Team for Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jacko27

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by Jacko27 »

Phew! On paper the two sides are chalk and cheese, aren't they. One oozes class the other looks like a weaker version of the teams we put out earlier " this season". I'm kind of pleased to see rugby back but to be realistic if we avoid a 20+ points defeat then the new coaching team will have achileved something.
L.F
Tiger Cub

Post by L.F »

They have obviously decided to keep their powder dry for later matches. I predict a huge drubbing
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Not sure we could have expected any different, given the losses of Manu, Reid, Eastmond, May, Thompstone, Holmes and Veianu, and the fact the replacements are by and large not yet here, that’s about what we have. It will be more about the type of rugby we play, so long as the new coaching is starting to make a difference in intensity and accuracy I’ll see that as a big positive. When the additional players land/are cleared then we should see a further upturn.
Seems like that is the message Borthwick is trying to get across, tempering expectations, but reinforcing it is about showing signs of improvement. The focus is largely on what Tigers are doing, not what Exeter are doing. First step on a long road back.

I think our starting front row is stronger, I think Genge and Cole would have an edge on Hepburn and Williams. Wells as 6 adds additional bulk hitting breakdowns, and Reffell and Taufua provide mobility.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Jacko27 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:25 pm Phew! On paper the two sides are chalk and cheese, aren't they. One oozes class the other looks like a weaker version of the teams we put out earlier " this season". I'm kind of pleased to see rugby back but to be realistic if we avoid a 20+ points defeat then the new coaching team will have achileved something.
You may well be right but one Exeter fan has posted our team on their Forum saying just to remind you it wont be a walk in the park or words to that effect so something bothers them
As Good As It Gets
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I expected roughly what we have, the ones deemed match ready or defensively strong plus a mix of others in a match where we would not expect much at this point. The same match in January would be a different matter.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I quite like the idea of the team by & large being those that were here before the postponement, it's almost a chance of redemption.
Tigers Performance is far more important tomorrow than the result, no white flags allowed!
To win is not as important as playing with style!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

All i'm interested in is whether the new faces and new attitudes will gel in defence and pose a threat in attack. A solid 80 mins of competing in every area will do me, the result at this stage of a total rebuild is less of an issue. First steps!!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I've not been as optimistic in years. For me August 15th 2020 represents a date zero. From which the journey back starts in earnest. I'm remain very optimistic. Not for a win away from home to the likely Premiership Champions. But the response from the players to that reality. Tomorrow tells us where we are. But we now have a proper coaching team club. What I want to see is a never say die attitude, clarity about what we are doing and how we are trying to play, competence where there has been incompetence. Heart where there has been a lack of it. Club First. Tough.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Well, away to Exe doesn't get much tougher as the opening gig for a new regime, especially with the weakened back line. So for me, the performance matters more than the result. No doubt the coaches will learn much from seeing the players perform in a match situation. As others have said, just hoping there's enough there to avoid another drubbing.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Who cares about the result, for the rest of the season it doesn’t matter with Saracens being relegated. What does matter is the manner of our performance. Strong set piece, big in defence and some attacking intent from the backs. See all three and I’ll be very happy.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

never really a fan of a 6-2 split on the bench but it the plan is have the back row go all out then ring the changes I suppose is need to be done
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Interesting about the 6-2 split, with Nadolo not match fit, van Wyk and Murimurivalu still yet to arrive it was inevitable we weren't going to be first-choice in the backs however I'm still looking forward to the contest.

OTY and Bondi were talking on the podcast about Borthwick potentially being the making of Green & Wells, let's hope that is the case. Looking forward to see what Smith brings to the game, I'm also hoping this season (and a half) is the breakthrough for Olowofela
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Effort and intent will be everything. We have a long way to go so to start the journey is probably as much as can be expected from this game. There should be much to see and learn and I for one can't wait.

In the echoing words of Bill, 'Keep the Faith' :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JohanK

Post by JohanK »

I think the team is probably a fair reflection of where the squad is at the moment, with a few of the new signings yet to arrive particularly in the back line. I think the 9, 10, 12, 13 line up is probably going to be the first choice picks for the remainder of this season so if we can get that working well going forward and in defense hopefully that will provide a good platform to try out new combinations in the back three. I am pleased to see Heyes and Kerr on the bench as I really hope they get the opportunity to push on this year so we get to the position of having pretty much three top quality sets of front row forwards available.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It would be nice to see signs that Borthwick has been able to fix the long-standing lineout problems. Yes, their back three is stronger than ours, as is their outside centre, but our 9,10,12 combo is top drawer and we should be able to compete up front.

It feels a bit strange, but my only emotion going into this match is one of curiosity - is this the beginning of a bright new era? On paper our team looks weaker than pre-lockdown, but I wouldn't be surprised if the performance is stronger.