Team for Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:57 pm As we cannot get relegated I would use the end of season games to mix the combinations, and give players a chance to show what they can do., in preparation for next season.
Undoubtedly to a point, certainly once top six not mathematically possible.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Nice simply to be able to debate selection again....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:57 pm As we cannot get relegated I would use the end of season games to mix the combinations, and give players a chance to show what they can do., in preparation for next season.
Experiment and lose badly and then the media negativity around the club intensifies again. The players and coaches will want to start to alleviate the pressure and a good performance will do that. The mid week game coming up gives us an ideal three games to mix up the selection.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think we should remember that Borthwick isn't going to solve all our issues overnight, patience is still required, it's not the end of the world if we lose on Saturday but I'm sure we will give it to them nonetheless.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’d be looking to go full strength on game one.
Result isn’t crucial, but the performance is.
Get on the right path from game one, and then make adjustments to suit from there on.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:34 am I’d be looking to go full strength on game one.
Result isn’t crucial, but the performance is.
Get on the right path from game one, and then make adjustments to suit from there on.
Agree with this. Also shows where the front line players are with the new scheme of things. After this a week off before rotation can start in the 2 home games
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 pm No one will get replaced inside 50 min unless injured, and I think Ford and Youngs will be split for the 2 home games.
IMO fans need to temper their expectations of Reffell, he is obviously going to get some game time but he isn’t yet as good as people are making him out to be.
Whilst I agree with that, particularly in respect of some of the comparisons to Sam Warburton, I don't think it is particularly over-egging to consider him a better player than Luke Wallace. I certainly think that and will be fairly disappointed if Wallace is picked ahead of Reffell regularly.

Picking Wallace would be a sign to me that nothing has changed and we are still going to value Championship quality "experience" signings over our existing equally talented young players.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm looking at performance over results from now till the end of the season. Let's see if we can improve lineout,kick chase,some attacking play instead of one out runners get isolated and so on. If its incremental each game then the results will follow. It's an ideal time to work on some combinations but I would definitely go full strength v Chiefs. They are heavy favourites so not being negative I fully expect them to win,what we dont want Is a big defeat first game back
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I really don't care about where any player is from, age or international caps gained. Just want the team picked on performance, not reputation. How each player fits into the game plan and how they perform their role in the team is the most important for me
Hehehehehehehehe
BG01

Post by BG01 »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:41 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 pm No one will get replaced inside 50 min unless injured, and I think Ford and Youngs will be split for the 2 home games.
IMO fans need to temper their expectations of Reffell, he is obviously going to get some game time but he isn’t yet as good as people are making him out to be.
Whilst I agree with that, particularly in respect of some of the comparisons to Sam Warburton, I don't think it is particularly over-egging to consider him a better player than Luke Wallace. I certainly think that and will be fairly disappointed if Wallace is picked ahead of Reffell regularly.

Picking Wallace would be a sign to me that nothing has changed and we are still going to value Championship quality "experience" signings over our existing equally talented young players.
I don't think this is very fair to Wallace at all.

Anyone who has watched Wallace will know he is an exceptional player who has been very unlucky with injuries, and in another life could have got a lot of England caps.

We absolutely should invest in Reffell, who is younger, home-grown, and may well end up as a better player than Wallace. But, at the moment, Wallace is the better player and we should use him if we want to win games. Luckily, the rotation needed this season means that we can use both and Reffell can continue to develop and learn from Wallace. As it happens I think we should pick Reffell for Exeter, but just because I think his defensive workrate will be more valuable than Wallace's ability over the ball.

We all loved Guy Thompson, who had similar credentials to Luke, so we shouldn't be so quick to write him off.
Never believe generalisations
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:41 am

I think you’re missing the point with Wallace. Yes Reffell is very much one for the future, but is far from being the finished article.
Wallace has been unlucky with injuries, but before these there were a number of Quins fans who felt England were picking the wrong flanker.
Your comments re picking him are short sighted imo
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Having watched a number of the games from New Zealand, one of the things that is clear, that IF the premiership games are officiated to the same standard, a 7 who can stay strong on his feet and go for the ball, without latching, will be invaluable.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Whilst I agree with Reffell not being as brilliant (yet) as a lot of us (me included) think, Wallace should not be picked ahead of him on experience alone, as with all positions we have to start picking on form, if its 50/50 certainly we should be looking to the future rather than the immediate game.
Obviously the end of this season is a free hit, where Wallace will help is allowing one of the other younger back row players to get game time.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:46 pm Whilst I agree with Reffell not being as brilliant (yet) as a lot of us (me included) think, Wallace should not be picked ahead of him on experience alone, as with all positions we have to start picking on form, if its 50/50 certainly we should be looking to the future rather than the immediate game.
Obviously the end of this season is a free hit, where Wallace will help is allowing one of the other younger back row players to get game time.
Selection should be based on 3 things imo, Fitness, form, in training if that’s all that is available, and to a lesser degree the relative strength of the opposition.
By this I mean Exeter usually have a monster back row, so ideally one that could stand toe to toe with them.
I don’t want to fixate on Reffell but for me he would be much better for him to start against Bath, especially with the retirement of Francois Louw
Last edited by Mark62 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm ...especially with the retirement of Francoise Louw
Yup, he must have been a vixen to play against!