Next week versus Bath then Irish!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Next week versus Bath then Irish!

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:48 pm I always thought Karl Dickson was a decent ref, but he has failed to have anything anywhere near that reffing for us!
It seems to be a pattern with ex-players. They get to the higher echelons, have a decisive impact first season, then get worse and worse. Probably all that ref training and analysis. :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Regarding the "not done any attack training yet"...

Both Exeter and Sarries got to the top of the premiership playing incredibly boring, pragmatic rugby with strong forwards, low risk back play and plenty of strategic kicking. The fancy stuff comes later once the basics are rock solid.

Until our forwards are consistently not just competitive but dominant, and our backs capable of doing the basics well and making good decisions, there is little point spending any time on exciting backs moves.

How often in the last 3 years have we lost games due to the imploding line out, wayward handling skills, half-hearted tackling or the forwards being overpowered by the opposition? Let's fix those things first, please.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

i totally agree Tiglon - I have screamed myself hoarse many times in the past 3 seasons about the absolute basics being very poor. In fairness, this season (both bits of it) they have started to improve. Until we become as efficient as the teams you mentioned, we wont be able to compete and i think its fix one or two things at a time in what has become an extended preseason for us.
Also - we should not forget that getting the defence right is just as important for the backs as it is the pack - get those basics right and well drilled and move on to the next improvement.

No team wins without the ball - so set piece basics and discipline are absolute key in my opinion
Less is more....
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Two (very different) things!

Firstly, BT Sport claim to be showing ALL fixtures, yet our mid-week game is nowhere to be seen! Anyone know which channel it is going to be shown on?

Secondly, if we go back a few years to the start of Sarries 'glory' years, didn't they just hoof the ball up the pitch or keep it with the forwards until such a time as they created a quality attack side?
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

By "showing " do they mean on actual tv channel or are they including streaming games on the bt sport website? I think the latter which is why you would have to register for the pass if you are not a BT sport subscriber
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:30 pm By "showing " do they mean on actual tv channel or are they including streaming games on the bt sport website? I think the latter which is why you would have to register for the pass if you are not a BT sport subscriber
According to BT Sport's own website:

"BT Sport to show live coverage of every single Gallagher Premiership match between now and the end of the season.

In a ground-breaking agreement between Premiership Rugby and BT Sport, subscribers can watch every single match from the remainder of the 2019/20 season live".

I purposely upgraded my Virgin TV to include BT Sport, and whilst I know that I could register to view a televised home game as a season ticket holder, if they don't show it at all, who can watch it?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Premiership rugby fixtures list just has it as BT Sport.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Might be a Red Button job?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

How can we find out?
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Well, after a bit more hunting I've found it - apparently on channel 451! However, I don't seem to be able to get this via my new subscription :smt013 , anybody know how to?
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I had to watch some of the games via the BT sport app as I couldn’t find them on any sky channel. But then again I didn’t look too hard I guess.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Go onto but sport channel and press red button and there will be a number of sports showing. Then just click on the relevant one :smt023
A2O
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:04 pm Go onto but sport channel and press red button and there will be a number of sports showing. Then just click on the relevant one :smt023
OK, thanks, I'll give it a go before next Wednesday just to be sure it works.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Ads677 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:11 pm Two (very different) things!

Firstly, BT Sport claim to be showing ALL fixtures, yet our mid-week game is nowhere to be seen! Anyone know which channel it is going to be shown on?

Secondly, if we go back a few years to the start of Sarries 'glory' years, didn't they just hoof the ball up the pitch or keep it with the forwards until such a time as they created a quality attack side?
With regards to the second point, absolutely not. They had superb retention within the pack, and then aimed excellent high kicks with well coordinated chases and used these to retain pressure and territory. To say that was a hoof is a little disrespectful to the very well coached plan they executed.
Was it dull to watch - hell yes......
Less is more....
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

The non listed games on Saturday were on the red button on BT Sport 1 but you had to watch them live. I tried to record Worcs v Glos but it wouldn’t let me.