LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by westwinds31 »

mol2 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:24 pm My concern is lack of pace - Taute really looked slow most of the season so far so I have my doubts about him at the top level.

As for the power centre, I fear that has been our gameplan every time Manu played and as such was way too predictable.
That’s where Walters comes in and gets another 10% out of Taute and he becomes a revelation. :smt027 :smt027
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RichieB »

loretta wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 pm As Pirelli would say, power is nothing without control. If we can establish a bit of a grip on games, the power we have will be enough.
I suspect that this will effectively be the 'clarity' given by the new Head Coach - control the game, particularly up front.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RichieB wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:51 am
loretta wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 pm As Pirelli would say, power is nothing without control. If we can establish a bit of a grip on games, the power we have will be enough.
I suspect that this will effectively be the 'clarity' given by the new Head Coach - control the game, particularly up front.
When Eddie Jones came in to England he said he wanted England to go back to playing like an English team instead of trying to play like the ABs. From what Borthwick has been saying it sounds like he wants to take Tigers back to our roots a bit. In a glory years we weren't all about the pack we had a pretty good backline as well. Every player on the pitch was tough, was physical, was committed 100%. You listen to Garforth talk about Lloyd our pacey outside centre, he was tough and he could handle himself. That was the standard and I think Borthwick is aiming for that again.

Of course having quality set piece should be something we are all about with the props we have and the jumpers. Stanko and Borthwick should ensure strong scrums and lineouts.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:20 am
RichieB wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:51 am
When Eddie Jones came in to England he said he wanted England to go back to playing like an English team instead of trying to play like the ABs. From what Borthwick has been saying it sounds like he wants to take Tigers back to our roots a bit. In a glory years we weren't all about the pack we had a pretty good backline as well. Every player on the pitch was tough, was physical, was committed 100%. You listen to Garforth talk about Lloyd our pacey outside centre, he was tough and he could handle himself. That was the standard and I think Borthwick is aiming for that again.

Of course having quality set piece should be something we are all about with the props we have and the jumpers. Stanko and Borthwick should ensure strong scrums and lineouts.
Absolutely agree. I remember one year meeting up with a friend who supports Quins at the Stoop. He was whinging on about 'boring, boring Tigers......' We had Alessandro Tuilagi on one wing and I think it was Lloyd on the other(?). I asked him if he could tell me which wingers had scored the most tries in the league over the past couple of seasons, and which team had scored the most tries. Needless to say he couldn't. Tigers were fantastic to watch because they had a platform that enabled the backs to play.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

After the three blowouts at Silverstone last Sunday I would consider comparisons to Pirelli for control, grip & power is like using Wasps for financial controls or Saracens for honesty, sorry. :smt009
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I have to say that I too would like to see a big back added to squad. Bulk draws the attention of the opposing side and can let them take their eye off the ball at times. It would also be a great option to change a game plan if things aren't going so well, and also a handy option for the last twenty minutes of a game.
bbfb10
Tiger Cub

Post by bbfb10 »

Nadolo not big enough for you? :smt046
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:53 pm I have to say that I too would like to see a big back added to squad. Bulk draws the attention of the opposing side and can let them take their eye off the ball at times. It would also be a great option to change a game plan if things aren't going so well, and also a handy option for the last twenty minutes of a game.
Having luxury last 20 minute players are a thing of the past I suspect
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:53 pm I have to say that I too would like to see a big back added to squad. Bulk draws the attention of the opposing side and can let them take their eye off the ball at times. It would also be a great option to change a game plan if things aren't going so well, and also a handy option for the last twenty minutes of a game.
A back 5 of Van Wyk, Scott, Moroni, Nadolo , Murimurivalu, has an average weight per player of 16 stone, admittedly helped my Nadolo, with 3 of them over 15 stone, and the other 2 around the 14 stone mark.
Just how much bulk do you think we need.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I would think the outside backs will be chosen from Scott 6'1" 103k, Taute 6'3" 108K, Worth 6'1" 95k, Williams 6'1" 91k,
Olowofela 6'2" 90k, Nadolo 6'5" 130k, Potter 6'1" 95k..
Dangerous4 is probably right we could do with some big guys in the backs ???
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:34 pm I would think the outside backs will be chosen from Scott 6'1" 103k, Taute 6'3" 108K, Worth 6'1" 95k, Williams 6'1" 91k,
We were on the same wave length JTG
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:34 pm I would think the outside backs will be chosen from Scott 6'1" 103k, Taute 6'3" 108K, Worth 6'1" 95k, Williams 6'1" 91k,
Yes I reckon they're plenty big enough but suspect the tape measure could be missing the first few inches in some cases.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Kobus van Wyk had a yellow card but a decent team try to his name today in what I believe is his final appearance for the Canes.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Got the yellow for picking up the Chiefs scrum half and throwing him away. Try was good but credit to the guy who did the crossfield kick, simple finish but Van Wyke had to be in the right position.
Have to watch the scrum half throwing though, some English refs might have given a red.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Nadolo is (allegedly) 20kg heavier than Manu. Our team is clearly going to be steamrolled by the giant backs of the rest of the Premiership.

Just imagine Nadolo facing his old club Exeter... he'll be flattened by all the huge Chiefs players. That Stuart Hogg is massive.

:smt017