Teams up v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SthrnTiger

Re: Teams up v Bath

Post by SthrnTiger »

Wasn’t the team I was expecting but interested to see how some of the new recruits fare. In particular Porter and Potter and like others I have high hopes for Henry.

Bath obviously favourites and its the back row match-up that looks most unbalanced with Faletau and Underhill being two top class internationals.

Still looking forward to it and most of all I’m just glad there’s some rugby to watch again!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If Castries get to play us, having our best team out means not play in our best team more than once more? A shot at a Euro title is all there is left of this season apart from a lot of competitive practice.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Home advantage is normally due to the crowd, no crowd equals no advantage or at best marginal. I am surprised by the team selection but we have been told of the limitations of time on the pitch for players in the coming matches so team rotation is inevitable. Steve Borthwick has not had the opportunity of seeing a lot of contact training with his squad and he has the chance of seeing the guys in actual match play and appears to be making the most of it. many suggested that we treat the end of this season like an extended pre season for 20/21, I didn't like the idea but that appears to be what we are doing. It is pleasing to see that after putting out a squad containing 10 graduates from our Academy last week we are doing the same this week plus a few players brought in as development projects getting their chance to shine.
Bath seem to have gone for a full first choice XIV so it will be a really good test for our youngsters. Do I think we will win? No not really but and it is a big but you never know, as someone in a previous post said we travelled to Cardiff last year thinking we had no chance and were amazed and delighted at the end of that match. Glad to see Tom Hardwick in the squad for that last minute penalty should it be needed.
Last edited by johnthegriff on Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 pm Home advantage is normally due to the crowd, no crowd equals no advantage or at best marginal. I am surprised by the team selection but we have been told of the limitations of time on the pitch for players in the coming matches so team rotation is inevitable. Steve Borthwick has not had the opportunity of seeing a lot of contact training with his squad and he has the chance of seeing the guys in actual match play and appears to be making the most of it. many suggested that we treat the end of this season like an extended pre season for 20/21, I didn't like the idea but that appears to be what we are doing. It is pleasing to see that after putting out a squad containing 10 graduates from our Academy last week we are doing the same this week plus a few players brought in as development projects getting their chance to shine.
Bath seem to have gone for a full first choice XVI so it will be a really good test for our youngsters. Do I think we will win? No not really but and it is a big but you never know, as someone in a previous post said we travelled to Cardiff last year thinking we had no chance and were amazed and delighted at the end of that match. Glad to see Tom Hardwick in the squad for that last minute penalty should it be needed.
Who is their 16th player John, the Ref? :smt052
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: teams up v bath

Post by TigerCam »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:28 pm
Knightonian wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:16 pm Wow a very changed side

We will do well to get any points and prevent a cricket score
Was it against Cardiff away earlier this season when some of us said something similar? I was surprised then.
It was Cardiff Blues, I was there. Both sets of supporters couldn't wait for the 80 mins to be up. However the Tigers scrapped home and all my Welsh buddies were a tad crest-fallen :smt003 . With nothing to win in the league, the selection is a good one. Against a strong Bath side we will see who in Tigers colours has the nous to commit for 80 mins. It will give Lord Vader a good measuring stick to see whom can take and stand the pressure? Who knows if the game is as drab and error-strewn as the Cardiff excuse for a game, then the Tigers may just win it - just?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

How times have changed, there was a time when Tigers always set out to win their home games, no matter who the opposition, crowd or no crowd, 11th or not. I can understand the desire to give the youngsters a chance but frankly I do not think that they or the club would benefit from a pasting. Hope I am very wrong and they make at least a very good account of themselves but we really do need to get back to winning again at home :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

targeting the Irish game then, hope the young lads can step up and stake a claim for the first XV
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

[quote=sapajo post_id=749765 time=1598021492 user_id=9379]
How times have changed, there was a time when Tigers always set out to win their home games, no matter who the opposition, crowd or no crowd, 11th or not. I can understand the desire to give the youngsters a chance but frankly I do not think that they or the club would benefit from a pasting. Hope I am very wrong and they make at least a very good account of themselves but we really do need to get back to winning again at home :smt023
[/quote]

We've got our first choice Locks, and a strong front row. Decent back row (though Bath's is international quality)

Lots of new young players keen to prove themselves in the backs, with some already showing as exciting talent.

Bath are clear favourites but I certainly think we should be competitive.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

Decent front row & arguably 1st choice locks - will hopefully deliver clean ball again this week and disrupt baths. Hope heyes goes better this week than last.
Inexperienced backrow (Wallace excepted) but what an opportunity for Martin and Gough against faletau and Underhill.
9+10 need to push on and give competition to Youngs and Ford but deserve the start based on performances pre covid.
Outside backs - anyone's guess how this will go, but our backline last week did zero in attack, so what's to lose? Hopefully a bit more focus has been given to attack in training this week. A couple of line breaks please!

Excited by the team, but expect a loss. What would be unforgivable is for the team's workrate and fight to drop below last week's baseline. Whatever happens in next few weeks, our squad will be far stronger in a couple of months time under these coaches and with added firepower still to come in.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

All I want are some good attacking phases and to keep within the LBP, anything more is a bonus
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

For the first time in a long time I'm delighted to see Tigers being pragmatic, and there being a clear plan. They have obviously said - the season is over - this is pre-season for us. Let's get players on the field, in varying combinations, see where we are. It's going to be a journey. 26-13 away to full strength Exeter. If we can come away from this with a respectable result, even if it is a loss, such is life. An ego victory, where we put out a full strength side, to try and win against traditional rivals, in an empty stadium, given what has gone before would IMHO have been the wrong thing to do. Excited to see some of the new boys in action.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

What do we expect to learn about the younger players by putting them all in together, in combinations they'll probably never play in again for the first XV?

Show me Thom Smith next to Taufua...

Potter on the opposite wing to Nadolo...

... Or Porter next to Scott.

Let's be honest, a Bath drubbing is highly possible with how strong they've gone.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

To LE18, well spotted, not sure if it was my maths or my typing that was at fault. On the other hand it might be prophetic as the ref is often to blame for our failings, I know that's right I have read it on this message board.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I was not expecting that line up! It's a difficult situation - do you play a half strength team every week and risk losing every game, or alternate your first and second teams to aim to win 50%?

I'm not sure I would have gone this way, my instinct is usually that younger players should learn the ropes alongside experienced teammates, not all thrown in together at the deep end. That said, I'm sure Borthwick will learn a lot about these kids tomorrow. The danger is that we get an utter pasting in the process and it sets their development back.

The back row and fly half are the biggest surprises for me, outside of 12 I'd be surprised if we look any weaker than last week.

I have never seen most of these guys play rugby so I have no idea what to expect.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:32 pm What do we expect to learn about the younger players by putting them all in together, in combinations they'll probably never play in again for the first XV?

Show me Thom Smith next to Taufua...

Potter on the opposite wing to Nadolo...

... Or Porter next to Scott.

Let's be honest, a Bath drubbing is highly possible with how strong they've gone.
Exactly my thoughts!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer