Exeter Chiefs

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Exeter Chiefs

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:39 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:30 am
JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 am They’re being seen in a bad light by more than just a “minority”.
Really? I’d say it’s a minority.
Explain how you think it is a minority...
Quite simply, there’s less people offended by it than there are not offended. Hence why I believe it’s a minority.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:40 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 am
Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am

I think you may have missed the point, it isn’t the name chiefs that’s the main issue, it’s the using of Native Indian symbology, in their emblem, getting rid of their mascot isn’t going to change that.

If I was a cynic, I would say the cost of having to rebadge, all their playing, training and leisure gear, is the main driver behind this decision
Whatever the reason, Exeter are entitled to use that and choose not to change.
I would suggest you do a little more research, and whilst I agree with you saying it’s their choice, look at the reason why one of America’s leading sports franchises, Washington Redskins, are making changes. It may be a minority in this country but this is a global issue.
It’s still their choice though. If it offends people and they still don’t change, then that’s up to them.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:32 pm Love the debate, not sure I'm understanding all of it but fully respect everyones opinion. I thought I'd throw this in. I have no intention of belittling the importance of the situation and I fully expect to get pulled to pieces over this but hey all opinions welcome.

At any rugby match and cricket match come to that there is a large contingent of spectators who take to fancy dress and particularly in the six nations there is always an example of chainmail, leeks, berets, ginger wigs, daffodils, thistles, sheep, onions, cockerels, dragons, red roses, kilts, leprechauns, sporrans etc etc.

These are all things associated with a country/nationality and largely worn by the supporters of those nations. Question is if as an Englishman I turned up in a kilt where does that fit in the 'disrespectful' argument. Is the test that you can wear anything associated with a race/nation/ethnic group as long as you are from that race/nation/group otherwise its offensive? I guess I'd need to ask a Scottish person.

I completely agree about the chanting etc at Exeter but is the wearing of a Native American Headress in Exeter so much different to wearing a French Beret in London?

Just asking before all the fancy dress shops are closed down.
:smt005
Always see a few Jimmy McJimmy's at a Scotland match.
Reminds me of the time many years ago when several friends and I went to the cricket as a full English breakfast.
If I recall there was bacon, sausage, egg, mushroom, a tin of beans, a slice of toast, and black pudding.
It's just a bit of fun, every week the same though?
Last edited by BFG on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 am
Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am

I think you may have missed the point, it isn’t the name chiefs that’s the main issue, it’s the using of Native Indian symbology, in their emblem, getting rid of their mascot isn’t going to change that.

If I was a cynic, I would say the cost of having to rebadge, all their playing, training and leisure gear, is the main driver behind this decision
Whatever the reason, Exeter are entitled to use that and choose not to change.
They’re not entitled by anything, they have no genuine link to Native Americans whatsoever and are abusing Hollywood stereotypes for financial gain.

It’ll be interesting to see if pressure will now be exerted onto the RFU or Prem Rugby following Exeter’s decision.
Why does there need to be a link? Maybe they just want to call themselves Exeter Chiefs and in turn, have head gear etc to match up. What link do sharks and Sale have?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

RichieB wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:13 pm My last comment on this topic as I don't believe it is my role to inform, educate or correct. All I know is that if there is a group of people who, as has been suggested find such imagery offensive, then anyone with a degree of compassion would try to do something to change that. There appears to be plenty of evidence around to suggest that the Exeter Chiefs imagery has or could have a negative influence on certain groups of people and whether we agree or not is irrelevant.
The problem is, we love in a snowflake society where you’ll find someone is offended by something so you’ll never please all of the people all of the time.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:01 pm
ourla wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:54 pm I understand that the use of the name "Chiefs" has some history to it - being the name given to the first team.

But when was the native Indian logo first used?
1998 I believe
Yet we are now in 2020. It’s taken 22 years for this to be brought up. Is it a coincidence that we now live in a snow flake society and people are now offended by this? I think not.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Just my opinion and probably a bit unpopular but what is this world coming to . Im against any form of racism or discrimination but I don’t believe Exeter Washington redskins or any other team mean to offend anyone . It’s just a name and a mascot, I’m sure if you took any teams name somebody would find offence to it . Are Worcester really warriors are Saracens really Saracens ? No they are just names and team badges and logos . Just my opinion. There are many many more racist homophobic and discriminating things shown on my tv every day
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:30 pm
ourla wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:54 pm I understand that the use of the name "Chiefs" has some history to it - being the name given to the first team.

1998 I believe
Yet we are now in 2020. It’s taken 22 years for this to be brought up. Is it a coincidence that we now live in a snow flake society and people are now offended by this? I think not.
Starting to really like you 😉
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I think that there is some truth in the statement that the pc brigade are becoming too prevalent but there is still a line that should not be crossed
A2O
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I’m just curious, when will New Zealand be asked to change their nickname?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:37 pm

1998 I believe
Starting to really like you 😉
Are you worried by this! :smt057
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

There is no place for racism in the sport but in my opinion there is much being made out of nothing. I am sure that some of the names, emblems etc used were used for commercial points rather than be referrred to as racist and offensive. The context in which they are being used needs to be taken in consideration....no more YMCA!
Racism has rightly been given the stage and awareness promoted in the process. Education is the next step for everyone as history cannot be turned back but the future can be changed.
I have been brought up living in many overseas countries and associating with friends and colleagues of over 50 nationalities, races and religions.
Racism cannot be condoned and we need to learn.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

What happened to the rugby Forum I used to enjoy? It now lies buried neath a drift of snowflakes blown by whatever political wind comes our way.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

1998 I believe
No, it's taken 22 years for this majority white, privileged (relatively speaking) society to recognise the issue (myself included!). It's been an issue for many years you (i.e. most of us here) just haven't been aware of it.

Comparing the All Blacks to the commercial exploitation of a minority group that has been oppressed throughout history, and is still oppressed - look at the the education/employment/incarceration stats if you don't believe it - is neither funny or relevant.

And this talk of a "snowflake" society is exactly the same as when people spout out the drivel of "all lives matter" in response to black lives matter. Its completely missing the point.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Nothing, throughout the history of the human race has been more evident than man's inhumanity to man. Those acts of inhumanity have not always been a matter of white on black.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"