BT Sport Coverage of Quins vs Sale .... Why Oh Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SimonP in Surrey

BT Sport Coverage of Quins vs Sale .... Why Oh Why ?

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Game covered elsewhere, but I was truly flabbergasted and annoyed to see BT Sport choosing not just mention but heavily feature the BLM initiative and to a lesser extent the CoVid / NHS content in the prematch buildup. We wait months for our rugby to return then they chose to force us to listen to their virtue signalling politicised views!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: BT Sport Coverage of Quins vs Sale .... Why Oh Why ?

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Like all private companies in it for profit, they're doing what the majority of people want to see. If it wasn't they wouldn't do it. BT Sport isn't a national service or a charity.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

You are in the minority. Go back to reading the Daily Mail.

The NHS should get all the credit and plaudits we can offer. They've been abused for years by a corporate sell out government aiming for privatisation.

The players who wanted to take a knee took a knee. The ones who didn't, didn't. Carry on, no one was fussed. BT did fine.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

I completely disagree
It’s nothing to do with what the majority want. The majority isn’t in favour of this BLM HIGHLY political left wing movement even if individuals broadly support the aim of anti racism.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Johnnyg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:43 am I completely disagree
It’s nothing to do with what the majority want. The majority isn’t in favour of this BLM HIGHLY political left wing movement even if individuals broadly support the aim of anti racism.
"Former England skipper Chris Robshaw told Sky Sports News earlier this week Harlequins would kneel as a show of support for equal opportunities for everyone "regardless of the colour of their skin".

The club confirmed during the week they would be kneeling in support of the Rugby Against Racism campaign."

So not political at all. Merely anti racism. Have you considered that the newspapers that like to link ALL anti racism protests to a marginal movement that exists almost entirely in the USA might have their own very right wing agenda?

Perhaps you should read or listen to the experiences of some people and players of colour and then maybe you would appreciate we some want to use this opportunity to make a stand.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Think people should watch this to be honest...

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 00132?s=21
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The OP’s bigotry aside, why are you so annoyed by paying tribute to the NHS, yeah okay they deserve more than a clap, the NHS needs a complete overhaul and the staff (not the bosses) need a pay rise (as well as a break), but surely paying tribute to the vast amounts of people who have saved lives isn’t political?
Last edited by JP14 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I’m always curious when someone says, ‘The majority of people support/don’t support [this].’

Is there some research you’re referencing that evidences what the nation thinks?

Are you referencing a particular media organisation’s position?

Or is the statement based on what you see/hear in your social circles?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Should we have a separate thread for this subject ?
A2O
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Not sure why we even have this post, the players in their individual ways made known their disapproval of racism at the start of the match, some by the wearing of a printed tee-shirt others by taking a knee, There are reported aspects of the Blacl Lives Matter movement that some do not approve of but no right minded person in any way supports racism so to indicate support for equality and justice in differing and personal ways is fair enough and people should not be blamed or held to account by others.
That this ceremony took place at the start of the game and similar is likely to take place at the start of each match this weekend means that B.T would be remiss if it did not report it and include it in its transmission. As this game was the first after a long break due to the pandemic mean that mention of cause of the break and the part played by our health service in fighting against the consequence of Covid the mention of both was legitimate and frankly it would have been strange had they not been mentioned.
I was puzzled by the original posters choice of words " please don't become as woke as the BBC " I didn't understand it, but with a little research I now know that "woke" is African-American street talk for racially aware, that actually seem like praise for the BBC, credit to SimonP in Surrey of all places for being fluent in street talk.
SimonP in Surrey

I will say with respect (despite that not being given to me) that most of you have completely missed the point. You have assumed that if I suggest a political and cultural topic should not be significantly featured in the first minutes of rugby coverage for five months then (1) I am bigoted (obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, and intolerant towards other people's beliefs and practices) which couldn't be further from the truth btw (2) I read the Daily Mail !! Which I don't but note incidentally that the DM is pretty much +/- the most read newspaper in the UK so this is a strange point to make. (3) The majority of people would want to see the first 15 minutes of rugby coverage actually being political !! Let's suggest Scottish independence or A level marking at the start of Exeter vs Leicester next !! and finally you are suggesting that (4) BLM is not a politicised issue, which Ugo himself admitted it is and Chris Robshaws careful choice of word shows the sensitivity of the issue by explaining the intended spirit of support not blind religious following of BLM. So thats 4 out of 4 points suggested that are 100% wrong. For what its worth (but not relevant to my point) I don't know anybody that doesn't support the elimination of racism, I don't know anybody that more broadly doesn't want to eliminate inequality. But I do know that the BLM specific branding is splitting the public very much just like Brexit. Therefore there isn't a right or wrong answer just opinions to be respected. Therefore, once again why should BT Sport force upon us such a controversial subject as BLM. Finally .... its irrelevant whether its BLM as a topic or anything else (hence my list of topics at the start) and its also irrelevant if you or I support the topics or not .... it's the principle of inserting politics into the re-start the rugby season which I raised.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

All that and all you had to do was turn down the volume!
SimonP in Surrey

BFG wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:27 pm All that and all you had to do was turn down the volume!
Agreed BFG. You are right .. I will next time.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:18 pm "...such a controversial subject as BLM."
That you think 'black lives matter' is a controversial notion says a lot. Irrespective of everything else you've said, I'd say that certain opinions shouldn't be respected, and yours is one of them.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:39 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:27 pm All that and all you had to do was turn down the volume!
Agreed BFG. You are right .. I will next time.
My Wife once suggested that I become a television presenter.
"Is that because I'm likeable" I asked.
"No, I'd just like to turn the volume off" she replied.