doing the goal kicking, Henry, McPhillips or Worth
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:05 pm I wonder who is doing the goal kicking, Henry, McPhillips or Worth
From his highlights reel i'd say Henry but McPhillips isn't a bad kicker, on a side note anybody else see Freddie Steward kicking goals from 50m+ on the Gallagher live videos on Wednesday, wasn't aware he was a kicker too
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Time to remember what that young team did to South Africa! :smt038
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

On a slightly different tack, I’d like to say thanks to the club for the digital programme. A good innovation.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:13 pm Time to remember what that young team did to South Africa! :smt038
There were also quite a few experienced and high quality players that day - it was more of a blend of experience and youth than we have today. Castro, Tuqiri, Deacon, Hamilton, Mauger, Chuter, Parling and Stankovich were all on the field.

If we're lucky some of the kids getting their chance today will kick on like Ben Youngs, Dan Cole and Manu did back in 2009.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Super nervous now,I'll be happy if we can keep it less than a 20 point loss
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:37 pm Trying very hard to understand the reasoning behind the team selection. Yes, we want to see everyone and combinations need to be looked at. Also games are coming thick and fast so we need to utilise the whole squad. Just difficult to get my head around not playing the strongest possible line up against Bath. I get that we’re not going to be relegated but why should we accept being second bottom ? All very strange and tricky to get used to.
I think the logic is to give us the best chance of getting to not second bottom it is less of a risk to put a near first 15 against London Irish on Wednesday as that same team might have lost narrowly today and then the team we're playing today would be what took on London Irish on Wednesday and they might lose too, two narrow losses being worse than a win and a pasting...

Plus, extend preseason for 20-21 chance to learn about the deeper squad for free all providing foundations for a better future...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Crofty wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:02 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:37 pm Trying very hard to understand the reasoning behind the team selection. Yes, we want to see everyone and combinations need to be looked at. Also games are coming thick and fast so we need to utilise the whole squad. Just difficult to get my head around not playing the strongest possible line up against Bath. I get that we’re not going to be relegated but why should we accept being second bottom ? All very strange and tricky to get used to.
I think the logic is to give us the best chance of getting to not second bottom it is less of a risk to put a near first 15 against London Irish on Wednesday as that same team might have lost narrowly today and then the team we're playing today would be what took on London Irish on Wednesday and they might lose too, two narrow losses being worse than a win and a pasting...

Plus, extend preseason for 20-21 chance to learn about the deeper squad for free all providing foundations for a better future...
Also worth noting LI made 10 changes today from the team that played last week; maybe they are doing the same as us?
As Good As It Gets